PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic fluid overflowing

JAK
07-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi there everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am in need of help.
Recently, my brother had mixed the hydraulic/steering fluid with something bad from canadian tire.

A few days later the old stuff + mixed with the new started overflowing from the reservoir. I thought maybe it was a reaction of the two fluid which caused it and the next day when i saw the reservoir tank i noticed it was kind of foamy and bubbly. By the following morning, when I had taken a second look the tank was completely empty.

So I went to BMW and bought the good stuff (Pentosin ch7.1) and put that in. A few days later, that, too, had overflown coming from the top of the reservoir. And there must have been some sort of pressure that it leaked from the top with the bolt/screw thing on.

What do you think my problem could be? Could it be the pump/rack? Or has anyone else come across this to suggest anything?

Thank you very much

JAK

joshua43214
07-15-2006, 01:20 PM
What was put in it? does the label specify ch7.1? mine uses chf11s. What kind of car is it? I assume a BMW but they made alot of different cars. Really ned a little bit of help from you if you want help from us

Bill R.
07-15-2006, 02:35 PM
hydroboost and you have a bad valve in it then it will overfill the reservoir if the car sits overnight for example.

Hi there everyone,

Recently, my brother had mixed the hydraulic/steering fluid with something bad from canadian tire.

A few days later the old stuff + mixed with the new started overflowing from the reservoir. I thought maybe it was a reaction of the two fluid which caused it and the next day when i saw the reservoir tank i noticed it was kind of foamy and bubbly. By the following morning, when I had taken a second look the tank was completely empty.

So I went to BMW and bought the good stuff (Pentosin ch7.1) and put that in. A few days later, that, too, had overflown coming from the top of the reservoir. And there must have been some sort of pressure that it leaked from the top with the bolt/screw thing on.

What do you think my problem could be? Could it be the pump/rack? Or has anyone else come across this to suggest anything?

Thank you very much

JAK

rob101
07-15-2006, 07:32 PM
hydroboost and you have a bad valve in it then it will overfill the reservoir if the car sits overnight for example.
do you mean the brake booster that runs off the power steering, I have had this happen to me, the brake booster does weird things to the level of the hydraulic fluid

Bill R.
07-15-2006, 07:45 PM
brake booster then the only accurate way to check the level is to have the car sitting cold and with the engine and key off, pump the brake pedal at least 20 times. Then check the fluid level in the hydraulic reservoir. When you pump the brake you bleed out all the pressure thats stored in the pressure accumulator and the fluid level will rise. So you fill it to the mark when all the pressure is bled out and then you start the car. The fluid level will go down quite a bit but you don't add any more to it, unless you always pump the pedal 20 times before checking.

do you mean the brake booster that runs off the power steering, I have had this happen to me, the brake booster does weird things to the level of the hydraulic fluid

winfred
07-15-2006, 07:54 PM
yep, and sometimes it will lock the brakes while sitting in traffic if it's overfilled too if the reservoir cap seals good enough, the brakes won't release till you get off the pedal and the pump sucks the fluid down, i don't like to fill it more then about a inch from the top at it's highest point, usually to the bottom of the screen on the cars with the big metal reservoir

brake booster then the only accurate way to check the level is to have the car sitting cold and with the engine and key off, pump the brake pedal at least 20 times. Then check the fluid level in the hydraulic reservoir. When you pump the brake you bleed out all the pressure thats stored in the pressure accumulator and the fluid level will rise. So you fill it to the mark when all the pressure is bled out and then you start the car. The fluid level will go down quite a bit but you don't add any more to it, unless you always pump the pedal 20 times before checking.

rob101
07-15-2006, 08:32 PM
yep, and sometimes it will lock the brakes while sitting in traffic if it's overfilled too if the reservoir cap seals good enough, the brakes won't release till you get off the pedal and the pump sucks the fluid down, i don't like to fill it more then about a inch from the top at it's highest point, usually to the bottom of the screen on the cars with the big metal reservoir
oooh sounds like fun not!
nah i had my e28 parked up on a slope in the car port one day and a far amount leaked out after changing the accumulator, anyway its all good now.

genphreak
07-15-2006, 08:51 PM
oooh sounds like fun not!
nah i had my e28 parked up on a slope in the car port one day and a far amount leaked out after changing the accumulator, anyway its all good now.A lot of the time the cap seal goes and no one thinks to replaces it. They it lets air in and your fluid goes off, you get rust in the system and everything (master cyl, calipers, etc) just screws up.

It's always worth making sure your cap seal is good for the sake of $2. :) nick

rob101
07-15-2006, 09:07 PM
A lot of the time the cap seal goes and no one thinks to replaces it. They it lets air in and your fluid goes off, you get rust in the system and everything (master cyl, calipers, etc) just screws up.

It's always worth making sure your cap seal is good for the sake of $2. :) nick
well i did recently replace the Brake master cap but i think you are getting mixed up with the brake hydraulic system.
we're talking about the hydraulic oil in the powersteering circuit as some earlier bmws don't run vacuum brake boosters, they run the brake boost off the powersteering hydraulic circuit. it seeped out because the reserviour overflowed because when i opened it was full the brim (and its only meant to be up the metal mesh part).

mamilapon
07-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi there everyone,

Thank you very much

JAK
Tell us what car have you got!

shogun
07-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Most of the people just overfill the reservoir, read the info from Bill R.

And when it flows out overnight, then the regulating valve under the rear is defective or needsadjustment. The info is on my page, also this where you can see a cross section drawing of the valve and the other parts
EDC/LAD Niveauregulierung / electronic shock absorber (german)
Einstellung der Niveauregulierung = that is the adjustment prucedure

JAK
07-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Thanks Everyone for your input!!

It's actually and E32 and today when i had taken a better look...now, i don't think its actually overflowing. There is a leak in the lines.

When I was putting more fluid in today and kept the reservoir open, left the car on idle, then started slowly steering to left/right I noticed it was squirting all the fluid out and ontop of the reservoir area, making it look like it was actually overflowing.

I'm going to replace the hose for now and see how that goes.

I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again!

shogun
07-16-2006, 02:48 AM
JaK.
do yourselves a favor and complete your personal data. Helps a lot to help you. glad that we did not talk about another brand. This was one of the worst approaches to get help with NO info.
Even now you just say E32, what's the rest?
I cannot believe tat someone is asking for hep with such info....