PDA

View Full Version : New Headunit Install problem

SnakeyesTx
07-15-2006, 05:13 PM
On my 95 I had a bear of a time getting the factory harness unplugged from the stock stereo. Eventually I got it out and plugged in my adapter harness for my aftermarket Pioneer deck. While I was in there I went ahead and wired the pre-outs for an amp in the trunk for a pair of subs. After many hours, I got everything together and the subs work fine, but I have zero sound out of the interior 10 speakers.

Do I have to hunt down the factory amp (where is it hidden?) and somehow wire around it, and if so, how?

If it matters, the headunit is a Pioneer DEH-850 Premier 50x4 which I've used in my last 2 cars.

gmannino
07-15-2006, 11:16 PM
What you need to do it wire the remote turn on wires to trigger the factory amp to turn on. In the bmw harness you will see a white wire. THis white wire needs to see positive 12 volts when the radio is on and 0 or negative when the radio is off.

The remote turn on wires from the pioneer deck is blue with white stripe.
The remote turn on wires from the factory amp is white.
This will solve your problem.

SnakeyesTx
07-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Oh! On mine, I had this small connector almost like the antenna one that went into the factory radio, is this the wire you're referring to? Also, I have that remote trigger (blue) wire going to my amp back to the trunk, will it be okay to branch it for both uses?

If I have to use that one, should I just stick a pin in the middle of that wire and connect the wire to it? I'll try to take a picture of the wire in question in the morning if you need to see it.

What you need to do it wire the remote turn on wires to trigger the factory amp to turn on. In the bmw harness you will see a white wire. THis white wire needs to see positive 12 volts when the radio is on and 0 or negative when the radio is off.

The remote turn on wires from the pioneer deck is blue with white stripe.
The remote turn on wires from the factory amp is white.
This will solve your problem.

gmannino
07-16-2006, 02:28 AM
yes you can branch the remote wires going into the trunk to the factory amp. That extra wire you are talking about might be ground. You need to find the white wire in the harness and connect blue/white to it.

SnakeyesTx
07-16-2006, 01:58 PM
I found it. It was a wire that went nowhere on the other end of the adapter harness. The white turned more like a beige I guess from heat and age but it works great now, thanks much for all the help :D