PDA

View Full Version : AC Button Broken?

pwalk100
07-05-2006, 11:37 AM
My AC stopped working, but so did the AC button (I think the AC stopped blowing cold, and then a fwe days later, the AC button would not longer turn on, but I'm not sure). Anyway, the recirc button also does not turn on. I checked all of the fuses and everything looks good. So the questions is:

Does anyone know how the AC and Recirc buttons work? If the compresor clutch won't engage, will the buttons not turn on? (That seems crazy, but it seems like a strange coincidence). Any info would be helpful. Thanks,

-Phil
93 525iT

BillionPa
07-05-2006, 11:40 AM
its probably the control unit.

my button would turn on even when there was no compressor or AC components in the car.

Qube
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Can to describe "button won't turn on"? You mean it won't depress... or it doesn't illuminate... etc?

Montreal525
07-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Had the same problem 2 weeks ago. Called it the the haunted a/c switch. I took out half the dash to find out what was wrong. I guess fooling around with it made it right because it started working again for no reason... I guess in my case it was a connection or a ground or something like that.

Jeff

Qsilver7
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
My AC stopped working, but so did the AC button (I think the AC stopped blowing cold, and then a fwe days later, the AC button would not longer turn on, but I'm not sure). Anyway, the recirc button also does not turn on. I checked all of the fuses and everything looks good. So the questions is:

Does anyone know how the AC and Recirc buttons work? If the compresor clutch won't engage, will the buttons not turn on? (That seems crazy, but it seems like a strange coincidence). Any info would be helpful. Thanks,

-Phil
93 525iT
if the air temp gradually ceased to cool and now only blows warm...then the AC compressor stopped working ...sounds to me like you are either low on refrigerent or it's completely escaped (r134a). The AC compressor won't kick on if the refrigerant is too low or gone.

pwalk100
07-06-2006, 10:20 AM
One day the AC was no longer cool. I'm not sure if it was the exact same time, or a couple of weeks later (this was a few months ago). Somehow I remember that the light on the buttons worked for a few days after the AC died, but I'm not sure. Currently I have no cool air and the AC light and the recirc light do not come on.

If it is the control module, how do I go about fixing it/addressing it. What the heck is the control module, and where is it.

Any help is appreciated...thanks.

-Phil

if the air temp gradually ceased to cool and now only blows warm...then the AC compressor stopped working ...sounds to me like you are either low on refrigerent or it's completely escaped (r134a). The AC compressor won't kick on if the refrigerant is too low or gone.

BillionPa
07-06-2006, 11:24 PM
its behind the dash on the glovebox side, on the floor against the firewall, you need to remove the center console/glovebox and a side panel to get at it.

my control unit was so bad, some of the connecting copper pins had oxidized into dust and didnt exist anymore!

pwalk100
07-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Where would I get a new controller...and what is the $$$. Anyone know?

its behind the dash on the glovebox side, on the floor against the firewall, you need to remove the center console/glovebox and a side panel to get at it.

my control unit was so bad, some of the connecting copper pins had oxidized into dust and didnt exist anymore!