PDA

View Full Version : brake issue

vgame64
07-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi, my '95 525i brakes are making a lot of squealing sounds and the rotors and pads were changed only a few months ago. I took it to the dealer and they said that my fluid needed to be flushed and replaced. Does this sound right?

How much fluid is needed for a complete change? Thanks

DanDombrowski
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Um, run?

Brake fluid has NOTHING to do with squealing brakes.

I would run from that shop. They're absolutely doing nothing to fix your problem, just trying to make more money off of you. That doesn't mean that the brake fluid doesn't need to be flushed at its age, but it certainly doesn't address the problem.

vgame64
07-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Arite, sounds good. Regardless though, I want to have the fluid changed, how much fluid is needed for a complete flush and refill.

BillionPa
07-13-2006, 04:24 PM
one liter for a REALLY good flush.

make sure you get DOT4 only.

BillionPa
07-13-2006, 04:25 PM
oh by the way, squeeling is either caused by pads that have worn down to the metal backing, or lack of plastilube (or other anti squeal compound) on tha parts of the pads that touch the calipers.

vgame64
07-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Got it. Thanks!

Jr ///M5
07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
The dealer is probably correct in assuming your brake fluid needs flushed. He's wrong about it causing a squealing sound with the brakes just like Dan says.

If your brakes were changed just a few months ago, and they are squealing now, they probably were just "changed" and that's it. There is a little more to it than merely replacing pads and rotors. There are contact points on the pad ears that need to be lubed with synthetic grease, very little mind you. There are slide pins that also require lubrication. The calipers should be cleaned very well with cleaner and the back of the pads treated with either the anti-squeal shim or compound.

In defense of the dealer, there are complications that can occur from not bleeding and flushing the brake fluid on the maintenance schedule. Contaminated fluid causes the cylinder walls of the brake caliper to pit and rust. Causing the piston to seize and eventually the caliper will fail. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and will eventually be contaminated with water. In order to keep the pistons and walls spotlessly clean, it is necessary to flush the system every 2 years.

It's really simple to do, and you should employ one of your area fellow BMWCCA wrenchheads to help you the first time so you can return the favor. It takes two to bleed the brakes, unless you build or buy a pressure bleeder.

Hope this helps.
Jr

BillionPa
07-13-2006, 05:35 PM
this is the time when i mention how awesome Speed Bleeders are, 1 person to bleed, no pressure bleeder required!

vgame64
07-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the information. I am going to find someone in the Central NJ area who would like to help me as I have nearly no experience working on automobiles.