PDA

View Full Version : M50 Clutch problems

Rory525
07-04-2006, 05:57 AM
Hi Folks,

It looks like I need a new clutch ... its started to whistle , the noise goes away when I push the clutch in. Think its the thrust bearing ... asked the mechanics in the garage I use and they reckon it wont last. Its getting louder fast so Im trying not to use the car too much.

Has anybody else here had the same symtoms?

Sooooo Im looking around at clutch prices now, theres 2 listed on car parts supplier for the 525i M50, can anybody tell me why the price difference from the same manufactuer ?

SACHS/LUK n/a 641110110 CLUTCH KIT M50 M51 M52 E34 525I 525TDS E36 323I 325I
£98.00

SACHS/LUK n/a 641110170 CLUTCH KIT M50 525i/325i E34/36
£74.27

Those are from Euro car parts for anybody in the uk

Thanks
Rory

Morgenster
07-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I suspect the first of the two to be sturdier since it's also good for a diesel and the M52 which has more power.

Rory525
07-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Ive found out now the cheaper one is a recon... so Im buying the new one.

Hope the install goes smoothly ! Not doing it myself but I always worry when its in a garage lol

tgrandahl
07-04-2006, 02:49 PM
at 133k it might just be the transmission i just finished replacing mine last night because of the whining noise. The car was making the noise when i got it and that was around 120k im over 170k now and it was really really bad. I changed out my clutch flywheel and bearing last fall and it didnt make any diffrence altho i needed the clutch anyway. You might want to try changing fluids as i found mine was very very scary low, and this also acts as noise dampening.

However you have to consider that changing your clutch or anything in that area means a lot of work and a lot of money if your not doing it. So if your going to get a new transmission / clutch do it at the same time and save big $$ or time. By 160k mine was giving me trouble trying to sync but it did started to sound a lot like a m3 gtr.

Im not sure if there is a way to tell if it is the transmission or the bearing but i would say change your fluid anyways.

~Tyler

Rory525
07-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Thats a good point - Im pretty sure its the clutch from the noise its making, at least I really hope so !

I will ask them to change the gearbox oil while they are there. How many liters of gearbox oil will I need ?

joshua43214
07-04-2006, 05:37 PM
if very lightly depressing the pedal makes the noise go away or start, its almost for sure the release bearing. if the noise goes away or starts only when fully depressed or when releasing it under load, it could also be a transmission internal problem. if the noise only apears or goes away while releasing it under load, its a higher possibility of an internal problem. normaly it is the release bearing that is noisey.