PDA

View Full Version : Power Seat Troubleshooting

Spongebob
07-07-2006, 09:41 PM
I recently purchased a 1995 525i. My 8 year old son placed the passenger seat in the reclined position. Now it will not function at all...not up, not down, not forward or backward, nor will the back of the seat return from its reclined position. In other words, none of the seat functions work. There is no sound made by any of the motors when the switches are manipulated. The heaters still work. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and they look fine. Does anyone know of any other fuses, relays, or limit switches that need to be checked? Could both switches go bad simultanously? All motors too? Seems strange to me. The driver's seat continues to work fine. HELP!!!

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-07-2006, 09:49 PM
get a meter and see if the seat is getting power.

There is also some fuses and relay under the back seat that belong to the seat system.

Bill R.
07-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I recently purchased a 1995 525i. My 8 year old son placed the passenger seat in the reclined position. Now it will not function at all...not up, not down, not forward or backward, nor will the back of the seat return from its reclined position. In other words, none of the seat functions work. There is no sound made by any of the motors when the switches are manipulated. The heaters still work. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and they look fine. Does anyone know of any other fuses, relays, or limit switches that need to be checked? Could both switches go bad simultanously? All motors too? Seems strange to me. The driver's seat continues to work fine. HELP!!!

swenpro
07-07-2006, 10:51 PM

I have had the same problem that you describe, but for the driver's seat. It began with the seat moving intermittantly, and progressed to not moving at all. I drove around for two weeks this winter with the seat back all the way down and two pillows propping me up ;) . The fix? No fuses or anything simple that I could find. I even tried two other memory control modules (large plastic box under the seat that everything hooks up to), and the same problem was there. The trick was to wait a few weeks and the seat might move for 3 seconds before quitting. Almost seems like something becomes overloaded. And when it does, nothing in the memory works... power mirrors, telescoping wheel, or power driver seat. Interestingly enough, the seat has been working every time I try to adjust lately... I don't make the mistake of pushing it to an awkward position again, tho, for fear of it not coming back to life! :D Let me know what you come up with for a real solution.

Greg

Spongebob
07-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Replacing Fuse #43 under the back seat did the trick! Front passenger seat is functioning once again. The rear seat was a pain to get out though with the front seat laying on top of it

Again, thanks to all who responded.