PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl treatment

Airborne001
07-11-2006, 05:20 AM
OK, I know this is a loaded question, but whet is the best stuff to use to maintain the dash and vinyl in my car? I never bothered to pay attention to the new stuff coming out when I had my POS hyundai. Also what is the favored leather care? (I am using Mcguire's right now)

Espen
07-11-2006, 06:25 AM
For the vinyl i am using ArmorAll Vinyl wipes :)

It looks as new, and the shine lasts quite long in fact..

Ross
07-11-2006, 08:52 AM
My preferrence for the vinyl is nothing but soap and water. All of the treatments remind me of how crappy used car dealers slather shiny stuff all over a filthy car rather than actually wash it.
I highly recommend a German made conditioner for the leather called Effax Lederbalsam. For cleaning try Lexol's cleaner. Look for them at a tack shop as they're intended for saddles etc. Massage in the Effax with your fingers then give it a day to absorb, wipe with a towel and it's beautiful and soft.
Some people have found Armol-All etc. to be harmful over time to vinyl.

Russell
07-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Aerospace 303 is excellent. Very low gloss (best for dash) with strong UV protection. Get it online or at boat and outdoor store. i have also seen it at auto uphostery shops.

Mendozart
07-11-2006, 10:01 AM
I use Vinylex on the vinyl. It is made by Lexol. Good stuff.

califblue
07-11-2006, 10:56 AM
you can't go wrong with any of the new Mcguire products...Barry knows his stuff

Qsilver7
07-11-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't use anything but a damp chamois on the dash...a shiny dash is counterproductive because it creates glare on the windshield (not good) plus if the product contains certain chemicals...they give off bad magumbo (through reaction of bio-chemical breakdown) that eventually winds up as haze on the inside of the windshield.

If I do need to use a cleaning product...I use Leatherique"s Pristene Clean...and for the leather...Leatherique's Rejuvenator Oil.

www.leatherique.com

Alexlind123
07-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I use a bit of diluted simple green sprayed on a damp cloth.

Russell
07-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Pristine clean is really nice stuff. I do like it on plastics anywhere on the interior. Even so, Aerospace 303 works well on the dash as it has almost no shine with excellent UV protection.

Airborne001
07-12-2006, 04:46 AM
Thanks guys, I'll get the interior done then start bugging you about what I need to re-black the a-pillars and door handles.

Russell
07-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Mothers makes a product that wworks fairly well. I think it it called "back to black" or similar.

jnmip
07-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Thanks guys, I'll get the interior done then start bugging you about what I need to re-black the a-pillars and door handles.

I heard good things about Forever Black.

http://www.properautocare.com/foreverblack.html

I ordered some and will give it a try

Russell
07-12-2006, 07:54 AM
That is a dye/paint. This may be unnecessary if all you need is the surface cleaned or oxidation removed. There used to be a product called "Black Again" that was great, especially on the plastics BMW used on the e28 bumper extensions. Not sure if still available.

Alexlind123
07-12-2006, 12:15 PM

I used Black Again.http://www.autogeek.net/blackagain1.html

wingman
07-13-2006, 05:31 AM
I use BMW plastic care emulsion on the dash which is great and doesn't shine up like armoural. i'm using BMW leathercare on the seats which I'm also very happy with.