PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need help picking a lock!

HDhandyman
07-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I apologize in advance for the quality-etc. I am not on my mac and am without my camera.

My grandmother has a vestibule lock that needs picking as she has lost the key. It's an old fashioned Skeleton Key type. We have several keys, but none are large enough. There are four screws on the front of the assembly. I'm curious if I'll be able un-do the bolt if I take it apart? Any takers?

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7189/jbvisithome9oo.jpg

thanks

632 Regal
07-09-2006, 12:01 PM
take it apart, my aunt used to lock me in a closet when I was little and I escaped...she was pissed!

TheEndIsNear
07-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Hey, so did mine... LOL

joshua43214
07-09-2006, 01:22 PM
bend a coat hanger to 90 degrees, and feed it into the lock hole and hope the lock is old enough that that is all that is needed. none of those old locks where very complex, but some did require a key that was near right. If worse comes to worse, knock te hings pins out and remove the entire door, then you can slide the lock out of the door. take it to an old time lock smith and find a key that fits. sometimes antiques stores will have them too.

calmloki
07-09-2006, 01:40 PM
bend a coat hanger to 90 degrees, and feed it into the lock hole and hope the lock is old enough that that is all that is needed. none of those old locks where very complex, but some did require a key that was near right. If worse comes to worse, knock te hings pins out and remove the entire door, then you can slide the lock out of the door. take it to an old time lock smith and find a key that fits. sometimes antiques stores will have them too.

Quite right - that lock/latch assembly will slide out the edge of the door only after the door is open. Removing the knob faceplate won't gain you anything. Most of those old latch assemblies have a cover plate that comes off with one screw - you could disable/remove the lock easily if you can't find a replacement key.

HDhandyman
07-09-2006, 03:13 PM
thanks gang, I'll try the coat hanger and remove the door if I have to.