PDA

View Full Version : Citroen H-van

Bruce Kennett
07-05-2006, 10:33 PM
ross asked to see the citroen. here are a couple of pics (that's my barn in the background, where i live and work).

citroen designed this van in secret in 1945 while the nazis were still occupying paris and the automobile factories. after liberation, they set out to make it in earnest, with first production year 1947. this van and the 2CV were the mainstays of the feeble french economy as it got back onto its feet. the chief designer, pierre franchiset, knew that metal would be in *very* short supply so borrowed an idea from the junkers plane and used corrugated sheetmetal to gain a desired panel strngth with less steel consumed.

my truck is a 1976 but it could stand next to a 1956 with almost no differences visible. in fact, the design remained essentially uchanged from june 1947 until they stopped making h-vans in december 1981! i guess they figured if it worked that well -- and didn't have to impress anyone with "the newest lines" the way a facel-vega had to -- why change it?

most of 500,000 they produced were enclosed vans powered by a cast-iron 4-cyl gasoline motor. (think of inspector clouseau being whisked off to the police station in one painted black-and-white. the french slang for those police vans was "salad baskets")

mine is quite rare even in france because it is a pick-up body (most were enclosed) and it has an indenor 1.9 diesel motor (quite a bit more expensive than the gasoline, so very few sold). the truck has a payload of 3500 lbs, gets 27 mpg, and goes about 50 mph when floored.

3-speed tranny. first is only good for pulling stumps. second let's you drive away smoothly from a stop and goes up to maybe 20 mph. thrid does everything else and as you aqpproach 40 you keep reaching for the shifter to go into fourth except . . . it's not there!

we think there are about a dozen h-vans in north america but noibody knows the exact number. there's one in waterville, maine; one in philly; one in ottawa; a couple in montreal; several on west coast of u.s., and supposedly a few in florida.

mine was bought new in 1977 by a "pepinier" (fruit tree nursery) near clermont-ferrand in the center of france. he used it for 26 years and drove it just over 100,000 km. never spent a night outside and was always kept scrupulously clean because of the baby trees it transported. i bought it from him and had it shipped from rotterdam to baltimore, where i picked it up in october of 2001.

it's a really strong, dependable truck. the bed was designed to be very low so that oxen could walk into it up a low ramp, or large wine casks could be rolled up into the bed. the french call it "le nez de cochon" -- "the pig snout" -- for obvious reasons.

over and out.

RockJock
07-05-2006, 10:39 PM
very cool!

Bruce Kennett
07-05-2006, 10:42 PM
i also have wooden sides for the back but they weren't fitted when i took these pictures.

RockJock
07-05-2006, 10:44 PM
i also enjoyed your little write-up.

632 Regal
07-05-2006, 10:50 PM
I have never saw anything like that, Thanks!

Bill R.
07-06-2006, 12:50 AM
I've always wanted an SM but now that i can afford one ,they just don't have the same appeal that they did.

i also have wooden sides for the back but they weren't fitted when i took these pictures.

CharlesAFerg
07-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Wow!!!

Nick.Hay
07-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Wow... Thats HIDEOUS!!!

Looks like the bastard child of a 2CV and a garden shed!! HAHAHHAAA!!

Amazing piece of machinery, I bet it pulls the looks too!!

fujioko
07-06-2006, 06:06 AM
That is an awesome little truck!

shogun
07-06-2006, 06:59 AM
My 2 CV from the last production year. Bought it new in Japan, was only registered 2 years and has now 1.200 km only on the clock.
Did not drive it for years, but engine runs fine when I start it with the starter crank handle
Should clean it sometimes at least :)
http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/shogun/CIMG2623.JPG

genphreak
07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
I've always wanted an SM but now that i can afford one ,they just don't have the same appeal that they did.I'm the same. SMs were, but still are hot.

Always will be.

Aesethically it is a spaceship, not a vehicle. It should never have had wheels.

The design was timeless.

Don't wait another 10 years to find out it was a temporary thing Bill, they will be too expensive. DS21s aren't cheap now and they made heeeeaps of them.

Where are Citroen's modern H vans, DSs, SMs and 2CVs? They make great vans but so do everyone else.

I want to see a modern day SM, it'd be way slicker than a DeLorean and be a whole lot nicer to look at.

Ross
07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks Bruce for the look and info. There is also a van version of this that is in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin each year for the Brian Redman Challenge at Road America. Now that we have a digital camera I'll take a snapshot this year and post it. The event is less than two weeks off.
The streets of the town are absolutely littered with vintage racing machines and every kind of sports car imaginable yet this thing always draws a crowd.

Bruce Kennett
07-06-2006, 08:35 AM
at presednt i have a 1969 DS21 parts car.

i had a very nice 1972 DS21 but sold it in a hurry when my mother had medical problems. since i plan to get another sometime, i've hung onto the parts car.

I've always wanted an SM but now that i can afford one ,they just don't have the same appeal that they did.

for some reason they've never appealed to me. that's the robert opron era -- CX, BX, SM -- and i much prefer the more flowing lines of the DS. just as i think the E34 (and E28) are much more beuatiful than the newer cars. i can tell you, though, driving an SM is a very thrilling experience.

genphreak
07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks Bruce for the look and info. There is also a van version of this that is in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin each year for the Brian Redman Challenge at Road America. Now that we have a digital camera I'll take a snapshot this year and post it. The event is less than two weeks off.
The streets of the town are absolutely littered with vintage racing machines and every kind of sports car imaginable yet this thing always draws a crowd.I love those cans. They populate every French town square on every weekly market-day since the war. They probably carried everything item in the country 10 times... they moved the country, literally. All at snails pace. :D I'll always remember them from my childhood.

Wish I could find one here in Aus- never seen a single one.

Great work Bruce, look after her, she'll love you forever that little van.

:) Nick

Bill R.
07-06-2006, 10:28 AM
citroens, ducks and ds's, in the early 60's this was an unusual thing here in the southwest. That may have fanned my early interest in them and working on some in the early 70's added to it. That plus the cool tv commercial they used to have where they got a flat tire, removed one wheel and drove off on 3..:)

at presednt i have a 1969 DS21 parts car.

i had a very nice 1972 DS21 but sold it in a hurry when my mother had medical problems. since i plan to get another sometime, i've hung onto the parts car.

for some reason they've never appealed to me. that's the robert opron era -- CX, BX, SM -- and i much prefer the more flowing lines of the DS. just as i think the E34 (and E28) are much more beuatiful than the newer cars. i can tell you, though, driving an SM is a very thrilling experience.