PDA

View Full Version : Starting, need help

zivac05
07-06-2006, 04:02 AM
I am a new owner of BMW E34 520i 1998. I need advice, because car was parked (outside) for about four years. Is there any advice (beside replacing dead battery), about starting engine, steering, breaks, or anything else, after such a long period of time?

joshua43214
07-06-2006, 05:44 AM
check all the fluids.

pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it untill the oil light goes off, this will get some oil spread out in th eengine before you start it.

its going to have alot of lot rot, you will probably be into brakes all the way arround and possibly alot of other stuff as well depending on what surface the car was parked on.

Ross
07-06-2006, 07:15 AM
A little squirt of oil in the cylinders would be beneficial as there is little splash lubrication at cranking speeds. Some thing light or even ATF is OK.
It's likely going to be a bit noisy in the valvetrain after being dormant for so long keep the revs down until it quiets down.

VentoGT
07-06-2006, 08:56 AM
If you mean the car hasn't been driven in 4 years you should probably put some drygas in the tank as there is probably more water than gas in there now--if you can, siphon out the fuel in there and put new gas in. Change all the fluids, filters, etc. Your tires are toast/flat spotted and you will need new ones. I would basically flatbed the thing to a mechanic you trust and have everything from an Inspection II done as well as carefully looking over every rubber piece in the car, and replace everything. I hope you didn't pay much because this won't be cheap to do.

BillionPa
07-06-2006, 11:16 PM
oil change!

grab some Lubro Moly MoS2 oil treatment, and dump that in there too, since the car will need it!

i would remove all the fuel from the fuel lines and rail, manually clean the injectors, put on new o-rings, then reinstall and pressurize it with manual voltage to the fuel pump... after dumping all the old gas and replacing the fuel filters that is. get some lucas upper cylinder lube for the new gas, as the pump and injectors should have ample lubrication as well as the engine.

i would strongly consider VentoGT's advice about insp. 2.

in terms of brakes, the pistons are probably toast, get all new (or rebuilt, whatev) replacment calipers and new rotors with new pads. grab new lines too. have the mechanic check for pervasive rust on all the steel brake lines under the car, and the steel fuel lines. you dont want one of those to start leaking under pressure.

get new intake manifold and throttle body gaskets, clean out the throttle and ICV, replace all the exterior light bulbs, new oil pan gasket (check the pump bolts and chain play down there, make sure there isnt any rust inside the engine!!!)

well, yeah there is a lot, dont forget anything important!

zivac05
07-12-2006, 04:10 AM
Thanks for advice.

My question was not precise. Question was: How to start engine and not to break any thing. I had to start engine on the spot, and drive car for 100m because I couldn't get it out from small yard, pushing up hill or towing. Bad luck.

Trick with oil worked fine, except for cylinder #6. I couldn't unscrew spark plug. Engine starts immediately, but works bad. Situation is better after adding fresh petrol but not ideal. Revs good but idle speed is uneven, and low (about 500/min). I think there is a lot of work for professional mechanic.

Only windscreen wipers are blocked on half. New tires are bad, and the new battery is dead. Somebody asked me about price for car. It was gift, and I am good with mechanic.

But Bodywork is very bad. Believe it or not previous owner hit a sheep on the road, and right headlight and bonnet ??? (engine cover) are dislocated. Almost every body panel is scratched. No rust. But I think it is good deal.

Sorry for Tarzan English, and thank you again.

VentoGT
07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Well a $0 car like that is a great price no matter how much work you have to put into it I would think! No worries about your English as I can't speak another language so you're one up on me. I can't even speak idiot in any other language except un petit peu de Francais but that is it. Post some pictures and let us see that car when you get a chance!