PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the rear view mirror metal mount from windscreen

sbihue
07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I have a Gentex homelink mirror which i purchased for my new Passat. However i got a homelink visor for that car and now want to put it on my bimmer.

How do i remove the existing mirror mount from the windscreen without breaking it since the new mirror has a wedge shaped mount.

Any insider tips/tricks

Also what is the best way to fix a new mount (What type of Glue etc ) to use

Many Thanks
Steve

joshua43214
07-06-2006, 08:48 PM
I have seen people use both heat guns and propane torchs to remove mirror mounts. But I have never tried it and I have not seen it done on a BMW, but I assume it should work the same.

attach the mount with a mirror mounting kit from NAPA. The kit will have a thing of cleaner and a thing of adhesive, follow the directions exactly. Use an indelible marker to make a mark where the mount goes on the outside of the glass before you remove the old mount, the clean it off with a razor blade when you are all done.

Hallmark
07-07-2006, 09:52 AM
This mean that if you can apply a quick twisting motion parallel to the glass it should pop off. Make sure you don't pull against the glass but stay parallel to it to minimize the possibility of damaging the glass.

632 Regal
07-07-2006, 10:09 AM
yeah, thats probably better than a hammer and screwdriver...
This mean that if you can apply a quick twisting motion parallel to the glass it should pop off. Make sure you don't pull against the glass but stay parallel to it to minimize the possibility of damaging the glass.

sbihue
07-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks will try that and let you know

632 Regal
07-07-2006, 10:59 AM
NO Dude! I was kidding!!!
Thanks will try that and let you know

Kalevera
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I'd let a professional do this, or at least someone with insurance (unless if your insurance company covers glass for free). In doing this exact procedure, I managed to pull a good chunk out of my windshield. If the glass is OEM, it's soft enough that it might be more forgiving.

best, whit

sbihue
07-07-2006, 02:15 PM
NO Dude! I was kidding!!!

me too :)

I will try to HEAT up the metal and try to scrape it using a sharp razor