PDA

View Full Version : Man, it's hot

530iBall
07-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I have a '95 530i with stock R-134a AC. This is my 4th Summer and when I went to crank up the AC for relief, I was rewarded with a blast of warm air. The compressor runs which I imagined meant that I had some refridgerent otherwise the cut-off switch would have disabled the clutch so I bought a recharge kit hoping for a quick fix. Step one was to measure the pressure on the low side which indicated 80 psi which, according to the guide on the kit means, game over - go to a mechanic. Searching past articles on the board it seems that AC repair is mondo expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ThoreauHD
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Buy the part yourself with a BMW CCA discount and then bend over and kiss your .. . Ehh, well, then you get to pay for labor. Tearing apart your entire dashboard/firewall. It's exciting. The mechanic will love it.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-05-2006, 05:57 PM
when you tested the low side?

Did you also check the high side?

530iBall
07-05-2006, 06:54 PM
when you tested the low side?

Did you also check the high side?
I had purchased a kit which only had a low side attachment. But yes, I followed the directions: The A/C was on, the fan was on full, I checked the pressure after running with the gauge connected after 3 minutes or so.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-05-2006, 07:06 PM
have someone test the high side, then you can tell which is failing.

Expansion valve or compressor