PDA

View Full Version : Clutch diagnosis help

dbals
07-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Need a little help in determining what is exactly wrong with my clutch. It is doing two different things.
1. Shakes a little during slow take offs. I think this is becasue its got oil on the pressure plate and its not clamping cleanly.
2. Lets say your going 40 mph and I am in too high of a gear like....3rd. If I give it throttle it will slip, I can actually here it spinning inside the trans. But, I can down shift into 2nd and hammer it and it wont slip at all. This is whats got me a little confused.
Ive got a 95 540 by the way. Its like its having problems locking up initially, but once its locked it doesnt have any problems. I need to take a closer look under the car. I guess its possible that the engine has a rear main seal leak causing oil to get into the trans.....could be a possibility.
Anyway, any ideas you guys could give me would be helpful before I pull it all apart.
Thanks for the help.

gale
07-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Sounds like you need to pull the trans. I would automatically buy a new pressure plate, disk, throwout bearing, rear main seal, guibo, throw-out fork pivot ball, master & slave cyl's & do the works. Maybe freshen the shift linkage consumables while it's out. I don't think this one is going to heal by itself.