PDA

View Full Version : Ever on the brink of getting rid of your E34?

SC David
07-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I just came VERY close. This past month the car has been leaking coolant slowly, and when I took it in for an inspection, I was told the water pump would be giving out soon, as I suspected. So, I decide to ditch the plan for suspension and wheels and save my pennies to get the water pump, thermostat, and bulging hoses replaced.

One week later, I'm pulling into a parallel parking spot by my house, and as I'm curbing the wheels my power steering starts to get a little shaky. I didn't think anything of it, but then when I turned the car off the dash displays the "coolant level" message. Hmm, that's odd, I just topped off the coolant two days ago...look under the car...no bad leaks. The following morning I'm in a hurry and forget to put more coolant in, but the message doesn't come up and I'm only traveling a few miles to a neighborhood where I can catch the train into downtown. Once parked again, I get the coolant message, but don't have time to check out the car.

After work, I get back to the E34 to find a huuuge puddle of coolant, among other fluids. It was dark and I didn't have a flashlight, and I was tired from work so I called the girlfriend and had her pick me up and would get the car towed in the morning.

So, it gets towed to my mechanic downtown who tells me that the water pump, of course, went out and it needed all the parts expected. But as the day went on, he kept giving me a list of other hoses that need to be replaced or should be replaced to prevent further problems. Up went the price, and up went my anxiety and I began to rethink whether it is really worth all these parts to keep this car alive. I definitely trust this mechanic, as he's an honest guy and gave me the details of the procedures, albeit over the phone while I was at work and only half able to listen.

The final price came to about 1/3 of my car's estimated worth. I just got the car back a few minutes ago, and was not able to pick it up in person since the shop was closing at 5:00, and I was getting off of work at 5:30 so I paid over the phone and sent a friend to pick it up, in order to prevent being carless this weekend. So I have no reciept, and still don't know EXACTLY what was done, but I've emailed them and should get one soon. All I know is that the cars temp no longer reads a tick above the midway mark as it used to, and now my AC, and heater work on all levels of the rotary dial, and not just on full blast as they used to.

It's a relief to have my car back, but these past two days I've been considering calling it quits and getting an econo car until I'm out of college and can more easily afford these surprize repairs. I'm now just hoping that the E34 will hold out for a year or so without needing any major repairs. Anyone else have experiences like this with their cars? After all, many are approaching the 20 year mark, and although we all swear to run them until they die, I'm still fearing the day I have to let mine die.

Gayle
07-07-2006, 10:42 PM
David

Those repairs must be killing you on a student budget. Even not being on a student budget, the repairs on our former 525 always seemed stunningly expensive and too frequent. I feel a little differently now, because my expectations are different.

I sincerely believe it takes $2,000 a year to keep a BMW on the road whether it is 3 years old or 20 years old. I don't think it is fair though to compare the cost of repair to the total value of the car. With an e34 you get a luxury experience at a budget price in terms of purchase price. Even at the $2k a year, I think what you get for the total dollars is a deal.

If you were not prepared for the $2k a year, I can understand why you are questioning whether you should keep it. I sincerely hope you are able to hang on to yours.

HDhandyman
07-07-2006, 10:57 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I'm probably not in quite as much of a financial pickle & I can't imagine what it costs to live in California, but I have developed a little bit of a strategy.

In the beginning it was always like--set a little bit of money aside for a mod, BLAM! surprise repair---set a little bit of money aside for a mod, BLAM! surprise repair. It could be very frustrating, wanting to love on your car and then having to keep it alive instead. Then I remembered a talk that I had back in my restaurant days with one of the waiters who always seemed to be doing very well financially. I asked him "how is it that all these other waiters have so little money, and you always seem to be doing nice things for yourself?". His response was to "pay your self!". When you pay your bills, pay your self.

So, somewhere along the line I decided that if I was ever going to make head-way on my car, instead of getting behind, I would have to "pay my car". Now, every time I pay for a repair, I work twice as hard to pay for a mod ASAP (and I really mean that). Sure, sometimes that can be expensive, and maybe too expensive for you. But, it's important to strive for that extra cash straight away and make a mod right away so that you can love your car again. I guess what I'm trying to say is "pay your car when you pay your bills on Friday or whatever, and save money for repairs."

Sooner or later you might just meet in the middle and find that mods and repairs are inter-changeable.:)

Also, try to remember how much you'll hate driving something else and how much you'll miss to the chance to do a mod when you have the money but you're stuck driving an Accord or Prius or whatever.

SC David
07-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks Gayle, I definitely understand the cost of owning this car, and it has cost me about $2000 a year on average which is to be expected. This year has been exceptionally expensive, with bills totalling around $3000 over the past three months. I guess it just got to that point in its life when everything needed to get replaced. I'm hoping for a cheaper year starting today, is all. If costs continue at the rate they have been, I'm going to have to live in the car, and ditch the house, which actually doesn't sound so bad :)

SC David
07-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Sooner or later you might just meet in the middle and find that mods and repairs are inter-changeable.:)

Haha, this is true. I have some suspension components that need redoing, which coincides with the springs and shocks that will need to be installed soon.

Gayle
07-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks Gayle, I definitely understand the cost of owning this car, and it has cost me about $2000 a year on average which is to be expected. This year has been exceptionally expensive, with bills totalling around $3000 over the past three months. I guess it just got to that point in its life when everything needed to get replaced. I'm hoping for a cheaper year starting today, is all. If costs continue at the rate they have been, I'm going to have to live in the car, and ditch the house, which actually doesn't sound so bad :)

The $2k is an average. Some years its $1200 and some years its $3k. You are probably good for a while, if its $3k in the last 3 months.

(Selling now would be like selling a stock when it is at the low point in its cycle rather than selling at the peak--but the normal emotional reaction is to want to get out when things are not going well and not taking into consideration the cycle and that things are likely to change. It is probably those who have not had to make an expensive repair lately who should be thinking about selling.)

I had the inspection 2 on my car last December and it was wonderful. I have my repairs planned out for the next year because I know what is on the way out and how far along the problems are. I might not feel that way if my indy were not so great and really explained everything to me.

Jon K
07-07-2006, 11:08 PM
No - never.

liquidtiger720
07-08-2006, 12:10 AM
David, sorry to hear what happened.....so, its all patched up?

Don't feel bad. My car got a taste of the tow truck madness today.

I was at stonestown and got back in the car to go grab dinner. Starts fine, then starts to shake and stutter. Then dies. Hasn't been able to start up again. I suspect its the fuel pump. :(

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-08-2006, 12:15 AM
it's just a labor of love

Qube
07-08-2006, 12:36 AM
It's the cost of ownership. How much did you pay for your car? Exactly. It all evens out... except you're driving a luxury car instead of an econobox and making payments monthly :) In the long run, this is better I'd say.

On that note, my temp is a full needle width space from center. I need to components changed soon (probably next week). I have all the parts, so labor would be about $200-250 if 'outsourced'.

Changing:

11531722531 Thermostat Housing RONAK
17111469177 Behr OEM Radiator
17111742231 Expansion Tank Radiator Cap
11521712058 Fan Blade RONAK
11537511580 Thermostat
11 53 1 265 084 Thermostat O Ring
11 53 1 740 437 Thermostat Housing Gasket
11 51 7 527 910 Water Pump
(This is updated with a metal impellor, stock was a plastic impellor)
11531720678 Upper Radiator Hose
11531722852 Lower Radiator Hose
13541738622 Cooling Hose
64211384746 Cooling Hose
13541730684 Cooling Hose

wingman
07-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Yes, Oh YES. This is the insert from the driver's door of my car. It has taken me about 6 hours SO FAR to try and fix both the sagging vinyl AND the shite repair from the previous owner. BMW should be shot for the material they put in these cars. An E39 is begging to have my attention but I just love this car I guess.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/doorfront.jpg

HDhandyman
07-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Yes, Oh YES. This is the insert from the driver's door of my car. It has taken me about 6 hours SO FAR to try and fix both the sagging vinyl AND the shite repair from the previous owner. BMW should be shot for the material they put in these cars. An E39 is begging to have my attention but I just love this car I guess.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/doorfront.jpg

We're crossing threads here (about 4) but WTF!:) That is exactly what I'm talking about with the panels, only mine was about 20 X WORSE (not kidding). God, I wish I had taken pics. Thought about taking pics of all the rags covered in gunk, but ultimately decided I needed to devote my photo posting time elsewhere. LOL:D

Paul in NZ
07-08-2006, 01:32 AM
BMW should be shot for the material they put in these cars. An E39 is begging to have my attention but I just love this car I guess.

Dont expect an e 39 to be superior to the e34 in the interior trim dept,

Paul in NZ
07-08-2006, 01:33 AM
these are ols cars,and evry car needs a water pump now and then even toyotas and Hondas.
The only time i seriously considered sellinfg my 535 was when i drive a 540...until the first corner

wingman
07-08-2006, 01:49 AM
You are feeling my pain. Good to see you posting again Hdguru!

BillionPa
07-08-2006, 02:24 AM
I know how it is, although my broken parts started appearing AFTER almost all the mods were done, and i had absolutely no money left!!!!

coolant leaking from hoses.... $3 of high temp silicone and $30 on extra antifreeze, hopefully will work for a while

power steering fluid leak.... $40 for an extra bottle of CHF11s an some Lucas power steering stop leak, working so far!

tires going bald.... thats the new suspensions fault, for letting me take hairpin turns at 55mph! totally worth it.

13mpg from driving with the foot to far down.... $20 of pure acetone = $40 less i have to spend on fuel, so im halfway paid for the power steering fluid and have clean injectors!

-----------

now about what COULD go wrong....

steering box failure.... $700 for a refurbished box, plus ungodly V8 labor costs to get it changed

tire failure going around a corner.... i dont even wanna know!!!!

when i started doing stuff to the car, i had a LOT of people telling me i should get something else with lower cost of ownership... but now even they are considering getting an E34 or 36, since they are SO nice when you get em all gussied up, and probably at a lower cost than other cars, in much more style.

dont sell your car! im going to bed now, exhausted brain rant over.

Nick.Hay
07-08-2006, 02:28 AM
I took mine around some used car lots, and NO ONE would touch it!!

I only contemplategetting rid of her when a TOURING comes along to tempt me!! I love those wagons!!

But for a while... I'l hang on to her~~

Montreal525
07-08-2006, 05:06 AM
I took mine around some used car lots, and NO ONE would touch it!!

Went to a new car dealer to trade for a new car and was offered $2k and that was before the tranny gave out. Junkyard won't go higher than $1k. With the tranny work and my screw-ups, in the last 6 months, I'm up to $7k in repairs but I have to say the first 36 months of ownership were not that expensive. All in all, it's still less expensive than a Honda, about $400 a month all included. That is if she gives me a break after the new tranny.... I have so much money into her now I have to keep her for a while or else I'll lose it all so 2 more years at least...

Jeff

F4Phantom
07-08-2006, 07:15 AM
13mpg from driving with the foot to far down.... $20 of pure acetone = $40 less i have to spend on fuel, so im halfway paid for the power steering fluid and have clean injectors!

Hey I have read and heard a little about that but decided it probably didnt work. DO you actually see a fuel saving? Who sells it. And also does it harm the engine.

zmuff
07-08-2006, 07:30 AM
It's ironic you should ask that question David. I'm in the middle of the same deal right now. With all of the medical bills and other bills I have racked up in the last 7 months, I see selling my beloved 535i as some releif to my situation. I know where I can pick up a $500.00 beater e30 to get me by until I get my feet back on the floor.

I think selling it upsets my wife more than it does me. It kind of sucks considering selling the one car I have wanted more than any other, knowing all of the work I put into it. I may post it here in a few weeks to see if I can give it a good loving home.

Airborne001
07-08-2006, 08:39 AM
A brand new economy Jap Trap will run you a minimum of $250 a month in payments = $3000/yr

End result you just paid $3000/yr to drive a Jap piece of crap.

:D

Russell
07-08-2006, 08:40 AM
$2,232 per year for all repairs and a few mods since owned the car. These cars are not cheap to own if you want to keep them as close to 100% as reasonably possible.

Have owned the car for 3.5 years. This does not include gasoline. It does incude tires, EAT chip, front struts, upper trrust arms, water pump, waxes etc. I estimated I have saved about $95 per month by doing some jobs myself (such as plugs, brakes) and BMA etc, for selected parts.

I keep a speadsheet of all repairs etc on all my vehicles. Helped big time with Ford regarding an Explorer warrenty issue. Hope this is of interest.

Bill R.
07-08-2006, 09:29 AM
comparison test checking mileage exactly with a predetermined amount of gas , they tried acetone and a number of other so called fuel mileage increasing devices. None of them increased mileage , many of them decreased mileage.
This acetone thing has to be a rumor started by some acetone manufacturer to augment his poor sales. The mythbusters episode was only a couple of weeks ago, They'll probably repeat it numerous times since they usually do.

Hey I have read and heard a little about that but decided it probably didnt work. DO you actually see a fuel saving? Who sells it. And also does it harm the engine.

ThoreauHD
07-08-2006, 09:33 AM
This is not a student car. I didn't have an extra 3 grand in college at any point in my study as I recall. Unless the parents are tossing money at you or you spend most of your time working rather than studying, this car is not an idea that's time has come.

That 2K repair you just did is what I had to do in addition to all the gaskets and seals and transmission and valves and .. you get the point. I am up to the original price of the car now in repairs. The car was 7K, and I've put in 7K on top in repairs.

But here's the thing. It's 12K for the finest ****ing car I've ever seen. It runs like a top when you replace all the rubber parts. It's quiet, stable, safe, and makes guys and girls cream. It's perfection. But all of this comes with a price. The price is money and time. Both of which I had ZERO of in college.

Now that I'm working and out in the world, I can afford to dick around with these annoyances. It's still inconvenient, but all my friends have cars and I don't have to be in 6 places at once. Just work. So, there it is. This is not a student car. If you are a student mechanic or drug dealer, then ok.. you can swing it. But if you are normal, hell no. You will starve to death.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/poor.jpg

Bill R.
07-08-2006, 09:55 AM
3 to 4 hundred a year on mine, but then again i have stock size wheels, tires , stock suspension, no chip , no bling. And i do all my own maintenance. If i was a starving student and had one, I'm pretty sure that i would learn to change my own water pump if i saved a couple of hundred bucks, especially if it was as easy as a bmw pump is. I was under the impression that i was helping people to do these things here...

Russell
07-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Bill, since you do it youself and get parts cheaper than most of us, your car must be very very reliable. Can you tell us your service shechedule? :)

Of course, you have been a big big help to me, especially in understanding systems and directing me to understand what I can do and what I need to let my indy do.

Bill R.
07-08-2006, 10:27 AM
breaks... I don't have any spreadsheets or schedules, usually customers cars keep me busy enough that i don't work on my own unless there's a lull. I change my oil twice a year once in summer and once in winter. And typically adjust the valves about the same time. If something looks amiss at that point then i'll fix it. Or if my wife specifically mentions something i'll fix it. As i said i don't really have a service schedule, I just look it over every so often and if i see something that needs to be done then i do it.

Bill, since you do it youself and get parts cheaper than most of us, your car must be very very reliable. Can you tell us your service shechedule? :)

Of course, you have been a big big help to me, especially in understanding systems and directing me to understand what I can do and what I need to let my indy do.

ILoveMPower
07-08-2006, 04:42 PM
No - never.

SC David
07-08-2006, 07:45 PM
:( http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2825/ohnoes8ff.jpg

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-08-2006, 07:52 PM
I keep the car stock, and check over it periodcally to make sure nothing sneaks up on the wife and the car runs and runs.

Airborne001
07-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Ok, am I the only one that found this to be disturbing?

It's 12K for the finest ****ing car I've ever seen.
and .....makes guys and girls cream