PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Choice for E34

saj3n
07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm planning a 14 hour (one way) trip to Alabama come the 3rd week in August (a month from this weekend), and I believe that a Navigation system would come in quite handy on this trip. I'm curious to find out which navigation system/setup is most preferred for our cars. My thoughts have ranged from an external bluetooth gps receiver to an in-dash navigation system...

Any guidance?

Qube
07-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Garmin StreetPilot c330. I used it to get from Toronto, Canada to Chicago, IL.

Espen
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Im using a PDA ( Dell Axim x50v) with a bluethoot GPS reciever (Holux 236) And TomTom Navigator software... No problems at all.

saj3n
07-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Im using a PDA ( Dell Axim x50v) with a bluethoot GPS reciever (Holux 236) And TomTom Navigator software... No problems at all.

I've been thinking about a setup similar to this, using either my Treo 650, HP iPaq, or laptop with built in bluetooth. My main question regarding this setup is how well the bluetooth receivers sync and work with the navigation software/PDA's

gmannino
07-11-2006, 05:37 PM
pioneer and sony just released portable nav units, alpine too.

Espen
07-11-2006, 05:50 PM
I've been thinking about a setup similar to this, using either my Treo 650, HP iPaq, or laptop with built in bluetooth. My main question regarding this setup is how well the bluetooth receivers sync and work with the navigation software/PDA's

its seamless. I use a bluetooth handsfree for my phone. there is no delay whatsoever, bluetooth is pretty quick. for gps there really isnt much data to be transfered.

saj3n
07-11-2006, 06:04 PM
its seamless. I use a bluetooth handsfree for my phone. there is no delay whatsoever, bluetooth is pretty quick. for gps there really isnt much data to be transfered.

I like this option alot! :-D And the Hulox receiver, quick to acquire satellites and locate positioning? They aren't at all bad in price.

M.Wenzel
07-11-2006, 07:14 PM
best thing i've ever seen is JonK's in dash set up. i know its a little too much too late but just my thoughts.

ThoreauHD
07-11-2006, 07:17 PM
An in dash or side mounted dash setup would be great. JonK's is cool, but he's ripped out a few things that I probably want to keep in my car. I'll also be looking for a good system pretty soon. If any of you do bite the bullet, would you mind posting your experiences and possibly pictures? It's a big investment and I'd like to do it right the first time.

saj3n
07-11-2006, 07:38 PM
best thing i've ever seen is JonK's in dash set up. i know its a little too much too late but just my thoughts.

I very much enjoy Jon's setup. Actually talked with him a bit about it, considered hooking a similar system up for myself as well. But with 1 month to go, and $$$ to be saved for the expensive gas prices, I'm going to have to but that dream on hold.

saj3n
07-11-2006, 07:41 PM
An in dash or side mounted dash setup would be great. JonK's is cool, but he's ripped out a few things that I probably want to keep in my car. I'll also be looking for a good system pretty soon. If any of you do bite the bullet, would you mind posting your experiences and possibly pictures? It's a big investment and I'd like to do it right the first time.

Yes, an indash one would be great! The problem I've run into is sacrificing audio quality/features when moving to an indash unit. Right now, running this pioneer deck, the audio features are AMAZING! But even the Pioneer In Dash Navigations, dont have the same features to allow for quality, clear, non distored sound. If I can find a system which provides superb sound quality, along with precise navigation, without breaking the $2000 barrier, would be perfect!

BillionPa
07-11-2006, 11:51 PM
woman + map

saj3n
07-12-2006, 12:05 AM
woman + map

LOL! I had that, until today... She decided to stay home, her familiy is coming to visit her, the same time i'll be driving to visit mine.

Espen
07-12-2006, 02:10 AM
I like this option alot! :-D And the Hulox receiver, quick to acquire satellites and locate positioning? They aren't at all bad in price.

the holux 236 uses the tristar chipset, wich means that it finds satelite signal according to fastest available techonlogy pr today. after a tunnel it only takes 2-3 seconds before it got signals again.

ThoreauHD
07-12-2006, 05:30 AM
"If I can find a system which provides superb sound quality, along with precise navigation, without breaking the $2000 barrier, would be perfect!"

Ditto. So I'm in wait and see mode. Maybe alpine will come through with something that fits the bill in the future.

saj3n
07-13-2006, 04:40 PM

I picked up this setup. Well, the Holux 236 with Microsoft Streets & Trips. Waiting for it to arrive. Not too bad of a price for the GPS unit, $84 - shipped.

Streets & Trips seems GREAT! Can't wait to test with the GPS. Not only does it let you calculate the time you'll get there by your driving style (speed) on the seperate types of streets/highways. Also estimates gas costs and when you will need to stop to refill based on average MPG and average $ per gallon. Spent an hour or so messin' around with this program.

gmannino
07-13-2006, 07:26 PM
I can do this unit from Valor Multimedia for just under $1700.
http://www.valordvd.com/product/productinformation.asp?productid=NVG-720WT

saj3n
07-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I can do this unit from Valor Multimedia for just under $1700.
http://www.valordvd.com/product/productinformation.asp?productid=NVG-720WT

Hmm.. I've never heard of them.

SchnellE34
07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I picked up this setup. Well, the Holux 236 with Microsoft Streets & Trips. Waiting for it to arrive. Not too bad of a price for the GPS unit, $84 - shipped.

Streets & Trips seems GREAT! Can't wait to test with the GPS. Not only does it let you calculate the time you'll get there by your driving style (speed) on the seperate types of streets/highways. Also estimates gas costs and when you will need to stop to refill based on average MPG and average $ per gallon. Spent an hour or so messin' around with this program.

Streets and Trips is friggin great. I have been using it for years. The new 2006 version has voice guidance. So it tells you to turn in so many yards and such. The navigation pane is cool too. In case you get lost, you can automatically recalculate your route from exactly where you are to your destination point. I thought that feature was a big improvement over 2005. Before I had to click on the map to find an address then enter it to recalulate.

Right now I'm lookin for a car AC adapter for my Insprion. Looking upwards of $60. I'm also thinking of the best place to set the laptop in the car, in situations with no passenger. Right now I'm planning on a drawer that pulls out of the glove box. I have the flash light charger-to-cigarette lighter power adapter so I could hide all the cabling in the glove box. Still testing weight and stability issues though. I'll let you know when I come up with something. I just like a big screen, not something small like on a palm pilot.

saj3n
07-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I have the flash light charger-to-cigarette lighter power adapter so I could hide all the cabling in the glove box.

Where did you find that adapter? I would love to have one of those as well! I looked online a bit and found laptop stands for the car on ebay, pretty cheap, but I believe you must permantely attact to the base of the passenger's seat.

It's not a bad idea, if it could be installed for temporary usage. I think I may just have to have my laptop sit in the passenger's seat for now. I have a few laptops which i've considered using, I too must have a bigger screen than the PDA; for this trip at least. I have a lighter Thinkpad X25, probably about 4 lbs, 12" screen. Or I might use my HP DV1340US, 15" wide screen, about 5.5-6lbs. So do let me know how that sliding laptop stand idea turns out.

saj3n
07-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Oh,

Power inverter.... I'll have to take a picture of this, but right behind your left calf muscle when sitting in the rear seat behind the drivers seat in my car there is a oval shaped plastic patch in the carpet there. I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of its purpose?

An Idea I had for power, attatching a power inverter which connects directly to battery terminals opposed to cigarette lighter, and then retrofitting the outlets & switch inplace of that plastic panel.

SchnellE34
07-16-2006, 09:11 PM
got mine here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Aux-Auxiliary-Power-Adapter-E36-E34-E30-E32-E28-E23_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33712QQihZ009QQitem Z190008157466QQrdZ1)

edit: if you shave with an electric razor in your e34, you should be shot...

saj3n
07-16-2006, 09:12 PM
got mine here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Aux-Auxiliary-Power-Adapter-E36-E34-E30-E32-E28-E23_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33712QQihZ009QQitem Z190008157466QQrdZ1)

Perfect! Thanks.

Qube
07-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Holy cow! I checked today and Best Buy was selling the Street Pilot c330 I use for about $400 USD! Go check it out!