PDA

View Full Version : O-ring sets for A/C system?

Rob Edwards
04-01-2004, 01:35 AM
I am planning a major re-do of my A/C system (compressor/condensor/evaporator/receiver-drier/expansion valve) and am wondering whether anyone's ever found a source of o-ring kits that would work, in lieu of having to go through the ETK and order up the right number of all the different sized ones that I'll need. Any insights? This is for my '95 525iT which is running like a champ except for the A/C. Thanks!

Elekta
04-01-2004, 09:30 AM
dont' know about where to get the sets, but the wifey's 92 535 freon just leaked out after a spring re-fill, and expansion valve replacement.

Turns out indy didn't get all of an old o-ring removed, and the new o-ring didn't seat properly. It was a no charge re-fill on his part, but thought that you might not want to experience that same issue as you probably dont' have a 10 gallon can of the juice laying around to cya.

good luck

let's see your touring. looking forward to replacing my front clip next week, and going to get the back hatch repainted, some scratches sanded out, and chips and dinks touched up...then the full on Mcguires...for about $4 fitty

If only I had some T-stars

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/DSCN0654.jpg

Bill R.
04-01-2004, 09:33 AM
134a from costco for 24 bucks and he's good to go for a couple of years...

dont' know about where to get the sets, but the wifey's 92 535 freon just leaked out after a spring re-fill, and expansion valve replacement.

Turns out indy didn't get all of an old o-ring removed, and the new o-ring didn't seat properly. It was a no charge re-fill on his part, but thought that you might not want to experience that same issue as you probably dont' have a 10 gallon can of the juice laying around to cya.

good luck

Elekta
04-01-2004, 09:40 AM
134a from costco for 24 bucks and he's good to go for a couple of years...
Why am I thinking freon costs a fortune? I thought each can (looking like a small can of dust off) cost about $40 bucks ea, and a full charge is 4-5 cans?

Bill R.
04-01-2004, 09:43 AM
it lists the quantity required for each... Here's the screens.. Also if you click on just one of these parts in the etk and the click on kit on the right side of the page it will bring up the install kit part numbers... You may want to check with the dealer to see if these install kits contain all the orings.
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Orings1.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/orings2.jpg

I am planning a major re-do of my A/C system (compressor/condensor/evaporator/receiver-drier/expansion valve) and am wondering whether anyone's ever found a source of o-ring kits that would work, in lieu of having to go through the ETK and order up the right number of all the different sized ones that I'll need. Any insights? This is for my '95 525iT which is running like a champ except for the A/C. Thanks!

winfred
04-01-2004, 10:34 AM
r134a cheep, r12 fuggen expensive

Why am I thinking freon costs a fortune? I thought each can (looking like a small can of dust off) cost about $40 bucks ea, and a full charge is 4-5 cans?

AZ_Jason_S
04-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah, you are thinking of R12 not R134a. Production of R12 is now illegal in the US. R134a is the replacenent refrigerant. I think older e34's use R12, I know my 94 is R134a...

Rob Edwards
04-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Bill-

Your point was well taken, I was just being a tad lazy. I called in an order to Patrick and he said that he would just go ahead and add to the order all the o-rings that I would need. Very nice of him!

Oh, and a radiator/fan clutch/condensor/evaporator/expansion valve/compressor with clutch/receiver-drier/belts/o-rings/ and a pair of windshield wiper blades? About $1200. Man, I love BMA.

-Rob.