PDA

View Full Version : E34 side door panel skins

bal3056
04-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Dear friends,

I believe we are all aware that the skins on the door panels tend to give way with buldging all over.

We have the same problem here in Malaysia coz of the hot tropical climate which chews up most BMW interiors. Mine was equally bad. So I recently had them fully covered with Italian leather from the top to the bottom as well as the handles. It looks much better than original and gives the interior a much more luxurious feel. Guess what, it'll last for a long time to come. The adhesive used is made locally to withstand our harsh climate. Costs for all 4 doors approx. US$450.00.

Another problem we have here is the panels board itself tends to disintegrate after many years and boards are hard to come by here. So, I'm now in talks with a fibreglass manufacturer on the possibility of manufacturing these door panel boards in FRP material. The costing will depend on the volume to justify the business. These FRP boards will lasts forever.

Just thought I'd share this with all of you.

H Mayer
Malaysia
E34 520i Auto

winfred
04-01-2004, 10:31 AM
pictures!

TheGeak
04-01-2004, 10:32 AM
i second that!!

That sounds VERY reasonable!!

bal3056
04-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Pics will be posted as soon as possible. trying to get hold of a digital camera.

H Mayer
Malaysia

Warren N.CA
04-01-2004, 11:02 AM
it could be a bit tricky to color match match light grey or natur.

Dear friends,

I believe we are all aware that the skins on the door panels tend to give way with buldging all over.

We have the same problem here in Malaysia coz of the hot tropical climate which chews up most BMW interiors. Mine was equally bad. So I recently had them fully covered with Italian leather from the top to the bottom as well as the handles. It looks much better than original and gives the interior a much more luxurious feel. Guess what, it'll last for a long time to come. The adhesive used is made locally to withstand our harsh climate. Costs for all 4 doors approx. US$450.00.

Another problem we have here is the panels board itself tends to disintegrate after many years and boards are hard to come by here. So, I'm now in talks with a fibreglass manufacturer on the possibility of manufacturing these door panel boards in FRP material. The costing will depend on the volume to justify the business. These FRP boards will lasts forever.

Just thought I'd share this with all of you.

H Mayer
Malaysia
E34 520i Auto