PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who paid the taxes on my new car?!?!

DanDombrowski
07-03-2006, 07:52 PM
I got a call from the bank today, and they said the title for my new 01 330 coupe came in from the other bank, now that the loan had been paid off. Time to get the other person to sign it over to me and pay the sales tax and get the title in my name, right?

Nope. Apparently the title is already in my name. Someone has done the title work, and apparently paid the sales tax as well. Do I stick my head in the sand and say "thanks!", or is it my obligation to go through tax collector beaurocratic hell and find out if my taxes have really been paid by the masked avenger?

Mitch90535im
07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Are you purchasing from a dealer, or from an individual? Not sure how it is where you're at, but here in GA (USA) automobile transactions between individuals are not subject to sales tax. What are you looking at that indicates sales tax has been paid?

Macv
07-03-2006, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't do anything, but I'm stupid and would probably get in trouble.

guinness
07-03-2006, 08:51 PM
give a couple of $$ to a good charity and forget about it.

632 Regal
07-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Jennifer Granholm paid them.

SharkmanBMW
07-03-2006, 10:12 PM
I paid off the balance of my lease and had to pay tax, no way around it!
If you want, send me half - it may make you feel better!

BTW, in Canada, if the car is less than 10 years old, it is still taxable EVERY time it is sold privately. All e34's are now free and clear, but when I bought my 540 in '03, I paid $1500 tax on it.

DanDombrowski
07-03-2006, 11:50 PM
I bought the car from a private individual. Usually, when you do that, they sign the title over to you. Then, you take that title to the tax collector, pay the sales tax, and they issue you a new title in your name.

I already promised the GF that if I get away without paying anything extra, its going in the fund for that special rock she's been hoping for...

fujioko
07-04-2006, 06:31 AM
That's right. Michigan property taxes are used to pay for "gifts" for other people. They certanly wouldent use the funds to pave the roads.

ryan roopnarine
07-04-2006, 07:18 AM
i've grown tired of stuff (like your situation) happening, and then having it come back to bite me in the @ss later. i don't stop asking people about it until i get an official letter, or get somebody admit it to me in open court. i like free money too, but it's only free until somebody decides to suspend your insurance and then license over it.

Robin-535im
07-04-2006, 09:04 AM
I already promised the GF that if I get away without paying anything extra, its going in the fund for that special rock she's been hoping for...

You're getting her a pet rock?

Evan
07-04-2006, 03:39 PM
The pet rock is still popular after 40 years... and a sucker is still born every 1.132462 minutes