PDA

View Full Version : Press brake and hear a click like micro switch

F4Phantom
07-07-2006, 06:49 AM
This prob has been with the car since I got it. You press the brake pedal, and when an electric circuit is formed for the brake sensors and I would guess rear brake lights, I hear a clicking sound from the passenger foot well. Its like a microswitch or electronic actuator click. Do all you guys have this sound?

RobPatt
07-07-2006, 10:54 AM
...the thing you replace when you get the "brake light circuit" error... check it out on www.bmwe34.net.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Electrical/brake_switch.htm

Aim High F-4.

This prob has been with the car since I got it. You press the brake pedal, and when an electric circuit is formed for the brake sensors and I would guess rear brake lights, I hear a clicking sound from the passenger foot well. Its like a microswitch or electronic actuator click. Do all you guys have this sound?

Paul in NZ
07-07-2006, 05:51 PM
if you are 100 per cent sure it comes frm the pasengers side you may find that you have the rhd model where the brake pedal has a thrust rod that goes across to the lhs of the car and the brake light switch sits behind the glovebox
I found this out when i went to replace my brake light switch

rob101
07-07-2006, 08:29 PM
yeah man thats normal
its just the midget in the dashboard turning the brake light on and off

Nick.Hay
07-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Mine does it too!!! Its kinda annoying, and I guess if you REALLY hate it, you could wrap the switch/relay in something to quieten it... Too much work I think!! Silent indicators would be very cool too!!

pundit
07-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Yeah that's normal.
Remember you a driving a car originally engineered as a L/H/D vehicle with but with some controls operating 'remotely' from the opposite side when produced in a R/H/D configuration. The brake pedal for instance!

F4Phantom
07-08-2006, 05:31 AM
cool thanks guys. I can deal with any noises as long as they are supposed to be there.