PDA

View Full Version : OT: Just lapped the 'Ring!!!! Still shaking...

Traian
07-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Wooowweeeee, wow that was the most fun I have had in any car, ever! And it was an Audi! My friend and I wanted to rent an economy car to take to the Nürburgring for a few laps, but ended up with an Audi A6 3.0 TDi instead of the Opel Astra they promised us. Oh well, we are fine upstanding citizens, so we put up with the turbo 3.0L power, quattro AWD, sat-nav, leather, DVD player, etc... That's life you know, you gotta live with it! ;)

Well, Nürburg is awesome, it's just packed full with every type of car and bike nut you can imagine, from vintage BMW 2002s and Steinmetz Opel Commodores to Porsche 911 GT3 RSs to Lotus Elises to the most gorgeous E34s I've seen outside of this site. I only had my poor 35mm camera with me, but as soon as my friend's digitals are up, I will post them!

Well, to cut to the chase we bought 56 Euros worth of laps (4), and I went out first. It is an absolutely wild, magnificent ride! I've only once or twice played the track in a video game, and the real thing is just so far removed from that its unbelievable. The track is gorgeous, it winds through the forest for about 22km, the elevation changes are huge and knock the wind out of you under throttle, the majority of corners are blind, and everything is set up so that if you get it right it's the most satisfying piece of driving you've ever experienced (or at least it was for me). The camber changes are huge and sudden, but they flow into one another somehow so it almost seems like the car is dancing, and the S's are designed so nice, even with our diesel it was challenging to get a really nice line thoughout.

After the first lap, all my fingers were shaking and I couldn't stop laughing. Our car stank like burning rubber more than any other in the lot, and plumes of smoke rose up from the rear wheel wells. We actually did quite well, there were a few embarassements like a little VW Lupo with a roll cage and a mean sounding exhaust that left us standing, but otherwise we managed to keep up with and even pass much faster cars, not to mention pretty much all the motorcycles. Not a bad showing for the TDi. And we hit 220km/h on the Autobahn a couple of times, which is, you know, always a bonus (I think the highest we hit on the ring was about 190 on the back straight).

Best of all, at the end of the day there was no overheating, no warning lights, no failed brakes, no dings or scratches, just the most fun I've ever had in a car in my whole life!

SC David
07-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Sounds awesome! I want to do that someday.

Looking forward to your pictures.

Nick.Hay
07-16-2006, 02:06 AM
You are a lucky bastard...

I'll get my turn, one day!

shogun
07-16-2006, 02:10 AM
A man has to do some things.....
One of them if THE RING
i did it

Traian
07-17-2006, 05:43 AM
You should go if you're ever in Germany/France, the travel times are so short.

Here's our bad boy at the track's toll booth:
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=entry3116jv4.jpg

I have about another 30 pics or so, but I will put them up when I do a writeup for my site and post that as well.

DanDombrowski
07-17-2006, 07:12 AM
When we went to Germany, we actually drove past it, but did not go on it. I really, really wanted to, but I couldn't find any rental company that would offer insurance. Did you just risk it, or did you find a company that allowed the car to be driven on the ring and insured?

Traian
07-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Well, they didn't specifically disallow it and that is basically what we went by. Of course, I don't doubt that had we stuffed the 50000 Euro Audi on the track, we would have been in a whole world of trouble... I don't trust insurance companies in general, so even if they had explicitly said 'Drive on the 'Ring, crash as many times as you want, we foot the bills!' I'd still be skeptical...