PDA

View Full Version : What misc parts req'd to install Sachs Kit?

RobPatt
04-01-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm back after a 6 month break! In the USAF, moved from Hawaii to Florida and went to officer training school to get a commission in the process. Good to be settled down again.....It's time for new floor mats and new suspension.

- What little misc parts will I need/should I replace while installing the Sachs Suspension Kit? (nuts, bolts, bump stops, etc). I'll be ordering as soon as I can get a comprehensive parts list. Seems there was one on the board a while ago.....

Thanks. -Rob sends...

RobPatt
04-01-2004, 11:20 AM

Jr ///M5
04-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Congratulations on the Sachs purchase, I had one on my '89 535 and really liked the way it handled and the looks of the lowered stance. The ride was a bit firmer, but on smooth highways it was a joy.

While you have the suspension apart, it's usually a good time to do the thrust arms, lower and upper. You should also look into new strut bearings (stay away from Meyle) especially with the mileage on the car. Remember to save a little bit of money to get the front end aligned when you're finished. If you can afford to have the above items done, you'll be glad you did. The new kit will put extra stress on worn suspension parts and they will manifest themselves shortly and you'll be back in there again replacing parts. With all of the suspension freshened, you'll enjoy your BMW as if it were a brand new one again, only better.

Hope this helps some,
Enjoy your new Sachs!

Jr

mikemaster
04-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Where can you order the Sach's kit?

mholbrook
04-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Call Patrick or Yves at BMA. They will get you a great price on the kit and help you out with any little things you might need. That generally will only be the plastic sleeves that go on the bump stops. The kit is pretty complete, like everything you need.

One very important thing.........

DO NOT USE AN AIR TOOLS (IMPACT WRENCH) TO TIGHTEN THE NUTS ON TOP OF THE STRUTS. Ask me how I know!

This is a very good kit. The price is right and it is all tuned for the E34. You will not have the problem that Bilstein owners always have, namely the "Ker-Bang" when you go over any kind of bump.

Mike Holbrook
Spring Valley, CA