PDA

View Full Version : Be Carefull When Changing New Wipers

Cool Handz
07-15-2006, 07:37 PM
I was at the local auto shop last week to pick up a new set of wipers for my ride and someone told me that it was on sale at another nearby shop.They are a set of Bosch wipers so today got a chance to pick up a set saving me FREAKING $2 a piece.Thinking that swapping this things are simple so I did it today.I took the old wipers off lifted the arms and the **** Happened.Spring pulled the arm back down so hard it Freeking BUSTED my windshield.Now I'm waiting for the windshield service to fix my busted window the **** will cost $225 but wait phone rings another company calls and said If I take my car to their shop today 28 miles from me the whole thing will cost me $150.Anyways small things that we take for granted sometimes bite us back hard so as a reminder to all folks that there is no simple task until the simple task is done.Carefull out there.

winfred
07-15-2006, 07:38 PM
seen that many a time

Brandon J
07-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Also be careful about getting a windshield installed. You get what you pay for. The better ones (I forgot the brands) have thicker glass and will not fog up as easily as the cheaper ones and will also reduce the wind noise compared to the cheaper ones. The intaller has to be good too or you can end up with a leaking windshield; or wind noise; or if they use too much caulk/windshield stuff, lol, it can trap water instead of letting it run down. I have seen this and the trapped water resulted in rust, and the windshield popping/cracking b/c of the rust.

I was at the local auto shop last week to pick up a new set of wipers for my ride and someone told me that it was on sale at another nearby shop.They are a set of Bosch wipers so today got a chance to pick up a set saving me FREAKING $2 a piece.Thinking that swapping this things are simple so I did it today.I took the old wipers off lifted the arms and the **** Happened.Spring pulled the arm back down so hard it Freeking BUSTED my windshield.Now I'm waiting for the windshield service to fix my busted window the **** will cost $225 but wait phone rings another company calls and said If I take my car to their shop today 28 miles from me the whole thing will cost me $150.Anyways small things that we take for granted sometimes bite us back hard so as a reminder to all folks that there is no simple task until the simple task is done.Carefull out there.

genphreak
07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Also be careful about getting a windshield installed. You get what you pay for. The better ones (I forgot the brands) have thicker glass and will not fog up as easily as the cheaper ones and will also reduce the wind noise compared to the cheaper ones. The intaller has to be good too or you can end up with a leaking windshield; or wind noise; or if they use too much caulk/windshield stuff, lol, it can trap water instead of letting it run down. I have seen this and the trapped water resulted in rust, and the windshield popping/cracking b/c of the rust.Let alone screw up the $500 rubber or refit the thing in such a way that the trims never sit flush again... what a PITA, I almost did this once, was lucky. Instead I busted my windscreen removing the rear vision mirror- twisting by force. I hear one has to crack it hard, not push it gradually- which is the opposite of what one woudl expect with glass! :( Nick

winfred
07-15-2006, 07:57 PM
the shitty ones will also get rock chipped much more easyly, you'd swear big bugs can fisheye the cheep ones

Also be careful about getting a windshield installed. You get what you pay for.

Russell
07-15-2006, 09:44 PM
One week after I got the car, Advance broke the windshield. After much haggling, they had a BMW dealer recommended shop put in a BMW windshield at no charge to me even though cost was over $500. We were able to reuse the trims with new clips.

nuclearfusion
07-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Be careful when you get a new windshield put in - try to get Sicursiv or Sekurit (factory OEM) glass, a new factory OEM clip kit and neither too much nor too little urethane sealant.

The conventional wisdom on this one seems to be it's not worth saving $ on lesser parts, etc.

After you get the new shield done, you might want to consider getting the glass shop to agree to do an "air test" on it in a few days once the urethane has set. They do this by spraying window cleaning mousse on the windshield seal outside and then running a long thin flat nozzle on a low pressure air hose around the perimeter of the glass inside the cabin. Any air leaking from inside to out will cause the mousse on the outside to bubble. Unfortunately if there are any leaks you will have to have the whole thing redone. If it does fail the air test, to avoid redoing the job a glass shop might suggest a "seal bead" of urethane under the window trim. NO to this.

Your glass shop after hearing that you are detail-conscious and insist on checking the work once done may want to use more sealant when they put in the windshield "just to be sure". Please don't let them do that either since too much urethane may allow water to pool and rust to form, etc.

Glass people I know tell me that replacing the windshield on an E34 is a fussy business and easy to get wrong if you don't know exactly what you're doing, use the right parts and tools, etc.

So the upshot of it all is I'd suggest you be careful about who you give it to for the repair, and also careful about the glass itself that is supplied, as well as careful to check the job afterwards, etc. Unfortunately this probably means that your $150 repair might not be the best option.

Sorry to hear what happened to your car, hopefully you get a quality repair.

Fusion

Cool Handz
07-16-2006, 01:36 AM
I got the guys from speedyglass to fix my windshield but I have to wait till Tuesday because they have to pick up the glass from the dealer.According to them there is only one supplier that does that here in SanFrancisco.But Thanks for all the info atleast I know what to keep an eye for when they install a new one.It will also come with warranty still thinking of the brightside it could have been a Big dent on the fender or a Big Ding on my rims or worst a dead chicken hitting you at 100mph then breaking the wind shield.Or freezing the engine because I forgot to put oil back.

Derek A.
07-16-2006, 07:36 AM
When ever I do wiper change - Put down a lorge folded towel. I did the same thing on my car when it was 2 weeks old.

Russell
07-16-2006, 07:55 AM
side note:
I went back to the original BMW wipers with the thin inserts. I had problems with Bosch, Anco and other brands not fitting correctly and even breaking. The driver's side with the air foil was expensive (+-$30)and the longer passenger side was a bit less costly. However, the blades were more flexible and fit the windshield better. All I do is replace the inserts about once a year. BTW, the inserts are a bit of a pain to put in.

rockyfeller
07-16-2006, 08:07 AM
I've always thought "what if that happened?" Never thought it would inflict that much damage though, Ouch! One of my nightmares come true. Sorry to see that man, that sucks!

joshua43214
07-16-2006, 08:55 AM
I did this same thing exactly one time to a customers car, made me feel like a total idiot.

I still have the OE blades on mine and just toss in a set of inserts from time to time, once you get used to it, it only takes a moment, its actualy part of the anual service on the new models, oil change, wiper inserts and inspection. The new still inserts only cost about 3 bucks a pop, much nicer than the old ones that where scary expensive for a strip of rubber.

GJPinAU
07-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Been there, done that!
:( :( :(

darron525
07-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Been there, done that!
:( :( :(
twice!!!

genphreak
07-17-2006, 06:49 AM
One week after I got the car, Advance broke the windshield. After much haggling, they had a BMW dealer recommended shop put in a BMW windshield at no charge to me even though cost was over $500. We were able to reuse the trims with new clips.According to RealOEM the trim is the edge gasket and is worth something like $250. Has anyone replaced this?

RealOEM lists the trims as
02 DECORATIVE FRAME LEFT 9/1988 51318117457 $131.69

03 DECORATIVE FRAME RIGHT 9/1988 51318117458 $131.69

Other board members have remarked this much to me in the past-

On an e34 a few mm of it stick s out along the roofline. Exposure to UV in the sun may crack them over time. I understand that shops can easily crack them when pulling the screen as they are often very brittle.
Has anyone had experience with this stateside? Given all the trouble of doing it right, renewing this sounds like a good idea.

Does anyone know of a cheap source? :) Nick

specialguess
07-17-2006, 06:50 AM
That happen to me 6 years ago. 2 days after I got my car, cost me around $600.00 back then to change the moldings and the winshield.

Cool Handz
07-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Well Want you guys to know that I got my cars winshield fixed and I got blessed with a good deal.The technician that fixed my ride was a car dude and really cool.He will have his own business running soon and the best part I only paid $175 for the whole thing ($150 + $25 tip)with lifetime warranty on crack leak water or air.I got his Number so if you are in my area SanFrancisco I'll be very happy to give you this guys number.We need cool guys like this easy to deal with.He will have his business going next month

txp135
07-18-2006, 08:44 PM
thanks for the heads up. Sorry about your loss