PDA

View Full Version : M30 Oil Filter Housing Relocation -- anybody done it?

Kalevera
07-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Looking at options for the filter housing on my turbo block. As many of you know, the M102/106 uses the earlier style (bottom down) filter housing and different engine mounts versus the late B34 found in E32/34 cars. Moreover, the flange is physically different between the two blocks.

Carl Nelson says I should use the original filter housing, which makes sense and is easy because it already incorporates a turbo oil feed and appropriate tubing around the front timing cover, as well as the oil cooler fittings. Also no potential check valve problems.

But, from what I can tell, it makes fabbing the engine mount a bit more difficult. We already manufacture and sell motor mount adaptor plates to fit late M30/S38 motors into E23/24/28 cars -- as with this case, the bosses for the motor mount simply aren't there -- but it looks like I can't use a plate if I keep the stock filter housing.

Now I'm thinking about relocating the filter housing. I know Bruno has a kit -- anyone use/d it or know if it's still available? Other alternatives?

best, whit

s_ribbens
02-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread...

I e-mailed Bruno earlier this past week about that kit. I haven't heard back from him on it. Looked like Racing King made it for him so I'll try to contact them this week. Looks like my check valve is done so I'm looking through this option before I dump way too much into a factory housing replacement.

Kalevera
02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Bruno IS Racing King, mate. And he didn't get back to me, either. Good business practice.

I am using the stock M106 filter housing. I do have an extra late M30 upright filter assembly if you're looking for one, and I *probably* have an upright filter housing + oil cooler line taps from a euro S38B38.

s_ribbens
02-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Doh! Shoulda known that. Have you found any other options for the E34? I've only found one for the E28. Not too sure what would be different about the two since both are the M30 block.

genphreak
02-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I've asked Bruno about this- he was hella busy. His response was that the oil-filter housing plates were NLA. That's a royal PITA if you ask me. Can anyone get these billet alloy plates made up for a group buy?

If someone could get me one, I'd arrange it... :) Nick

s_ribbens
02-06-2007, 07:36 AM
That's really too bad. Let me do some research when I get to work today. If I can make it happen then you can help me gather a group. :) No promises, but I'll check into the feasibility of it all.

genphreak
02-06-2007, 08:00 AM
That's really too bad. Let me do some research when I get to work today. If I can make it happen then you can help me gather a group. :) No promises, but I'll check into the feasibility of it all.Hey good luck... Brunos were a piece of billet aluminium made to the same size as the oil canister... the plumbing on the engine side needs to be understood as there are more than a few 'holes' on the other side. I'm not precisely sure what they all do... but it wouldn't be hard to work out. Good luck :) Nick

s_ribbens
02-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Yup, it's going to be difficult... and why I'm not at all certain that it'll go anywhere. We'll see!