PDA

View Full Version : Factory Stereo Anti-Theft System

SnakeyesTx
07-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm planning on changing the headunit, but keeping it stored for originality and if I ever want to put it back. It has a red light that says "theft" or something to that effect that blinks when the car is off. My question is does this stereo require a code number to type in when you remove it, reinstall it, or even change batteries since the constant 12V gets disconnected, or will I be able to put it back in if I ever wanted to without worrying about it?

slightly off topic addendum : I noticed two very small brass alan head screws behind two tiny covers on both sides of the face. Is that all that's holding that in the dash, or am I in for a removal nightmare?

DallasBill
07-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Once the power is disconnected andf then reconnected, the radio unit display will say 'code.' You then need to enter the numeric code that came on a wallet-sized card, with the car, to enable it again. Or, you need to call BMW and prove you own the car.

saj3n
07-11-2006, 04:06 PM
slightly off topic addendum : I noticed two very small brass alan head screws behind two tiny covers on both sides of the face. Is that all that's holding that in the dash, or am I in for a removal nightmare?

Yes, those are the screws which hold it in the dash. I remember taking mine out about a year ago, was pretty frustrating as the darn thing didn't want to budge, but after enough tugging, it came out. :-P

The write-up below was helpful to me

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Upgrade/Stereo_radio.htm