PDA

View Full Version : SAD NEWS, FROM ED: Forum's future

BigD
04-01-2004, 03:08 AM
I was just chatting with Ed and it doesn't look good for the forum's future. He will make the official announcement later today, but basically as much as he loves it, his new business venture is so time consuming that maintaining this site has become unrealistic. And he just plain doesn't like some of the people on here. I have to agree with him on both counts.

Marshy
04-01-2004, 03:26 AM
Maintaining the whole site has become too time-consuming, or maintaining the forums?

As for not liking people, that's part and parcel of the game when forums get popular. :(

Don (Ireland)
04-01-2004, 03:34 AM
This site is of huge value to a great many people and we can only be grateful for the time it has been in existence. I think we all underestimate and, to a degree, take for granted, the fantastic work the Ed and others have put into this forum. If the sites days are numbered then I would just like to thank Ed for everything he has done for the E34 community, I personnaly have learned a great deal along the way which has served to elevate my appreciation of these great cars and the many good folk who own them. If this is the end of the road feel no guilt or regret Ed, your work will be remembered for a long time among the masses that have enjoyed and valued your contribution to E34 ownership. I hope the work goes well and that the future holds nothing but success.

Don
95 520iA

632 Regal
04-01-2004, 03:36 AM
It can't go away!! here I am at 3:20 in the morning surfing around, it must have something worth keeping it going.

Here we go as I mentioned as the change was taking place, it will probably be registration only to post with a membership charge.

This sucks.

I do not like ANY of the other sites Ed is bored with it, what if it just goes back to the old format that was a lot easier for him?

Ed you hear me?

dammit.

:( :( :(

BigD
04-01-2004, 03:41 AM
Dude, I was hoping of all people you'd get it. Check your calendar.

It can't go away!! here I am at 3:20 in the morning surfing around, it must have something worth keeping it going.

Here we go as I mentioned as the change was taking place, it will probably be registration only to post with a membership charge.

This sucks.

I do not like ANY of the other sites Ed is bored with it, what if it just goes back to the old format that was a lot easier for him?

Ed you hear me?

dammit.

:( :( :(

Paul in NZ
04-01-2004, 04:43 AM
you had me going.......

TimGinCentralNJ
04-01-2004, 07:15 AM
...and to think that my company is s'posed to be announcing our bonuses today. I hope this is no indication of how that will turn out. Yikes!

Cheers,
Tim G.

you had me going.......

Trevor
04-01-2004, 07:18 AM
WOW!
A little over a year ago I was looking for some help on a TRANS PROGRAM problem.
The great people here on the (previous inacarnation of) the "board" were extremely helpful and supportive.
Over the last year there has been wealth of information.
A few of us were sad when the original forum died to make way for the new improved version. I hope that the new improved wasn't the cause for ED's apparent need to exit stage left.
During my 4 months of being out of work, I found solace in the board and the great people who live here. Who can forget Mr Bill, and our own down under Agent 86.5 "Quentin". Heck, even good old SKULLFRACTURE aka CHRIS 540 provided a bit of entertainment.
Not a week would go past without a "NEWBIE" coming on asking the questions many of us asked as new E34 owners. We love these cars and some love to hate these cars.
It will be a sad day if our founder and sponsor "ED" does indeed have to shuffle off this ether coil for things more mortal. Brings to mind another famous ED who many of us int he older gen saluted off a decade or three ago.
It's been mighty fine ED.
You built a beautiful community that spans the globe and brings like minded people together.
In the words of "The Kieffer"
GRACE AND PEACE

AllanS
04-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Holy crap, I didn't even know it was April yet. I completely fell into that hole- ouch.

scott540
04-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Dammit, you scared the crap outta me. I'm just starting to try to do little work on my car myself and then I read that. My stomach flippped. That was good.

ryan roopnarine
04-01-2004, 08:21 AM
isn't a mc donalds, but if it was, i could tell everyone to Mc Simmah Dawn Nah and check your calendar.

Marshy
04-01-2004, 10:04 AM
D'oh. In my defence, I'd been up all night with an ear infection that was doing a good impression of a screwdriver rammed in my ear. My sense of humour was missing in action this morning...

TheGeak
04-01-2004, 10:24 AM
you bastard! good one though, had me going for a second

shragon
04-01-2004, 12:23 PM
lol

BigD
04-01-2004, 02:13 PM
I can't take the credit. I almost got had by the same thing on another forum (and so did most everyone else). But kinda cool how it makes you realize just how much you like and need this place!

DaCan23
04-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Shoulda gave it away... LOL Funny comment...

mrbmw1
04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
I can't believe all of you fell for this It's April fools day

warton
04-01-2004, 03:06 PM
... and don't you dare tell me I'm one of the people you don't like. ;-)

Regards,
Peter

micjordan
04-01-2004, 03:07 PM
i am willing to continue hosting and maintaining it on my server, whats ed's email?

micjordan
04-01-2004, 03:09 PM
i am willing to continue hosting and maintaining it on my server, whats ed's email?

BennyM
04-01-2004, 06:20 PM
you bastard! good one though, had me going for a second

Javier
04-01-2004, 07:58 PM
OK guys, can somebody tell me what is going on, the only thing in my calendar is dad's birthday. Is it something like Inocents day (28Dec) when everybody play jokes to everybody else? I will not just let the forum go away!

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 09:40 PM
revival...

angrypancake
04-02-2006, 09:44 PM
holy old threads batman

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 09:50 PM
LMAO, remembered aprils fools jokes and thought of Big D. He had a few of us going.

holy old threads batman

95-540iLE
04-02-2006, 10:00 PM
April 1 is 'April fools day'. Sounds a bit like your Innocents Day as, yes, it is a day for playing practical jokes and tricks on people.

Have been some monumental jokes done over the years.

Cheers

OK guys, can somebody tell me what is going on, the only thing in my calendar is dad's birthday. Is it something like Inocents day (28Dec) when everybody play jokes to everybody else? I will not just let the forum go away!

angrypancake
04-02-2006, 10:01 PM
when i was 14...well, 15th birthday, i brought my this girl over for dinner, halfway through, stopped, held her hand, got all quiet and ****, then was like.... mom, dad, she's pregnant... that got em good.

Gayle
04-02-2006, 10:16 PM
I fell for it and was in a panic. Glad it was a joke.

However, is there a disaster recovery plan for this place? Ed--do you will that leaves the board so someone if you get killed taking a customer for a test drive? What if you really do get fed up with our bs? Would you let someone else take it over? The death of this board would mean the death of the e34 as a viable classic car that could also be driven as a daily car. Can't let that happen.

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 10:27 PM
my first reply to any of your posts as of late, according to Sal... "dead is dead"

Gayle
04-02-2006, 10:33 PM
really dead in fact

632 Regal
04-02-2006, 10:37 PM
in fact, dead, really.

Sweetwater
04-02-2006, 11:36 PM
April 1 is 'April fools day'. Sounds a bit like your Innocents Day as, yes, it is a day for playing practical jokes and tricks on people.

Have been some monumental jokes done over the years.

Cheers

So, I got it twice..........

but it took till today to get them both.....

My 17 yo rubber banded and aimed the sink sprayer so that when I turned on the water.............yea, you got the idea.........

and then this BS a day later.......

WTF..........I'm not a big poster......I'm not a big poser.........I'm just big, that's all..........

Good thing this forum is here............

:D

Zeuk in Oz
04-03-2006, 12:05 AM
I was just chatting with Ed and it doesn't look good for the forum's future. He will make the official announcement later today, but basically as much as he loves it, his new business venture is so time consuming that maintaining this site has become unrealistic. And he just plain doesn't like some of the people on here. I have to agree with him on both counts.
Thanks Jeff for resurrecting this thread - I didn't look at the date (or year) - You certainly got me !

Really made me realise how much I would miss it and I must say Gayle is right, it is probably the main forum internationally keeping these beautiful cars going as reliable daily transport.

Another opportunity to thank Ed for hosting it ! :)

Gayle
04-03-2006, 05:18 AM
in fact, dead, really.

Well, if it is dead, then why are we talking about it? I wasn't talking about it.

I was talking about computer disaster recovery and how professionals typically have a game plan for what do to with the tools of their trade and their records when they no longer want to provide a service for whatever reason.

I thought your post was out of left field. I am all in favor of letting the dead stay dead. So lets not talk about whatever it is we are talking about and just move on.

Alpinewhite
04-03-2006, 05:40 AM
You had me for a moment; nah, more than that; I dont want to lie. I was thinking what the heck I would do with out this forum?!

This is the greatest forum I have ever participated.

Thanks
Arun

Hector
04-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you pull a similar stunt like this about this time last year? Good one...

632 Regal
04-03-2006, 09:46 AM
no, the only one i ever saw was this one
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you pull a similar stunt like this about this time last year? Good one...