PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank half full? But I just filled it...

uflnuceng
07-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Well... I have a 90 535i 5-speed... do the fuel level senders go nutty on these things? It was fine when I parked it about a month ago, but now it only shows the gas being half full and I just filled it, and empty when it still had about half a tank. Is this the fuel lvl sending unit or is there a fuse or relay I should also look at?

Thanks

Qube
07-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Well... I have a 90 535i 5-speed... do the fuel level senders go nutty on these things? It was fine when I parked it about a month ago, but now it only shows the gas being half full and I just filled it, and empty when it still had about half a tank. Is this the fuel lvl sending unit or is there a fuse or relay I should also look at?

Thanks

Mine is half full for a little while, then it realizes it's full :) At half full, the OBC also agrees it's half full (Test 07).

Oh wait... yours is a different story. What's the OBC telling you the 'actual' volume is?

BillionPa
07-08-2006, 05:32 PM
its probably the level sender, they look like ass after 15 years...

mikell
07-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Agree - it's the sender. Replaced mine last week. Pretty easy job if the tank is near empty. Be sure to get a new gasket and some small hose clamps.

uflnuceng
07-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Agree - it's the sender. Replaced mine last week. Pretty easy job if the tank is near empty. Be sure to get a new gasket and some small hose clamps.

Didn't check the OBC to see what it calculates for fuel level. I've done this sorta before on an e24 M6... thanks for the help guys.

uflnuceng
07-11-2006, 08:29 PM

What's the fuel level sending unit? Is it item 1?

Real OEM page (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=16_0190&hg=16&fg=05)

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-11-2006, 08:31 PM
may just need to be cleaned