PDA

View Full Version : CONTAINER behind rear headlight, nessescary?

Espen
07-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Well i was removing my turnlights and managed to break the small tubes were the hoses connect to the cannister. So i removed the cannister wich was pretty rusty.
Do i need this? Will this decrease performance and or fuel consumption?

looks alot like this one:
http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/g/o/4.png

Ausmpower
07-04-2006, 07:26 AM
That's the charcoal cannister. plug the lines up and all will be well.

joshua43214
07-04-2006, 07:28 AM
That is the charcoal canister.

If it was rusted, it probably needed to be replaced anyway. the car will start better with it installed and properly operating, it would be a good idea to verify the valve(#1) is working as well. The DME will be expecting it to be in working under certain circumstances, so it does affect performance if its not installed, but not to a huge amount. Most people that fix the system so it operates properly are happier with it working than not.

If you delete it, do not cap off the line to the tank. Put a mini air filter or a something on it.

Espen
07-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Is there a good way to check that the valve works?

genphreak
07-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Is there a good way to check that the valve works?Yep, take it off, supply 12V on and off, blowing through it. see if it seals okay. Buy a new canister btw, many a wise sage around here say (not just Joshua) it can cause trouble if you remove it. :) nick

Espen
07-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Ok, ill by a new one and check the valve!

Thanks!

Rory525
07-04-2006, 10:07 AM
What does it actually do though ? What is its purpose ?

winfred
07-04-2006, 10:19 AM
it stores the vapors from the fuel tank till you start the car when they are released into the intake

What does it actually do though ? What is its purpose ?

Espen
07-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Well at BMW the price was just to high for me..
If i decide to just leave the hoses unconnected, should i plug them with something? So that the car wont draw false air?

joshua43214
07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
If i decide to just leave the hoses unconnected, should i plug them with something? So that the car wont draw false air?

plug the hose to the throttle body. if you plug the hose to the fuel tank, the tank will not be able to breath. a small air filter would be best.

try sourcing it online, they don't cost much if I remember right.

genphreak
07-05-2006, 09:10 AM
If i decide to just leave the hoses unconnected, should i plug them with something? So that the car wont draw false air?Dude www.bmaparts.com would have you covered for something like $40. Buy an air+fuel filter and you get free shipping in the US :) Nick

Espen
07-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Dude www.bmaparts.com would have you covered for something like $40. Buy an air+fuel filter and you get free shipping in the US :) Nick

I live in Norway in Europe, free shipping in US doesnt really matter :)

I`ve ordered it at my dealer today anyway.. Adding a small airfilter on a 5mm hose is not a job for me.. how do you do that?

Jon K
07-05-2006, 09:24 AM
A brass fitting would have done - put the 5mm hose into the brass fitting and the mini K&N over the big end of fitting.

genphreak
07-05-2006, 09:30 AM
I live in Norway in Europe, free shipping in US doesnt really matter :)

I`ve ordered it at my dealer today anyway.. Adding a small airfilter on a 5mm hose is not a job for me.. how do you do that?Ow! Sorry Espen, I didn't check ur profile, sorry- am lazy.

In Oz they cost up to $150 at a dealer, how much are they there? The air filter thingie can be done, it is just a mini filter that can go over a 5mm pipe to stop the ingress of dirt when it is drawing air. It's a kinda 'hack job' but would work, at least mostly. You'll be happier with your new canister, and won't have to put up with us ol farts nagging you. Greetings from the side of the world! :) Nick