PDA

View Full Version : Glove Box Lockout Update

SnakeyesTx
07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I got the glove box open tonight, and boy was I in for a suprise. I'll get into that later. The latch is made out of some really flimsy pot-metal that's brass colored, and naturally broken. Anyway, I haven't seen anyone suggest this so I may have just found an ingenius way of opening broken latched glove boxes without tearing up the trim, or using coathangers to potentially ruin the interior pieces.

Step 1 : Take out the passenger side airbag (the cover pops right off, and there's a few allen head bolts holding the bag in. You can easily move it out of the way).
Step 2 : Reach in the hole under the airbag with needlenose pliers and push in the pins of the latch and watch the door drop in your lap.
Step 3 : Remove the two screws that hold the latch on (the handle on the outside of the door should drop onto the floor)

Installation is reverse of removal. I couldn't believe how easy that was and how accessible everything is.

Now for the shocking suprise. The previous owner was absolutely the *best* kind of person to buy a car from. He was the original owner, and inside the glove box was *every single receipt* for everything my 525 has ever had done, including the original bill of sale, options list, and the original warranty window sticker. This guy spent well over 15 thousand on maintenence, repairs and registrations/inspections for what is clearly a meticulously maintained car. I was so glad to see all the parts I questioned had been replaced within the last 3 years giving me a lot of peace of mind.

BillionPa
07-14-2006, 01:48 AM
nice!

Russell
07-14-2006, 06:36 AM
Not so lucky.
Mine had all the manuals, radio code, option list etc. However, no receipts. I did contact the only PO and found he had thrown away the records?? However, each dealer that serviced the car sent me a printout or faxed records to me. Almost complete set of records. BTW, great find in the glove box.