PDA

View Full Version : Fellow E34 Driver

GoldenEagleFan
07-08-2006, 01:14 AM
I was driving my son up north to spend the weekend camping with my sister and brother-in-law when I notice a red E34 coming up behind me on the freeway. What a great looking car and I probably spent more time watching my rear view mirror than looking forward. Anyway, he slows down as he drives by and has the same **** ass grin I know I have and friendly waves and thumbs ups are shared.

So if anyone here was driving a red E34 up HWY 41 out of Milwaukee....Nice car and wanted you to know my son's reaction...."You guys are wierd"

wingman
07-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Anyway, he slows down as he drives by and has the same **** ass grin I know I have

I'm hearing you brother. I can't get the grin off my face when I'm driving my car. At the OZ Terrigal meet recently I was in a line of E34s and it was sweet.

Yiorgos
07-08-2006, 02:13 AM
I have experienced somewhat similar moments like these -- one time an M5 had pulled up next to me at a set of lights, and since the windows were down due to the heat of the Aussie summer, I just said "Nice car mate" which was replied with "Cheers" and a big smile.

I've also had an E34 on opposing traffic beep at me -- unfortunately I'm usually not quick enough to beep back.

Nick.Hay
07-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Its great when stuff like that happens... I had a guy in a current shape 735iL give me an appreciative nod last week at the traffic lights!!

Its great to see BMW appreciation is still alive and well ;)

angrypancake
07-08-2006, 07:29 PM
i just found a calypsorot 535 in my town, i saw him on the way home from work one day and we had some fun going over a mountain and through the twisties. now i see him a couple times a week. gotta tell him about here.

CharlesAFerg
07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
i just found a calypsorot 535 in my town, i saw him on the way home from work one day and we had some fun going over a mountain and through the twisties. now i see him a couple times a week. gotta tell him about here.

rofl, nice
The only other drivers (besides a few who are mostly on here) are old women who have no idea what they have and drive like ...yeah. you get the idea.
Portlanders will understand.

angrypancake
07-08-2006, 07:45 PM
come to think of it theres an old lady with a green '93 525 down the street, she won't even look at me. there's a beat black 525 with horrible curbed and cracked style 5's, and then ohhhh there's a black/black m5, i can never catch the guy driving cause he always has it at WOT. he's a cop and drives like a madman. its so pretty though, he gets it detailed at least once a month.

Qube
07-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Saw a beautiful black M5 the other day. Absolutely pristine. I spent a little bit chasing her down the freeway :)

The fellow that lives across my parents home has a blue 535. I've been pestering him to sell it to me for the longest time. Two people... three cars. The others are a Benz of some sort and a Mazda6 wagon... so sell me that oldie e34!

KenB
07-08-2006, 11:26 PM
When I first started driving a BMW over 20 years ago there were so few on the roads around here that any time another one went by there would usually be an exchange of a quick flip of the high beams or a wave.

Now they are such a common "fashion accessory" driven by designer label whores, who cares to acknowledge them?

GoldenEagleFan
07-08-2006, 11:35 PM
New 5 and 7 series drivers could care less...
What's up with that. I think it is the "wierd" rear end thay drive around in.
Older 3,5,7 series are very friendly...

Conclusion,

Wierd protrusion from your rear and you are stuck up????

E34 530
07-08-2006, 11:42 PM
When I first started driving a BMW over 20 years ago there were so few on the roads around here that any time another one went by there would usually be an exchange of a quick flip of the high beams or a wave.

Now they are such a common "fashion accessory" driven by designer label whores, who cares to acknowledge them?

Exactly, especially where I live. There's literally 4 e46's on my block lol. Having a new BMW doesn't mean anything anymore. Like you said, it'sd just a status symbol now-a-days.

Barneyboy
07-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi Guys ,
Know what you mean, I have just purchased a 535is with less than 30,000 k's on it , manual , full leather and Remus exhaust, Other drivers must wonder why I am grinning . To own is to know .
Regards, B/B

Jay 535i
07-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I often flash my lights or give a thumbs up when encountering another E34, but rarely get anything back. I think most people are too clueless to even realize that I'm flashing because we're driving the same car.

There are a LOT of E34s out there, and most aren't owned by people like us. But you know an enthusiast owner when you see one. :)

VentoGT
07-10-2006, 02:12 PM
New 5 and 7 series drivers could care less...
What's up with that. I think it is the "wierd" rear end thay drive around in.
Older 3,5,7 series are very friendly...

Conclusion,

Wierd protrusion from your rear and you are stuck up????

Similar thing happened with the Porsche community as well [911s in particular]. The newer [996 and newer] 911 drivers don't seem to want to have anything to do with you, but if you pass an older 911 driver in a 911 you will get the wave/flash headlights/acknowledgement.

I have tried to get some people's attention and wave in their e34s, but as stated before, most people don't even know what they're driving I think...

trumpetr
07-10-2006, 05:32 PM
rofl, nice
The only other drivers (besides a few who are mostly on here) are old women who have no idea what they have and drive like ...yeah. you get the idea.

LMAO-- Man, you have that right about Portland! The land of the slooooww little old ladies who sit shorter in the seat than the steering wheel, driving clapped out e34's. I grew up in portland, and now live in a fairly rural part of Western Washington, so, I dont see other E34's very often. The other day, while heading to work, down the South Skagit Highway, a winding 2 lane road next to a river, I came up behind a car, and recognized it as a very nice looking metallic red e34 540. We buzzed the road, down to the main highway, and when we pulled up to a stoplight next to eachother, I loooked over and he had the same $hit eating grin as I had.
His car looked bone stock (original yellow corners, bbs basketweaves, not dropped), but was immaculate. Obviously he takes care of his car.
Hoping to see the car again, and find a place to pull over and look over eachothers cars.

Robin-535im
07-10-2006, 06:57 PM
rofl, nice
Yeah - I have to look twice before giving the thumbs up b/c more often than not its a grandma / librarian type in the E34... who has no earthly idea why I'm making eye contact, much less giving her the thumbs up!