PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! $2300 repair quote in hand

1995 525i
07-13-2006, 01:36 PM
I took my car for service today because I had the trans error message come up yesterday and the car went into limp mode. I took the terminals off the battery and let the system reset itself. Car drove fine after I did that and drove fine on the way into work this morning.

At the shop the guys told me that I needed the following:

Transmission Control module: $1536.00
Oil Pan Gasket: $343.00
Transmission pan gasket: $226
Coolant expansion tank: $236

Total: $2341

Not sure about prices for a control module, but does this all seem a bit high? Can I get a used one? If so, is it hard to install? They said they would install a used one if I wanted to look for one.

They told me my pan gaskets were leaking (although I haven't noticed any leaking) and my coolant tank was leaking (although, again, I haven't noticed any leaking).

Can I keep driving without changing the trans module? Will I damage my car more by doing so? Cn I get a used one and from where?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

yaofeng
07-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Are you telling me my trans control module is worth that much?

1995 525i
07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Are you telling me my trans control module is worth that much?

Maybe. Seeing as how they are charging $343 for an oil pan gasket that is worth $23, I'm sure there is a slight mark up.

dbals
07-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Did you take it to a BMW dealer?

632 Regal
07-13-2006, 01:51 PM
if you splurge for that you really should be sending me installments for advice.

They are there to make money I understand but 10,000% upcharging because they dont have a clue and dont want to get stung is assinine. I'll bet they didnt even properly check the trans fluid whick can cause that error and limp mode.

start simple :D

Russell
07-13-2006, 01:53 PM
transmission service with filter/gaskets and fluid change at an Indy should only cost beteen $100-$150 depending on labor rates. I would take the car somewhere else for a second estimate.

The trans program issue is the only one that seems to be a potential show stopper. Other people will now more. good luck.

Qube
07-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Yeah, seems high. You'll want to get them to disclose their projected 'labor' time for all that, then we'll see the waste.

1995 525i
07-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Did you take it to a BMW dealer?

I didn't...

DanH
07-13-2006, 02:19 PM
If you really need a new computer...
Used trans computers available for about $50 + shipping.

Click here (http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=USA&userIMS=&userInterchange=B%40%3DC%3F&userSide=&userDate=1995&userDate2=1995&dbModel=9.14.2.2&userModel=BMW%20525i&dbPart=591.5&userPart=Transmission%20Computer&sessionID=394&sURL=car-part.com&userPreference=price&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=2) for a link to car-part.com trans computer listings...

1995 525i
07-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah, seems high. You'll want to get them to disclose their projected 'labor' time for all that, then we'll see the waste.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm on the prowl for a used TCM.

e39dream
50 buks vs. 1500, hmm I dunno guys..

Evan
tell us where you took it so we can avoid them... jeeebus chrismus.

Rigmaster
07-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Michael,

as others have mentioned, you can pickup a used tranny control module for alot less than new. I have a '95 525i parts car that should have the correct module. Installation is a 5 minute job- unless there's some sort of "procedure" that I'm not aware of besides swapping the boxes.

The other stuff sounds like it could probably wait- unless you've been losing fluids, most 10+ year old cars have all sorts of seepage. Just keep a close eye on the fluids and decide for yourself- is it cheaper to add a $2 QT of oil every once in a while, or shell out the $$$ for the oil pan replacement?

And if they are really charging $343 for an oil pan gasket that is worth $23, I'd find a new shop- but I suspect that the $343 includes labor as well, correct??

Care to divulge which shop gave you this estimate????

:)

Bret.

1995 525i
07-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Michael,

as others have mentioned, you can pickup a used tranny control module for alot less than new. I have a '95 525i parts car that should have the correct module. Installation is a 5 minute job- unless there's some sort of "procedure" that I'm not aware of besides swapping the boxes.

The other stuff sounds like it could probably wait- unless you've been losing fluids, most 10+ year old cars have all sorts of seepage. Just keep a close eye on the fluids and decide for yourself- is it cheaper to add a $2 QT of oil every once in a while, or shell out the $$$ for the oil pan replacement?

And if they are really charging $343 for an oil pan gasket that is worth $23, I'd find a new shop- but I suspect that the $343 includes labor as well, correct??

Care to divulge which shop gave you this estimate????

:)

Bret.

Thanks Bret! If you have one I can get from you I would be a happy camper. I emailed you the name of the place so you'll know who they are.

just let me know how much you want for it and when I can come and get it.
:D

Michael

billb
07-13-2006, 03:09 PM
...Michael's car is not in $2341 worth of bad shape! I know the shop he took the car to. I only take my car to two independents, and really trust the advice of only one.

We're going to take a look at the other items next week, but I'm guessing there's just the normal seepage under there. $236 for an expansion tank? We can put a new radiator in for $189 delivered!

BillionPa
07-13-2006, 04:35 PM
TCM eh.... i dunno, could be something else, like that so called "ground wire to the tcm loose" issue or whatever the hell that was

Dash01
07-13-2006, 05:03 PM
I damn sure would not buy a new TCM. And, before I spent the ~$50 for a good used one, I'd check and clean the connections to the old one to see if that fixes the problem.

That much is free.

For ~$10 I'd buy a Radio Shack soldering pen, and re-flow the connections and circuit board in the old TCM. If in fact the old TCM is faulty, there's a pretty good chance that this procedure would fix it. Then, you'll have a soldering pen for other stuff.

On general principles, I'd also ask myself about the wisdom and legality of throwing a brick through the window of the joint that gave you such a high quote.

ThoreauHD
07-13-2006, 06:54 PM
The best defense is to run away.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/anal_rape.jpg

Derek A.
07-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Is the trans acting up or are you just getting a warning message?

Does this shop have regular BMW experience?

When we thought we had a bad trans controller - WE took the intitative to get a used one and try it out on the customers car - it was not the problem. The transmission was slipping internally and causing a problem.

Did you try just tightening up the oil pan bolts? sometimes that will help to stop/slow a leak.

infinity5
07-13-2006, 08:19 PM
lol! thats an awesome quote. that sounds like a PERFECT example of someone ripping off a bmw driver for having a bmw. we must be rich driving 15 year old cars with several hundered thousand miles on them!

1995 525i
07-14-2006, 08:08 AM
lol! thats an awesome quote. that sounds like a PERFECT example of someone ripping off a bmw driver for having a bmw. we must be rich driving 15 year old cars with several hundered thousand miles on them!

My thoughts exactly. Was it the DIM (did it myself) shadowline trim that tipped them off to my enormous weatlh or was it the torn arm rest attached to the driver's seat? Maybe it was the incredibly flashy 15" basketweaves? ;) Who knows.

In the end an oil change and diagnostic test cost me $150.00. I will never,ever,ever,ever go back to that place. Even if it is the last place open for business who services BMWs. Thank god for people like Bret and BillB. If not for this forum and the other enthusiasts who have helped out I would have sold my car long ago.

Thank you to everyone who commented. I have located a used TCm for less than $200. I will buy it as a last resort. As for the leaking, I haven't seen any leakage on the floor of my garage. I do check. That is how I found out I needed a new water pump (well, bill b figured it out).

I will run out to Bill B's house next week and he and I will take a look at it together (thanks again Bill!).

I reset the computer last night and purged the memory. I drove much better this morning. I'm going to get a new battery and change some of the minor stuff (thermostat, O2 senors etc). Hopefully the transmission will survive a while longer.

Thanks again to everyone.

Michael

Rigmaster
07-14-2006, 03:27 PM
My thoughts exactly. Was it the DIM (did it myself) shadowline trim that tipped them off to my enormous weatlh or was it the torn arm rest attached to the driver's seat? Maybe it was the incredibly flashy 15" basketweaves? ;) Who knows.

In the end an oil change and diagnostic test cost me $150.00. I will never,ever,ever,ever go back to that place. Even if it is the last place open for business who services BMWs. Thank god for people like Bret and BillB. If not for this forum and the other enthusiasts who have helped out I would have sold my car long ago.

Thank you to everyone who commented. I have located a used TCm for less than $200. I will buy it as a last resort. As for the leaking, I haven't seen any leakage on the floor of my garage. I do check. That is how I found out I needed a new water pump (well, bill b figured it out).

I will run out to Bill B's house next week and he and I will take a look at it together (thanks again Bill!).

I reset the computer last night and purged the memory. I drove much better this morning. I'm going to get a new battery and change some of the minor stuff (thermostat, O2 senors etc). Hopefully the transmission will survive a while longer.

Thanks again to everyone.

Michael

Michael,

check the number on the TCM before you buy it from someone else- I have a Bosch # 0260002196, pretty sure it's from the '95 525iA that I have.

I have no problem if you want to "try before you buy"....might save you some $$ on unneeded parts.

Bret.

Tiger
07-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Do yourself a favor. Stay away from that guy. Damn thief!

If your fluid level is low, you WILL get a TRANS ERROR.

If you don't want to service your tranny yourself, take it to Jiffy Lube to have them do it. Can't cost you anymore than $150.

Qube
07-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Do yourself a favor. Stay away from that guy. Damn thief!

If your fluid level is low, you WILL get a TRANS ERROR.

If you don't want to service your tranny yourself, take it to Jiffy Lube to have them do it. Can't cost you anymore than $150.

Jiffy Lube? That would be suicide! http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jiffy_lube.htm

Tiger
07-14-2006, 04:34 PM
We'll if they screwed up bad enough, they owe you a new tranny. I mean those fast lube place. Or if you want to pay 3x more at the dealer... and if you take it to tranny shop, they will screw you even more.

zedtech2000
07-14-2006, 04:49 PM
PLEASE HELP ME!!

I believe I might be having a similar problem. Just yesterday I installed a new Light Control Module and replaced the Fuel Filter. When I reconnected the battery and turned the car on, the TRANS PROGRAM message popped up. It is running in limp mode. I have a Bently manual, and I have been searching the forums all day, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I tried restarting the car a few times, but to no avail. I am guessing that it is an electrical problem, as the error pops up right after I start the car, but beyond that I am lost. Right now I am on summer break (and a whole 2 weeks worth at that), and my classes start Tuesday, 180 miles away, so I really need to get this fixed. I will continue to search around and fiddle with it to try to get it fixed, but I would really appreciate some help. Thanks a lot, in advance.

1991 : 525i : 115,000 miles

Tiger
07-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Didn't you read my post? Check fluid level first.

Kalevera
07-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Actually, $350 on the pan gasket and labor is market. I think the book on it is about 3.5 hours worth of work, but I can't remember if that's for the E34 525 or E36 M3.

Everything else is overpriced and the car should visit a different shop. If they don't know what they're doing on the pan gasket, they can cause more of a leak than the car already has.

best, whit

BillionPa
07-14-2006, 10:48 PM
zed, check the battery terminals and voltage, if they are not tight or the voltage is too low you get trans prog errors.

zedtech2000
07-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I did check the transmission fluid, and it seems fine to me (sorry, I should have mentioned that). I did remove and clean the shift selector switch, and at the same time I cleaned the battery terminals (they were really bad). The error did not pop up after that! I really hope that it was one of those two things, and that this is the end of it. I sincerely thank you guys for your help!

SharkmanBMW
07-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I did check the transmission fluid, and it seems fine to me (sorry, I should have mentioned that). I did remove and clean the shift selector switch, and at the same time I cleaned the battery terminals (they were really bad). The error did not pop up after that! I really hope that it was one of those two things, and that this is the end of it. I sincerely thank you guys for your help!

battery, battery, battery.

My batt died while in storage, I charged it, started the car but got the trans prog error right away.... Bought a new battery and everything was fine.

If it wasn't for all the previous posts I had read, I would have freaked because the car was sold and I was waiting for the buyer to come and pick it up!
I almost **** my pants until I remembered!

1995 525i
07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Michael,

check the number on the TCM before you buy it from someone else- I have a Bosch # 0260002196, pretty sure it's from the '95 525iA that I have.

I have no problem if you want to "try before you buy"....might save you some $$ on unneeded parts.

Bret.

Thanks BRet. BillB and I are going to look under the car tomorrow.

Michael

1995 525i
07-18-2006, 08:26 AM
battery, battery, battery.

My batt died while in storage, I charged it, started the car but got the trans prog error right away.... Bought a new battery and everything was fine.

If it wasn't for all the previous posts I had read, I would have freaked because the car was sold and I was waiting for the buyer to come and pick it up!
I almost **** my pants until I remembered!

I almost **** my pants when I got the quote from the shop up the street! I'm going to replace the battery for sure as well as a few other things.