PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a '95 525iT

KühlWasserStand
07-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi There,
I just bought a 1995 525i Touring to be used as the main family car (we just had twins!). It's a vast improvement on the 2000 Renault Clio we had before, maybe a little scary at the petrol pumps.

http://homepage.mac.com/petebouch/.Pictures/Night800.jpg
Sorry about the night time pic, as I said I just bought it!

The car is an automatic with the dual sunroof and most of the options installed. The only things that need attention are a missing seat-belt buckle in the back, missing parcel shelf, some stone chips in the paint, a worn steering wheel, oh and an original 90s era BMW-GSM carphone that I'm not sure weather to buy a SIM card for and use, or take out. Any suggestions?

My new Beemers first words to me on the dash were: 'KühlWasserStand', hence the nick. I don't speak German but I've got a hunch she wants me to check her coolant level ;)

Nice forum you have here, I'm sure I'll be back with more pictures soon.

Pete.

e39dream
07-09-2006, 07:40 PM
nice touring!

Bruce Kennett
07-09-2006, 08:13 PM
the touring is a fabulous design, at least in the e34 vintage.

once you come up for air, fill in your profile so we know where you live, etc. (UK?)

bruce

Yiorgos
07-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Nice one, welcome to the board, from one newcomer to another.

I didn't know Tourings came with parcel shelfs, then again I've never seen one in the flesh in Australia.

In my quick-to-access German->English translator, Kühlwasserstand means "Cooling water level", the tank on the side of the radiator would be dry for some reason.

Nice forum username by the way, once again welcome aboard.

Jr ///M5
07-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Congratulations on the twins...anybody can buy a car ;) It just so happens you have probably picked one of the best year/model for your circumstance.

Enjoy your family, twins are a blessing indeed. Your touring will keep them safe while on the road, the rest is up to you.

Boy/Girl?
Boy/Boy?
Girl/Girl?

Hope they're healthly and momma's fine!

Enjoy!
Jr

Qsilver7
07-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Comment #1: The only things that need attention are a missing seat-belt buckle in the back
Comment #2: I don't speak German but I've got a hunch she wants me to check her coolant level ;)

Pete.
Congrats on the twins and the Touring.

You don't say which seatbelt buckle is missing ...but if it's the one in the middle...its probably fallen underneath the seat or inadvertantly got stuck below it when the bottom section was removed to possibly replace the battery. There's a little tray under the rear ctr armrest where it should be (usually folded and slightly tucked).

(the rear seat ctr seat belt and buckle)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_376.jpg

There are 6 languages you can choose from...you can change the OBC & Check Control language by using the odometer reset button and CCD (check control display) button on the instrument cluster:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_135_full.jpg

Trancide
07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Thats a sweet looking wagon you have there, good luck with it!

Elekta
07-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Well done! The 95 would be the only 525 of anything I would buy. When you chip it with the EAT chip, it will come alive.

Best kid carrier on the planet in my opinion.

welcome.

geoff

KühlWasserStand
07-11-2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks Q,
That's great news! :) I'll try to change the language today, I thought I was going to have to get a new ROM chip some where.

The buckle thats missing is the left hand (drivers side) rear seat buckle that lies flush with the seat. I have the metal clip and a hole in the upholstry, but the plastic trim and release mechanism are missing. I can engage the seatbelt but it pops out if pressed slightly towards the passenger side. My father in law, who found the car and helped us buy it :D is going to take me to his favourate scrap yard sometime this week to find a replacement.

Congrats on the twins and the Touring.

You don't say which seatbelt buckle is missing ...but if it's the one in the middle...its probably fallen underneath the seat or inadvertantly got stuck below it when the bottom section was removed to possibly replace the battery. There's a little tray under the rear ctr armrest where it should be (usually folded and slightly tucked).

(the rear seat ctr seat belt and buckle)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_376.jpg

There are 6 languages you can choose from...you can change the OBC & Check Control language by using the odometer reset button and CCD (check control display) button on the instrument cluster:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_135_full.jpg

KühlWasserStand
07-11-2006, 05:17 AM
When you chip it with the EAT chip, it will come alive.

Hi 530iT,

Tell me more; what's involved in the chipping? Do I need to fit a performance exhaust/air filter? Will it have a huge impact on fuel consumption? And does it cost a bomb?

KühlWasserStand
07-11-2006, 05:21 AM
No we live in the south of Spain but I'm British, my wife is second gen. British expatriate born in Ibiza. I was actually born in Iceland, but that story is too long for the quick reply box ;)

KühlWasserStand
07-11-2006, 05:40 AM
Two girls, Maya and Lucia. They were born 7 weeks premature so they had to stay at the hospital for their first month to put on weight. They are both fine now and even giving us about 3 hours of sleep between feeds! Mummy is fine too and we've even been out in the new pram for a walk along the sea-front :)
http://homepage.mac.com/petebouch/.pictures/maya-and-lucia.jpg

Congratulations on the twins...anybody can buy a car ;) It just so happens you have probably picked one of the best year/model for your circumstance.

Enjoy your family, twins are a blessing indeed. Your touring will keep them safe while on the road, the rest is up to you.

Boy/Girl?
Boy/Boy?
Girl/Girl?

Hope they're healthly and momma's fine!

Enjoy!
Jr

Espen
07-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi 530iT,

Tell me more; what's involved in the chipping? Do I need to fit a performance exhaust/air filter? Will it have a huge impact on fuel consumption? And does it cost a bomb?
For chipping you just replace a small computer chip. Its an easyjob. I did this with my 525 2-3 weeks ago, and im using less fuel now than before.. And the engine now seems alot quicker. No need to fit performance exhaust or fiter, but it wouldt harm doing it ;)

Qsilver7
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Just an FYI (for your info)...the Tourings rear seatbelt plastic surround is different than the sedans...so don't waste time removing one from the rear seat of a sedan in a scrap yard...only to be dissappointed when get back home.

The Touring's rear seatbelt surround has a small pin that holds it in place...here's a link to the parts diagram for it so that you can see how it goes together (sounds like you're gonna need #4, #10 & #11...and #4 has a recepticle at both ends...one for the out board passenger and one for the inboard passenger..yes they share the same securing bolt): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ63&mospid=47414&btnr=72_0199&hg=72&fg=05

To remove the rear seat in the Tourings...those rear seatbelt plastic surrounds must be removed first (lift pin #11 then just lift the plastic surround outwardand off)...then just pull up on the front of the rear seats to release them from its clips...you can see the seatbelt plastic surrounds on the floor mat in the pic below with the bottom rear seat cushioned removed. This will give you all the access you need to replace the broken seat belt recepticle:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_33_full.jpg

KühlWasserStand
07-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Just an FYI (for your info)...the Tourings rear seatbelt plastic surround is different than the sedans...

...here's a link to the parts diagram for it so that you can see how it goes together (sounds like you're gonna need #4, #10 & #11...and #4 has a recepticle at both ends...one for the out board passenger and one for the inboard passenger..yes they share the same securing bolt): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ63&mospid=47414&btnr=72_0199&hg=72&fg=05

Wow! Thanks for the info and link Q,
Luckily I found the missing surround in the drivers-side boot compartment (where the guts of the car-phone is mounted) and it looks undamaged, so I may only need a #4. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Don McAdams
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Congrats on the twin girls. They are beautiful. The '95 will be a great car for you & safe indeed. I have almost 200K on my '95 525iT (and knock on wood) it has been flawless & still gets 27mpg highway! I plan on hanging onto it for a longtime...

And if you were wondering even 3 car seats fit in the back. We just had our 3rd son 5 weeks ago, so we now have 3 car seats in the backseat :D Gotta love it :)

Congrats & Welcome!