PDA

View Full Version : battery install question

bbig119
07-13-2006, 09:47 PM
After reading through some posts here, I bought a durlast 49-DL to replace an optima that's been giving me some problems the last couple of weeks. The optima was install by a previous owner a couple years back.

The duralast is much bigger than the optima that it replaced. I don't know what was stock and what was not, but the optima was sitting on a foam pad (about 3/8 inch thick). There was also another foam pad between the mounting bracket and top of the battery(same material). I suppose this allowed a nice snug fit. I managed to get the new battery in place(on top of this foam pad), but the mounting aluminum bracket is a pain was a total pain in the ass to get attached(particularly to the end at the top of the battery. Now let me get to the problems/questions.

1) nearly impossible to get the bracket installed with foam pad (are they supposed to be there, or a mod that the PO used to get the optima to fit better?).
2) the battery is taller than the optima and I can't get anything to hold the nut at the top end of the mounting bracket while I tighten the screw-- the gap between the battery and the metal that the bracket mounts to on the seat frame is too small (maybe the foam pad the battery is sitting on is causing this problem).
3) When the bracket is installed its interfering (squeezing) the vent tube. The vent port sits behind the bracket. I don't think its compressed enough to prevent flow, but its hard to tell.

BillionPa
07-14-2006, 01:43 AM
the optima batt is NOT designed to fit in the E34.

im using a block of wood, im sure that no other battery would fit with that in there.

Javier
07-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Javier

VentoGT
07-14-2006, 08:25 AM
I also have no foam padding at all. The correct battery is a rectangular one about a foot in length and maybe 6" high and 4" deep. I can't remember the model number, but that is what the factory battery and my replacement from NTB looked like.

632 Regal
07-14-2006, 08:41 AM
the 49DL is the correct battery, remove the hack foam stuff and it should fit like a glove. remember to route the vent tube to the underside of the car.

Bill R.
07-14-2006, 08:55 AM
came in it originally, if you remove all the foam that was added for the optima and slide the battery all the way toward the passenger side you'll see there's just barely enough room for the vent tube to clear the clamp, its real close but the tube isn't compressed.

After reading through some posts here, I bought a durlast 49-DL to replace an optima that's been giving me some problems the last couple of weeks. The optima was install by a previous owner a couple years back.

The duralast is much bigger than the optima that it replaced. I don't know what was stock and what was not, but the optima was sitting on a foam pad (about 3/8 inch thick). There was also another foam pad between the mounting bracket and top of the battery(same material). I suppose this allowed a nice snug fit. I managed to get the new battery in place(on top of this foam pad), but the mounting aluminum bracket is a pain was a total pain in the ass to get attached(particularly to the end at the top of the battery. Now let me get to the problems/questions.

1) nearly impossible to get the bracket installed with foam pad (are they supposed to be there, or a mod that the PO used to get the optima to fit better?).
2) the battery is taller than the optima and I can't get anything to hold the nut at the top end of the mounting bracket while I tighten the screw-- the gap between the battery and the metal that the bracket mounts to on the seat frame is too small (maybe the foam pad the battery is sitting on is causing this problem).
3) When the bracket is installed its interfering (squeezing) the vent tube. The vent port sits behind the bracket. I don't think its compressed enough to prevent flow, but its hard to tell.

bbig119
07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.

On a similar note, what's this that I've read in some threads about protective pads to prevent any crap from the battery spilling out on the metal frame and corroding it? Should I bother?

Bill R.
07-14-2006, 09:22 AM
spotless, if you start getting corrosion back there then typically its overcharging and the vent tube isn't hooked up. Or the seal where the lead battery post comes out of the case is bad , if thats the case then the corrosion and leakage around the terminal is obvious and you take the battery back. Some people who tighten the battery terminals down without holding onto the battery clamp can tweek the post hard enough to break the seal at the case. Don't overtighten the terminals and always hold the battery cable end with one hand while tightening the terminal with the other so that no force is applied pulling the battery post to one side.

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.

On a similar note, what's this that I've read in some threads about protective pads to prevent any crap from the battery spilling out on the metal frame and corroding it? Should I bother?

Qsilver7
07-14-2006, 02:09 PM
here's some visuals....
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_79_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_83_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_84_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_85_full.jpg

bbig119
07-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks Q. I saw some of those photos before in a thread, but last night at 10pm out in the dark under a drop light sweating bullets, I just couldn't remember if the foam was part of the equation or not. I played it safe and in doing so I struggled for hours. I'm expecting to go home remove the foam and have the battery back in properly in less than 20 minutes.

bbig119
07-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Just an update and thanks for the replies. A couple days ago I got removed the trouble foam and the new battery fits like a glove, no vent tube crimping-- perfect. Took me less than 20 minutes.

Alexlind123
07-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Is it bad if i dont have a vent tube?

Yiorgos
07-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Good news on the battery.

For the person who asked about protection from corrosion, I had finally managed to find some time a few weeks back to clean my car and thought that I should check under the rear seat to make sure everything was OK (and replace the fuse for rear demister -- but that's another story).

I removed the bracket for my battery to inspect it and make sure that it's OK. I didn't find any corrosion on the battery, but there was a little on the metal bracket, so I sanded this back (assuming the corrosion was from a previous battery with a previous owner, and the owner didn't bother to clean up) and I found a heat shrink tube that was about the same length as the bracket, massaged that on (took a little while) and by using the heat gun stuck the heatshrink on.

So now my bracket is plastic-coated, in case the battery does corrode, and everything sits perfectly in the compartment.

Bill R.
07-16-2006, 11:25 PM
hydrogen gas which is very explosive, Think Hindenburg,

I know I know it wasn't the hydrogen's fault but it sure did feed the fire.

Anyway the vent tube allows this hydrogen gas to escape out the bottom of the car. Without the vent tube the hydrogen will build up in the area under the seat just waiting for the right spark to set it off... Many years ago
I had a customers volkswagen battery blow up when i had the back seat out and was checking the charging system with it running , battery acid went all over the headliner and entire interior of the car as well as soaking me pretty good too. Hook up the Vent tube.

Is it bad if i dont have a vent tube?