PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak...?

Axleuk
07-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi Folks,

This morning when i got to work there was steam escaping from under the bonnet.
I took the car home and remember there was a small amount of water leaking from under the car but did not know where.
Upon closer inspection i noticed that there was steam leaking from this bit (see pic)

First of all, what is this bit called ? What does it do and how much are they to replace.

Also, will i be able to take it off safely to perhaps take it down the local scrappy to see if they can pull one out of some other scrapped bimmer ?

Many thanks for any help.

Car: M Reg BMW 518i with LPG conversion

Ausmpower
07-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Um It's plastic so don't buy a second hand one as it will probably shatter when you reinstall it.

M43 engine?

As it appears to to be......

It is the water connector on the rear of the head (Part# 11531739208)

Not sure of the price in your region as I'm in Australia.

Espen
07-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Welcome to the board, you might want to fill out your profile so that we easier can answer your questions.

First pull out the hoses examine them closely, no faults? Ok tighten the clamps. And check again for leaks. If it still leaks unscrew the water connector and replace the gasket..

Ausmpower
07-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the board, you might want to fill out your profile so that we easier can answer your questions.

First pull out the hoses examine them closely, no faults? Ok tighten the clamps. And check again for leaks. If it still leaks unscrew the water connector and replace the gasket..

It's an o-ring......

Axleuk
07-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice, i went to the local BMW dealer and purchased a replacement Water Connector as the old one had seen better days.

All was well for about 10 mins then it started to over heat again, any ideas what i should be looking for ? There does seem to be a small leak under the water expansion tank, could this be the cause and how easily can it be removed for inspection ?

Thanks

wingman
07-06-2006, 04:07 PM
A 518i on gas. What does it go like? Welcome by the way:)

Axleuk
07-06-2006, 04:42 PM
It runs great in Gas, of course there is a little loss of power, but the fuel economy makes it worthwhile :)