PDA

View Full Version : Air Flow Meter

SilverFive90
07-05-2006, 03:10 PM
'90 525i (M20)

As some of you know, I've been dealing with a "stuttering" "check engine" problem for some time....I recently had a major tune up...and also the O2 sensor replaced, and the car definitely runs better, but every now and then, especially in traffic, I still get the hesitant stutter and sometimes with the A/C on. I'm wondering if it's ok to purchase a used Air Flow Meter.....I see one on ebay for $40 and that's a steal comapared to the $300 (plus) that Bavauto and BMA parts wants....

Has anyone had to replace this item, did it correct your issue? Advice please.

Thanks

Jeff N.
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Cheaper yet is to make a friend with someone with a 525 and swap theirs onto your car. Shouldn't take but a few minutes and it will quickly help you figure out if you need one.

guinness
07-05-2006, 08:28 PM
I had the same thing happen when I first got my car. I was driving home doing around 70 MPH and the car just died, check engine light came on and then the engine came back to life. This happened several times on the drive home, so I took it straight to the shop and after looking at the car they changed the Air flow meter and I haven't had a problem since.

SilverFive90
07-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, cuz all my friends have bimmers!....just joshin'...there is a guy who looks like he stores them in his front yard, I haven't worked up the nerve to just knock on his door and ask him whats up??? This weekend I will....

SilverFive90
07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the info.....I may check out the one on ebay for $40