PDA

View Full Version : hub centric rings, what are they?

guinness
07-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Got a flat the other day and I finally got time today to go out and pick up a new tire. I mounted the wheel and as I was putting everything away I noticed the big sticker on the tool compartment. I have Borbet type H rims and I don't know if I need the rings.
thanks
Jim

saj3n
07-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Got a flat the other day and I finally got time today to go out and pick up a new tire. I mounted the wheel and as I was putting everything away I noticed the big sticker on the tool compartment. I have Borbet type H rims and I don't know if I need the rings.
thanks
Jim

To the best of my knowledge, hub centric rings make up the difference in space between the hub center of our cars, and the wheels made for other bmw models (such as the e39).

saj3n
07-05-2006, 08:00 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/wheels_upgrade.htm

KenB
07-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I have the same wheels, you DO need the rings.

I found out when I got new tires last year. I went to a Tires Plus store because they had Hunter Roadforce balancing and I am VERY picky about tire balance.

I started by asking the manager to mind the rings and use stick on weights same as what were on there, I guess my request went over his head and/or offended his professional sensibilities, I was completely ignored.

When I returned the 5th time after rebalancing and being told by the fellow with 3 teeth in his head that, "them there wheels are awful hard to balance, I never heard of them Borbet rims, looky here it got self centering lug nuts", I had to look at wtf they were doing.

Not only did they have weights clipped on both sides of the rims, lots of them, they had lost one of the rings. I wasted an entire day, had to get rings sent from Tire Rack because they had no idea where to obtain such a rare commodity AND spend another Saturday with these mensa turds and drive 70 miles a day on a ****ed up bouncing tire for a week. AaAAAAAarrRRRRgggGGGHhhHHH!!!!!

After this week of torture they said, "Don't forget to come back for your "free" rotation and balance every 5,000 miles."

Gun please.

I thought I must be dead, the maggots are everywhere!!!

Yes, you DO need rings.

632 Regal
07-05-2006, 09:50 PM
sounds similar to Discount Tire.
I have the same wheels, you DO need the rings.

I found out when I got new tires last year. I went to a Tires Plus store because they had Hunter Roadforce balancing and I am VERY picky about tire balance.

I started by asking the manager to mind the rings and use stick on weights same as what were on there, I guess my request went over his head and/or offended his professional sensibilities, I was completely ignored.

When I returned the 5th time after rebalancing and being told by the fellow with 3 teeth in his head that, "them there wheels are awful hard to balance, I never heard of them Borbet rims, looky here it got self centering lug nuts", I had to look at wtf they were doing.

Not only did they have weights clipped on both sides of the rims, lots of them, they had lost one of the rings. I wasted an entire day, had to get rings sent from Tire Rack because they had no idea where to obtain such a rare commodity AND spend another Saturday with these mensa turds and drive 70 miles a day on a ****ed up bouncing tire for a week. AaAAAAAarrRRRRgggGGGHhhHHH!!!!!

After this week of torture they said, "Don't forget to come back for your "free" rotation and balance every 5,000 miles."

Gun please.

I thought I must be dead, the maggots are everywhere!!!

Yes, you DO need rings.

Mendozart
07-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Time to find a new tire shop. Even though they have the Hunter, you need to find a shop with competent workers. I've got two places, one by my work and one by my house. I know and talk to the workers, and both places don't mind if I watch them work.

KenB
07-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Time to find a new tire shop. Even though they have the Hunter, you need to find a shop with competent workers. I've got two places, one by my work and one by my house. I know and talk to the workers, and both places don't mind if I watch them work.

I don't really blame the dolt in the shop, his manager should have conveyed my request and made him aware of the rings. The manager evidently thought I didn't know what I was talking about and ignored my request. The Peter Principle hard at work there...

I did NOT go back again for more abuse, or free rotations and balancing, after the rings were put on the tires were balanced perfectly. I've switched them front to back twice and they have very even wear and still no need to re-balance after 30k miles.

Need to find a place for the next set, it won't be Tires Plus.

Jehu
07-06-2006, 12:13 AM
When i bought mine it didn't have the hubcentrics and the car would shake bad between 45 and 65ish then quiet some but not completely. I bought 4 aluminium hubcentric rings of the size recommended by the wheel manufacturer for my car and after they were put in place the savage shake was completely gone and hasn't returned in nearly a thousand miles so far.From what i've heard they make them in polycarbonate, steel and aluminum. The plastic ones squish and soon become ineffective and the steel will react with the aluminum in the wheel and corrode. They were $40.00 from the wheel exchange. make sure you get the correct size for your wheels. Contact Borbet unless the dealer tells you he's 100% certain of what you require.

guinness
07-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks all
Jim

guinness
07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
I ordered the aluminum rings from tirerack, they were only $3.00 each. They should be here by Tues. Thanks for all the advice.
Jim