PDA

View Full Version : wet road + 1st gear stupidity = wtf

rob101
07-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I had another trade mark insane power oversteer incident on a damp road today, i am starting to wonder how this is possible in a m50 with 235s on the back. i was doing a right turn after seeing a 200sx and thought about turning quickly might have squeezed the throttle a bit more than usual, i must admit its a very strange feeling feeling the back step out at about walking pace :p must have looked quite odd in the 200sx's rear view mirror as she bit back quite hard when i countersteered.
oh well thats my automotive valium for the next 2 months i've been driving too much late at night in the city. and when you have the road to yourself its easy to get evil ideas.

genphreak
07-15-2006, 10:15 AM
I had another trade mark insane power oversteer incident on a damp road today, i am starting to wonder how this is possible in a m50 with 235s on the back. i was doing a right turn after seeing a 200sx and thought about turning quickly might have squeezed the throttle a bit more than usual, i must admit its a very strange feeling feeling the back step out at about walking pace :p must have looked quite odd in the 200sx's rear view mirror as she bit back quite hard when i countersteered.
oh well thats my automotive valium for the next 2 months i've been driving too much late at night in the city. and when you have the road to yourself its easy to get evil ideas.I take it it wasn't wet... perhaps the road was oily at the point where she 'wooped out' (hence the hard backbite...)

Or maybe you are suffering denial or amnesia (ie forgot your foot hit the floor when you saw the possibility of some competiton)...

Qube
07-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Oh yeah. Power over is quite easy in our cars. Makes it fun when no one is around...

Alexlind123
07-15-2006, 01:24 PM
I have found that power oversteer in my car is easy but predicatble. The car feels balanced and poised and in control even when oversteering.

joshua43214
07-15-2006, 01:27 PM
What kind of tires are you running? My worn out Michelins don't step out like that unless try.

Tiger
07-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Your need new tires. When my tire are nearly bald and cheap... it slid like crazy.

angrypancake
07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Your need new tires. When my tire are nearly bald and cheap... it slid like crazy.

+1 i slid into a rock wall. bummer.

jrobbo
07-15-2006, 05:02 PM
I have found that power oversteer in my car is easy but predicatble. The car feels balanced and poised and in control even when oversteering.
I agree, the power oversteer in my car is very predictable and very easily balanced on the throttle. My car has Yokohama V102 265's on the rear. 300+ hp + LSD makes for great power slides :-)

Regards

John

Paul in NZ
07-15-2006, 07:15 PM
my 535 with lsd and half worn 235 tyres is actually quite hard to break loose...

rob101
07-15-2006, 07:25 PM
I take it it wasn't wet... perhaps the road was oily at the point where she 'wooped out' (hence the hard backbite...)

Or maybe you are suffering denial or amnesia (ie forgot your foot hit the floor when you saw the possibility of some competiton)...
it was a bit wet, but it wasn't raining you know the point where the road is dry where the cars have been driving but not completely dry.
the foot didn't goto the floor it must be my chinese rice tyres on the rear.
anyway they are soon to be going to the chinese tyre factory in the sky. I am going to replace the subframe bushes as well.

winfred
07-15-2006, 07:45 PM
i get a kick out of drifting my truck around in the wet, nothing like absurd amounts of torque breaking loose 4 235/85/16"s with posi traction and drifting the assend of a 7500 pound monster around :D

TheEndIsNear
07-16-2006, 10:20 AM
That's a common problem with those speed rated ricer tires. They track like nothing else on dry pavement but once that super solid rubber hits water there usless... Learned that real quick in my Mustang. Get yourself a nice set of good all season sport tires.

Alexlind123
07-16-2006, 01:39 PM
That's a common problem with those speed rated ricer tires. They track like nothing else on dry pavement but once that super solid rubber hits water there usless... Learned that real quick in my Mustang. Get yourself a nice set of good all season sport tires.

Mustangs have absurdly terrible weight distribution, and spin their tires and oversteer very readily as a result.

Zeuk in Oz
07-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a job for some nice new Michelins.

Being now officially an old fart, let me give you some advice.

Buy tyres you can't afford.

Best investment you will ever make. ( or else you might not get to be an old fart and give advice like this you young whippersnappers ! :D )

Cheers,

Bo

Edit : I was given this advice when I was young whippersnapper and that's probably why I am now an old fart.

Alexlind123
07-16-2006, 05:26 PM

Best investment you will ever make. ( or else you might not get to be an old fart and give advice like this you young whippersnappers ! :D )

Cheers,

Bo

Edit : I was given this advice when I was young whippersnapper and that's probably why I am now an old fart.

My dad always buys good tires, but mine came with the car when i got it. I think mine are good tho, they are "Lemans SR" P225/60 R15 95T M+S.

mholbrook
07-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Could be your tire pressures are too low or low on one side.

rob101
07-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Cheers,

Bo

lol don't worry i'll get them, michelins ay? hmmmmm what is the rim width for 17" T-stars
they are NOT copies

jrobbo
07-16-2006, 09:36 PM
The Throwing stars are just caps over the wheels. The wheels were available in either 17x8 or 17x9, and the standard tyres were 235/45 for the 17x8 and 255/40 for the 17x9.

If you pull the wheel off, you'll see the size stamped on the inside of one of the spokes

Regards

John