PDA

View Full Version : You know what - here are all the other problems im having - please help!!!

ber55ber55
07-13-2006, 03:22 PM
1990 5-spd 525i - m20 SOHC - manufactured 05/90
Located in SoCal
123k miles on the car

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
figured ill put all my issues on this forum to see what people say

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
Check engine light randomly comes on. IT does come on the majority of the time and always when im either rolling in neutral, at a stop, or rolling in like 5th gear ( anytime im not on the throttle) and the second I touch the throttle it turns off. BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT SOMETIMES IT DOESNT COME ON!!!!! I plugged in my reset tool i bought from bavauto.com that also reads a small amount of codes and it said its LAMBDA Replaced cats and 02. Also replaced intake manifold gasket. What could this be? Really starting to get on my nerves.

CENTRAL LOOKING SYSTEM
Lastly, my CLS has been acting up. When I unlock the car the first time....it locks itself again, but the second time I unlock it, it stays open. Que?

CHECK COOLENT (warning on dash)
The other day when i flushed the cooling system and refilled it.....I bleed it and everything and its not overheating, but now the check coolent warning is coming on!!! The level is above the minimum cold and warm. Its basically to the max. Could this just be the sensor? Im thinking i got water on the plug or sensor and it shorted out or went bad. Let me know what else it could be.

thanks

Espen
07-13-2006, 03:38 PM
1990 5-spd 525i - m20 SOHC - manufactured 05/90
Located in SoCal
123k miles on the car

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
figured ill put all my issues on this forum to see what people say

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

CENTRAL LOOKING SYSTEM

CHECK COOLENT (warning on dash)

Check Engine light:
Pass.. dont have a clue

Central locking:
The GM module gets a signal that one of the doors did not unlock, so it locks.
Check the hinge harness (search for "hinge harness")

Check Coolant:
You have allready answered this one yourself. The message is lying right? You have checked the level yourself, and its OK.
Buy a new sensor, theese fail sooner or later.

BillionPa
07-13-2006, 04:28 PM
I have the exact same issue with the check engine light, O2 sensor replacement (it needed them anyway) made it happen about half as often, but it still happens. I attribute it to the Dinan chip in the DME, but it could be something else.

Only happens when the engine is warm, and foot is off the throttle, and the engine speed is very low, like 1000rpms or less.

ber55ber55
07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
yes the driver door does not lock. the fine wont go down because i had to break in the car because the battery died so the cls didnt function and i had to get it open another way. if thats it, then i just need to fix the door and it will be fine.

yeah i figured it was just a bad sensor.....

e39dream
07-13-2006, 05:58 PM
fyi there is never a need to break into the car with dead battery. ( I guess maybe if both keys are in it, lol) put the darn key in the door and turn firmly left, further than normal, also known as emergency unlock. bingo!

ThoreauHD
07-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Replace the drivers side door actuator.

http://www.bmw4life.com/doorLockActuator.htm

gmannino
07-13-2006, 07:19 PM
The first problem you are having I believe has to do with a vacuum line. Try looking over your engine completely for any loose vacuum lines. I've heard that gasket failure at the intake manifold and Cylinder head will cause this problem also.

For the locking problem, replacing the actuator will do nothing because your actuators do work. I would make sure that your trunk and doors are closing firmly when you lock it. Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be. try looking for the hinge harness.

And lastly, for the cooling switch problem. I would try to re-bleed and re-bleed your system to get any air out and ensure that there is sufficient coolant in it. Follow your bentley manual or check www.bmwe34.net for proper coolant replacement procedures. I believe there is a check process to test your coolant level sensor, It might just be bad.

ber55ber55
07-13-2006, 10:29 PM
im telling you though....i had to break in...i know about the emergency unlock

i kept turning the key left and right left and right. hard, almost to the point that the key bent. i pryed the door handle cover off, unscrew a couple screws, try to unlock, and it worked. this **** happened over night.

ive replaced all my vacuum hoses, intake manifold gasket and o2 sensor. i dont know what else it could be, other then the throttle position sensor because it only does it when im off throttle. but i guess those are the symptoms of a vacuum leak as well. maybe i will dig deeper. thanks

ber55ber55
07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Okay...update with the check engine light......

When I am at a light....after about 10 seconds it turns on.....
----BUT----If i turn on the a/c....it goes away and doesnt come back....even if i turn the a/c off again. I even turned it off...hit the throttle a little, waited, and it didnt come back. NExt time i start the car again though --- ITS BACK!

CLS---
Fixed - driver door mech. was just stuck - - took out and unjammed it

COOLENT WARNING---
Still on. If the coolent level is too high - could that also make the light come on? At the moment the level is well above min

joshua43214
07-19-2006, 05:00 AM
What is the code you getting now since you replaced the sensor?

Door locls are well covered here, should e something in search.

coolant level sensors fails alot, check its connection for corrosion too.

Mendozart
07-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Do a stomp test to see what code you're getting. This might help narrow things down.
As far as the coolant message, unplug your coolant sensor and spray out connector with electrical spray. I usually have to do this every couple months or so. This is the sensor down at the bottom of radiator right below expansion tank.

ber55ber55
07-19-2006, 10:03 PM
i fixed the door locks, they are 100% again, the CEL is still just showing up LAMBDA, i checked the sensor for corrision, nothing, clean it anyway, im gonna wd40 it 2morrow, and see whats up then.