PDA

View Full Version : OT: Radar Detector Install to Power on

saj3n
07-13-2006, 12:19 AM
So i broke down and picked up the Cobra XRS-9930. very Nice! But I want to wire it to the same connection as the radio... ACC type... Where it will power on when car is started/ignition 1. I had a setup like this in my 89 by connecting to the same ACC connection wire coming from/going to the radio head unit. Is there a better way/suggestion as to wire this?

calmloki
07-13-2006, 12:42 AM
What I did for my V1:
... power I picked up from a fat purple wire coming from the steering column - had to pull the ('Murican) driver's knee bolster and the metal safety shield behind it - detector now comes on and goes off with the key.

Qube
07-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Fat purple eh? Ok I'll have to check it out.

On that note, I had the 9830 with the semi display (same as 9930) but was disappointed with the KA band performance. Also, living in an area where detectors are illegal, it isn't wise for me to use a leaky Cobra detector. I bought a Bel STi instead ;)

http://www.radarbusters.com/products/beltronics/bel_sti_driver.asp

Hallmark
07-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I don't recall which wire is which off the top of my head, but there is a connector in the panel behind the sunroof switch that is rarely plugged to anything and you can pick power that switches on with the key from it.

632 Regal
07-13-2006, 09:52 AM
i concur...
I don't recall which wire is which off the top of my head, but there is a connector in the panel behind the sunroof switch that is rarely plugged to anything and you can pick power that switches on with the key from it.

saj3n
07-13-2006, 10:22 AM

That seems like it would work better for me running the cables that way. Last time I had them running through the center vent down behind the radio.

Now if I can only find a wire diagram for the sunroof area.

saj3n
07-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Fat purple eh? Ok I'll have to check it out.

On that note, I had the 9830 with the semi display (same as 9930) but was disappointed with the KA band performance. Also, living in an area where detectors are illegal, it isn't wise for me to use a leaky Cobra detector. I bought a Bel STi instead ;)

http://www.radarbusters.com/products/beltronics/bel_sti_driver.asp

Anyone happen to have a write up on how to wire to sunroof connections?

calmloki
07-13-2006, 09:32 PM
i concur...

Jeff, don't I recall that you thought you found a switched power wire and then discovered it went dead when you closed the door? I found switched power by the sunroof motor easy on the 533i, not so on the double sunroof touring. After probing around and getting the part of the sunroof to open accidentally I gave it up and went where all was obvious. I'm a big chicken about the thought of having that sunroof partially open and uncloseable here in the northwet.
Tom

calmloki
07-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Oh yeah - the thread from back when...
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18060&highlight=calmloki

gmannino
07-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Just grab your accessory wires at the ignition harness or behind the radio. Run the wires to the drivers kickpanel, up the a-pillar, and across the headliner to the radar detector, or wherever you plan on mounting it. Its a easy process.

saj3n
07-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Oh yeah - the thread from back when...
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18060&highlight=calmloki

Thanks! VERY helpful! Can't wait to get started installing this one!

saj3n
07-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Just grab your accessory wires at the ignition harness or behind the radio. Run the wires to the drivers kickpanel, up the a-pillar, and across the headliner to the radar detector, or wherever you plan on mounting it. Its a easy process.

Radar detector finally came today! Going to work with the wiring first thing tomorrow morning, since the car is getting a few things replaced at VAC. Gotta check out this cigarette lighter adapter to see what fuse it's using and if I can piggyback off of the adapter, and salvage it. Just incase I decide to switch back later.