PDA

View Full Version : Seat removal on E34 for battery replacement

TravisR
07-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Can anyone tell me how to remove the back seat in a 1995 540i? The owner's manual only notes the fold down seats- it doesn't mention anything about the seats I have (that don't fold down).

ghost_ryder35
07-02-2006, 02:18 PM
pretty sure it kinda pops out

HDhandyman
07-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Can anyone tell me how to remove the back seat in a 1995 540i? The owner's manual only notes the fold down seats- it doesn't mention anything about the seats I have (that don't fold down).
Just grab the part your butt sits on (from the front--closest to your knees), and lift up. You should feel two clips pop out....when you replace, make sure that you put the back in first and probably have to put some weight on it until you feel both clips punch back down. It's a little scary the first time, but nothing's gonna break.---Just pull!

ghost_ryder35
07-02-2006, 02:22 PM
http://www.bmw-540i.com/1995-540i-seats/rear-seat-removal.php
that will show you step by step

Yiorgos
07-02-2006, 08:34 PM
I just sit on each seat in the back (don't worry about the middle) and run my finger underneath where the cushion meets the carpet -- there will be a bit of a gap. Then I lean forward with my finger in the gap and give it a really sharp tug. You won't be able to break the seat, so don't worry. Do it on the other side, and then you can just slide the cushion out and do what you need.

Putting the seat back (after cleaning out all the coins that have fallen through :P) requires a little extra effort, at least on my car. Make sure the centre lap sash belt is not in the battery cavity, I like to just chuck it into the centre rear armrest console and then fold the armrest up. Watch the seat belt clickers on each side, there would be folded grooves on the cushion from years of the clicker plastic pressing against it. Then when the seat is positioned, look underneath the cushion and make sure the cushion clips are situated over the slots beneath the carpet, bang them in or sit on the seat and it should clip in.