PDA

View Full Version : OK, I've decided on coil-overs...

ILoveMPower
07-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I've been wanting to do suspension for the longest time, but of course there's the obstacle of $$$. I've finally decided however, that I need to stop ****ing around and go with coil-overs.

As far as I know, Ground Control makes the only coilovers for E34's (please correct me if I'm wrong). I've heard there has been problems due to design flaw with these, curious if anyone has any experience?

Also, what else should I look to get? (camber kit, etc.) I don't want a hackjob thats going to be chewing up my pilot sports.

Any input: Experience, personal opinion, pricing, problems, etc. is MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks, as always,
- Jeremy

fkong777
07-02-2006, 02:56 PM
FK automotive also makes coilovers for the E34.
KW suspensions use to make coilovers for the e34 but recent catalog and website application list have omitted e34's

I'm not even sure if GC make the sleeves anymore.. Some of the members here have posted that they need to weld the sleeves to the strut body to stop it from making noise..

liquidtiger720
07-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Do you even have a source for the Ground Controls?

They've been out of production for quite awhile.

Jon K
07-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Good choice on choosing coil overs.. now you need to find someone to manufacture and sell you some for under $3,000

Toomas
07-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Eeeer e34's came with coil-overs from the factory.
Coil means its a coil spring as opposed to leaf spring.
Over means the shock goes through it as opposed to sitting next to it.

Jon K
07-03-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks for stating the obvious - the term "coil over" is in regard to an aftermarket or factory type of suspension whereas the adjustability of the spring rate is via the coil over the threading on the strut - they usually have a primary and helper spring. The adjusting of the spring position "over" the strut has direct effect on both spring rate and ride height.

BillionPa
07-03-2006, 02:47 AM
what would be really nice (and really $$$$) is a heavy duty fully adjustable suspension...

front and rear camber adjustment plates and bushing kit (dinan makes the rear kit), GC (or whatever is out there now) coilovers with koni shocks, whiteline front and rear swaybars, E31 lower control arms and RRT upper control arms, urethane filled subframe mounts, and silicon nitride wheel bearings.

as well as any supporting mods, like all new bolts and nuts for installation, and new steering linkage components.

Jon K
07-03-2006, 08:15 AM
The spring rate is NOT adjustable in coil over suspension. The only thing adjustable is ride height, and maybe damping rate if the shock absorber permits.

Where did you get this information?

Me: So no one is confused - yes the spring rate is adjustable as it is DIRECTLY tied to the height. A spring is over the strut.. when the lower perch (the part that is threaded and affects height) is in the middle of the strut, it is compressing the progressive rate spring somewhat but this in turn positions the lower spring rate higher, has a stiffer spring and thus the car is at a nominal level with nominal "bounce". When you want to slam a car on coil overs, as I have done on about 100,000 VWs, you must determine how low you want the car. Some coil overs will ship with 400 lb springs, but when you lower the lower perch all the way to the bottom, the spring is so uncompressed that theres not much load on the progressive rate spring and you get bounce similar to having cut springs. Likewise, if you raise the lower perch up high, it acts like a spring compressor, compressing the progressive rate spring and making the spring rate very firm.

So yeah, the spring rate is adjustable as it is a biproduct of moving the spring perches. If you are going to SLAM the car you need to find out where the useable spritn rate exists relative to perch height on the said set of springs on the suspension.

THIS IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH ADJUSTABLE DAMPING COIL OVERS! Those models react the way I decribed above but also have damping control. The above "phenomenon" is the reason that people are told to buy damping adjustable coil overs, but you also need to evaluate which spring you should run based on the perch height.

s_ribbens
07-03-2006, 08:49 AM
The spring rate is NOT adjustable in coil over suspension. The only thing adjustable is ride height, and maybe damping rate if the shock absorber permits.

Where did you get this information?

Sure they are adjustable! Just order different spring rates! :p

ILoveMPower
07-03-2006, 09:21 AM
OK, so apparently I recieved bad information, and they don't make GC anymore. Is there any other companies that make these? Or should I just end up going with the Sachs suspension kit?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/jmking/dish.jpg

As you can see, the front wheelgap has GOT to go!

fkong777
07-03-2006, 10:05 AM
As far as I know this is the only one now. FK Konigsport coilovers.
http://www.beastpower.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FK-BE34-CO&Category_Code=fkcoilovers&Store_Code=BMI

KW Inox coilovers doesnt have a e34 application now. they use to.

s_ribbens
07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
If you are looking at coilovers, I don't see why you wouldn't look at something stiffer than the Sachs kit. Good set up, but not going to feel anywhere are sporty as coilovers would. If all you are looking for is a drop, and not the best handling as much (not implying you don't care or that the Sachs is bad), then go Sachs.

For what it's worth, I have Bilstein Sports arriving tommorow and intend to add some Eibach springs later on. It's too bad KW doesn't make their set-up anymore.

s_ribbens
07-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Found KW coilovers. I wonder if they can actually still get them...

http://www.icjperformance.co.uk/products-view.asp?brandid=4&modelid=117

McWatters
07-04-2006, 02:47 PM
heh screw coilovers, i want those magnet things that some audio company makes..

cheers

J.McWatters

Jon K
07-04-2006, 11:36 PM
the bose magnet suspension?

fuzion
07-05-2006, 12:29 AM
you can get kw products here in australia from Dragan @ www.inmotive.com.au

email him direct on dragan@inmotive.com.au, he is the KW au man.

genphreak
07-05-2006, 02:28 AM
OK, so should I just end up going with the Sachs suspension kit? As you can see, the front wheelgap has GOT to go! Er, how much do you want to spend?
http://www.beastpower.com/products/fk/fke34-product.jpghttp://www.beastpower.com/products/fkinfo.jpg
Quantity in Basket:1
Code: FK-BE34-CO
Retail: $2,013.16 (Aus.)
Savings: $134.30 (Aus.)
Your Price: $1,878.86 (Aus.) plus $700 odd for shipping.... that's AUD

I got quoted by their local distrib.
$2430 for stage 1
$2850 for stage 2 (adjustable dampers)

Supplied only in Aust

Stage 1 and 2 use Koni damper inserts so they can be replaced.
Stage 3 are made completely in-house by FK and cost more.... seems pretty good :)