PDA

View Full Version : Check out this MIT guys' "copped out" E34 project !! :-D

CharlesAFerg
07-08-2006, 02:00 AM
http://web.mit.edu/zacka/www/car.html

Does anybody else have details from a project like this one? I'm looking into putting a CB, PA, siren, strobes and sound system (While I'm at it) in my own 89/1 525i...

wingman
07-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Yeah I'm going to do the same thing in my car. PLUS I'm installing lambo doors AND Louis Vuitton door inserts AND an F1 adjustable rear spoiler. I love your sense of humour dude.

Alexlind123
07-08-2006, 02:07 AM
Wow! thats a really cool link.

Alexlind123
07-08-2006, 02:08 AM
Yeah I'm going to do the same thing in my car. PLUS I'm installing lambo doors AND Louis Vuitton door inserts AND an F1 adjustable rear spoiler. I love your sense of humour dude.

BTW, i wasnt talking about the imitation cop car thing. Thats kinda lame. I thought the computer and hard drive and gps and touchscreen were cool

Qube
07-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Everything was cool until I saw the switches :\ ugh.

HDhandyman
07-08-2006, 10:13 AM
What, no War Driving Device?

Jon K
07-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Thats a really shitty carpc install if i must say so

Alexlind123
07-08-2006, 12:06 PM

The screen looked fine to me.

Jon K
07-08-2006, 12:08 PM
its like, bolted to the center console... ehh nah.

e39dream
07-08-2006, 01:50 PM
yeah- check out mp3car.com's show off threads- dude could have made it way better. I had a car pc in the e39- but then you realize-hey- I never use this ****ing thing, and instead of having instant music liek a ipod or cd you have to boot windows xp- I could be halfway to town with no tunes...

CharlesAFerg
07-08-2006, 07:37 PM
yeah- check out mp3car.com's show off threads- dude could have made it way better. I had a car pc in the e39- but then you realize-hey- I never use this ****ing thing, and instead of having instant music liek a ipod or cd you have to boot windows xp- I could be halfway to town with no tunes...

Yeah, serious.

angrypancake
07-08-2006, 08:04 PM
but he didnt even lower the car! :p

genphreak
07-08-2006, 08:35 PM
http://web.mit.edu/zacka/www/car.html

Does anybody else have details from a project like this one? I'm looking into putting a CB, PA, siren, strobes and sound system (While I'm at it) in my own 89/1 525i...

I was checking this site out 2 months ago, this is an additional page to the MIDAS (http://web.mit.edu/zacka/www/midas.html) project, which is quite good. Both are relatively QnD (quick and dirty), but they work and are quite innovative as far as most Windows-based hacks go. I really like the way the electronics is integrated in these projects, though much of it in the bimmer is like 'what's the point of that' and the swtch panel is butt ugly. Cop Sirens are simply nutza. These guys are on very low budgets and whilst I wince at the installation in the bimmer I like some of the ideas such as a big screen that can be angled and the wireless Internet antenna would make full Wi-Fi access really workable.

I can find a million uses for a car PC: Address book lookups, Diary, music and movie collection sync, VoIP and 'Net access, GPS, ECU diagnostics & data logging, alarm triggering notifications via Wi-Fi/Wi-Max/GPRS.... (now one can simply route the data using a 12V router (http://www.land-cellular.com/) that automagically connects to whichever one of these is available)... if only I could find the time!

:) Nick

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-08-2006, 09:37 PM
dispenser.

misfortune
07-08-2006, 10:39 PM
JONK IS NOT IMPRESSED WHAT A SUPRISE

Jon K
07-08-2006, 11:22 PM

I use mine all the time - it goes into hibernate, makes start up much faster and the front ends now use "gestures". I simply drag down on the touch screen to play/pause, right to go forward, left backward, diag lower left to upper right for +5 volume, etc. Once you have it setup you use it all the time.

Jon K
07-08-2006, 11:23 PM
JONK IS NOT IMPRESSED WHAT A SUPRISE

Looks like a german cop car - why should i be impressed NOTHING on it is mounted flush - it's all freak screwed to the interior - CLASSY!

misfortune
07-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Looks like a german cop car - why should i be impressed NOTHING on it is mounted flush - it's all freak screwed to the interior - CLASSY!
I know man i wonder if he is able to sleep at night after doing such a shitty carputer install, if only he were as clever as you.

Jon K
07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Or maybe if he just took his time and didn't use wood screws....

rob101
07-08-2006, 11:56 PM
rear firing horns me likes, however i was thinking more along the lines of HID lights in the rear fog lights
should discourage city drivers from tailgating on the freeway.
what is the HAL 9000-esque red thing behind the switches

CharlesAFerg
07-09-2006, 12:22 AM
rear firing horns me likes, however i was thinking more along the lines of HID lights in the rear fog lights
should discourage city drivers from tailgating on the freeway.
what is the HAL 9000-esque red thing behind the switches

Good idea :p

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-09-2006, 03:22 AM
I can't open the pod door.

But I have a new pocket protecter and calculator holtser for you.

casurfer911
07-09-2006, 03:30 AM
jon k, are you using road runner? I like road runner, but the gestures are so annoying when im trying to use gps, so i went back to mediaengine. I use a griffin powermate for volume and changing songs, it works really well. Ill have to post some pics of my setup tommorow when its light out again

rob101
07-09-2006, 03:37 AM
I can't open the pod door.

But I have a new pocket protecter and calculator holtser for you.
I am sorry dave, I can't do that
coolant error dave.

The Bigfella
07-09-2006, 04:44 AM
It took me 2 nanoseconds to decide to rip the DVD out of my M5 when I bought it. What a cockup that was.

http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=6642007&S=ISS

I own 5 GPS for boats - but can't be bothered with car stuff. I either know where I'm going or at worst spend 20 seconds at a set of lights figuring it out. If it was voice activated, maybe.

Ian

SchnellE34
07-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I never use this ****ing thing, and instead of having instant music liek a ipod or cd you have to boot windows xp- I could be halfway to town with no tunes...

Try letting your car warm up for a minute before putting it into drive.