PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice Please!

1995 525i
07-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I took my car for service today because I had the trans error message come up yesterday and the car went into limp mode. I took the terminals off the battery and let the system reset itself. Car drove fine after I did that and drove fine on the way into work this morning.

At the shop the guys told me that I needed the following:

Transmission Control module: $1536.00
Oil Pan Gasket: $343.00
Transmission pan gasket: $226
Coolant expansion tank: $236

Total: $2341

Not sure about prices for a control module, but does this all seem a bit high? Can I get a used one? If so, is it hard to install? They said they would install a used one if I wanted to look for one.

They told me my pan gaskets were leaking (although I haven't noticed any leaking) and my coolant tank was leaking (although, again, I haven't noticed any leaking).

Can I keep driving without changing the trans module? Will I damage my car more by doing so?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

Montreal525
07-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Wow, those gaskets must be made out of solid gold..... If these are the prices he quoted you for gaskets, he's nuts, you should run away and go somewhere else.

Have the tranny serviced with new filter and all. You should have a good idea what's up with the pan open. A gasket is around $20 from the dealer. Go thru the checklist of electrical gremlins that can go wrong first and go from there. If your car is fine now, have it serviced then wait and see....

It's tons of fun... If your's goes south, have it rebuilt, don't be a cheap bastard like me. I just had the used tranny I put in 4 months ago to replace the original one rebuilt. It's a gamble when you go used...

Jeff