PDA

View Full Version : gearbox strength

cortez
07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
i'm planning on swapping my 3.0 v8 for a 4.0 version. Would my manual gearbox (which is in good shape) be up to the job. I have done engine swaps on other cars before (i used to be a ford man, spit) and usually theres no difference apart from the ratio. The 3.0 is a good engine but i want to start tweaking it now and i'd rather start tweaking a 4.0. Also would the clutch explode or not. thank you

chris_e34
07-13-2006, 01:08 PM
if your moving to a 4.0 you should get a 6 speed.

cortez
07-13-2006, 01:15 PM
was thinking about it but i'm trying to keep costs down at the moment. A 6 would be very nice though.

chris_e34
09-21-2006, 07:47 AM
does anyone have the answer???

bump

genphreak
09-21-2006, 08:03 AM
BMW have a different manufacturing philosophy to most and as a result they seldom do things the same accross models like other manufacturers do. The differences I find never fail to astound. Beware; On the 3.0 the clutch is very different (but I don't know about the gearbox). You will also have differences in the final drive- I expect the diff is smaller and the drive shaft may even be different. If you start modding the 4.0 motor these differences will make themselves known much faster. The whole braking system is different too, as are the shocks, springs and ECU (AFAIK, I don't own a V8 or have ever worked on one). I bet the guys that have will warn you off the idea unless you have a good budget for money, patience and time. Repairs can cost a lot on these cars.

BillionPa
09-21-2006, 11:45 PM
the 4L motor weighs a lot more, so you will need from suspension modifications. the gearbox should be strong enough, you will need a better clutch though, and i dont know how well the motor will fit up.

the brakes should be ok, just get some cryo treated rotors if you dont upgrade the front end brake system.

hopefully the motor you are getting comes with the engine electronics.

generally..... the costs involved in this procedure would be better placed at getting a 540.

angrypancake
09-21-2006, 11:46 PM
wait, does a 540i 6 speed transmission bolt up to a 530i?