PDA

View Full Version : What is the black sticky stuff?

bbig119
07-07-2006, 10:42 AM
I've had my door panel off for a while, and I've got a question before I put it all back together.

The foam insulation had a black sticky adhesive to hold it to the door. When I removed it, some remained on the door, and some to the foam. What is this stuff? Should I apply some fresh adhesive when I mount the foam to the door or can this stuff be reused as it is?

Thanks,

Bryan

Bill R.
07-07-2006, 11:07 AM
really don't like that stuff, here where ambient temps are often 105F and higher that stuff is really tacky and spiderwebs like crazy when i pull a panel off...

I've had my door panel off for a while, and I've got a question before I put it all back together.

The foam insulation had a black sticky adhesive to hold it to the door. When I removed it, some remained on the door, and some to the foam. What is this stuff? Should I apply some fresh adhesive when I mount the foam to the door or can this stuff be reused as it is?

Thanks,

Bryan

bbig119
07-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Bill, do you use something else then?

632 Regal
07-07-2006, 01:03 PM
spitoodle find it on the bay

Toomas
07-07-2006, 01:23 PM
It should be tar and the foam should be tar mat and you just buy new ones, heat them up and apply.
Its a generic material that fits all cars (you just have to cut it yourself) so dont buy it from dealer for your soul and two limbs.

632 Regal
07-07-2006, 01:31 PM
same stuff they use on windshields acrillic sealer.

Bill R.
07-07-2006, 01:59 PM
part from bmw for their shop supply

It should be tar and the foam should be tar mat and you just buy new ones, heat them up and apply.
Its a generic material that fits all cars (you just have to cut it yourself) so dont buy it from dealer for your soul and two limbs.

HDhandyman
07-07-2006, 06:09 PM
OMG get rid of that stuff with Goo Gone and be done with it. Find something else to use like Jeff said. I also hate that ****. Spiderwebs is an understatement. WTF kind of idea was Tar anyway? A miracle of German engineering....don't think so.

joshua43214
07-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Ya, I hate the stuff to, its a total pain to keep it off your hands so you can handle the other interior parts. I always reuse it anyway, it does do a nice job of sealing.

Bill R.
07-07-2006, 06:56 PM
. The only place i've seen tar used is as an undercoating product.

OMG get rid of that stuff with Goo Gone and be done with it. Find something else to use like Jeff said. I also hate that ****. Spiderwebs is an understatement. WTF kind of idea was Tar anyway? A miracle of German engineering....don't think so.

HDhandyman
07-07-2006, 08:40 PM
. The only place i've seen tar used is as an undercoating product.

"undercoating product" could you be a little more specific? Did you read my thread from yesterday ("it's the little things that get your goat") when I took off the panels that are on the doors (you know, the ones that Pancake replaced with red on his car that go under the door handle) to do a little cleaning. If that stuff wasn't tar, I don't know what it was, but there was definately epoxy there, and that was an absolute bitch mixed with the other stuff--like glass mixed with tar. If I find out that BMW did that on purpose, I may need to seriously re-think things.

Bill R.
07-07-2006, 08:52 PM
that. Bmw doesn't use any tar product on the door panels. The butyl cord that we've been discussing is the one that glues the plastic sheeting to the metal door frame to keep moisture away from the door panel and to help seal the door panel. The door panel is separate from this.

"undercoating product" could you be a little more specific? Did you read my thread from yesterday ("it's the little things that get your goat") when I took off the panels that are on the doors (you know, the ones that Pancake replaced with red on his car that go under the door handle) to do a little cleaning. If that stuff wasn't tar, I don't know what it was, but there was definately epoxy there, and that was an absolute bitch mixed with the other stuff--like glass mixed with tar. If I find out that BMW did that on purpose, I may need to seriously re-think things.

HDhandyman
07-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh, ok. Sorry, I thought we were discussing something else, my mistake. Good to know that I was correct in my assumption about P.O.---thanks, Bill

Yiorgos
07-07-2006, 09:22 PM
part from bmw for their shop supply

A little OT, but Bill what program is that where you showed part numbers etc for BMW parts? How does one get their hands on such an app?

Bill R.
07-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Ebay Australia for it (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-EPC-ETK-SERIES-3-5-6-7-8-Z4-PARTS-CATALOGUE-CD_W0QQitemZ230005607714QQihZ013QQcategoryZ121929Q QssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). Or do a search for the bmw ETK on ebay.

There was a link to a downloadable one that was the java based etk but that link is gone now. There should also be a number of people on her that are in Australia who might send you a copy too.

A little OT, but Bill what program is that where you showed part numbers etc for BMW parts? How does one get their hands on such an app?

Yiorgos
07-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Ebay Australia for it (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-EPC-ETK-SERIES-3-5-6-7-8-Z4-PARTS-CATALOGUE-CD_W0QQitemZ230005607714QQihZ013QQcategoryZ121929Q QssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). Or do a search for the bmw ETK on ebay.

There was a link to a downloadable one that was the java based etk but that link is gone now. There should also be a number of people on her that are in Australia who might send you a copy too.

Thanks for that Bill, much appreciated :D