PDA

View Full Version : so, today i ran out of fuel

iainand
07-15-2006, 06:44 PM
i ran out of fuel leaving work today, fuel guage needle showing empty, low fuel warning light on (for a couple of days), OBC showing 65 miles to empty!!!

is it possible to reset the range??? it often suddenly shows 70 miles to empty when approx 1/4 tank left, and still shows the same when low fuel warning light comes on. for information it shows 621+ when full, and approx 300 at half.

gmannino
07-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Same thing happens in my e34, never drive it on empty again.

NovceGuru
07-16-2006, 02:06 AM
I think we just covered a similar thread...I ran mine down too 16miles the other week. I felt so shitty.

shogun
07-16-2006, 02:57 AM
Just read the owners manual and how the consumption is calculated badsd on average....I any case I do not recommend driving to the ..., but that is your problem or not.
PLEASE, study that system before you complain.

rob101
07-16-2006, 03:31 AM
PLEASE, study that system before you complain.
one of the most fascinating aspects of this is.
why the hell was he driving on low fuel light for 3 days, perhaps he needs to study the complicated and technologically advanced "fuel gauge"

iainand
07-16-2006, 12:07 PM
i was only traveling 6 miles a day last week to and from work, the light came on, i checked obc range and it showed i would be ok, so i didnt fill up immediately.

today i put in 5litres of diesel, drove 2 miles to the filling station and filled her up, she took a further 70litres, that by my calculations means i still had 6 litres left in the tank.

ah well now i know, when the fuel needle hits the white block below the red section, the car will stop. ive never let it get that low before, but was just really testing the OBC range.

In my old E28 the range would go right down to about 12 if i remember then show 3 dashes and still continue running for miles before it stopped.

my main reason for the thread is, the range calculation seems way off, it shows 621+ with a full tank, approx 300 at half then it sits around 70ish from not much below half, to the point (i learn) of running out of fuel.

aw well you live and learn