PDA

View Full Version : Black Death or AC Compressor Failure

mjfeeney4
07-05-2006, 06:17 AM
At 160 Kmi the AC compressor on my 1995 525 developed a noise (when the AC is activated), and now the compressor will seize as the engine RPM is increased (the compressor stops rotating and the belt slips). I hope that the compressor has not been damaged to the point of "Black Death" http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=black%20death

Planning to replace the compressor/clutch and the accumulator/drier. The coolent appears to be r134, so other than having an AC shop recover the Freon, and replacing all Orings. I wonder if there are other suggestions from board members.

Some questions:

1. Do the replacement compressors come with the compressor oil or does it need to be ordered separately?

2. Is it necessary to put some refrigerant oil in the accumulator/drier before evacauting and recharging the system.

Ausmpower
07-05-2006, 10:41 AM
What the condition of the belt? how's the tension?

Jon K
07-05-2006, 10:52 AM
If you need a new AC compressor, or another one rather, I have one. I think its the older ac gas unit, but maybe you can use it.

mjfeeney4
07-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the advice. Turns out that the belt tensioner is not maintaining sufficient tension and the belt was slipping. The belt appears to be in good shape but I'll most likely replace the tensioner and belt.