PDA

View Full Version : 535i vs. 540i

nirvana19
07-01-2006, 02:36 PM
As you can tell, I am new here and this is my first post. However, I've been looking at these forums for a while and reading you guys' comments. I'm currently looking for an E34, as this along with the E31 is one of my favorite cars. I used to work with my dad on his '94 530iM.. but that car was totalled two years ago while parked by the DC police :( . The question I have, is what is the best E34 to buy to start with? In general it sounds like the M30 I6 is one of the more reliable engines, and the M60 has a couple quirks. Is this accurate? I am looking for a manual car in good shape. I don't mind working on my car as I am very mechanically inclined, and I also don't mind putting a little money into it to keep it well maintained. Of course, at the same time I do want a solid car that I can depend on and use as a DD... with a little love, of course. Although I did "work" on these cars before... one does have to keep in mind that I am new to this particular car. So, for someone like me, what would you all recommend?

More specifically, M30 or M60? I'd love to find a 95 or 94 M60, but a '93 535iM might be a better match. Also, it would be cheaper...

Lastly, any buying tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much and I hope to be on these forums more often in the future.

wingman
07-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Hi Nirvana19 and welcome. I don't think it will be ease or cost of maintenance that will sway you I think it will be test driving. The people I've spoken to and read about on this site were smitten the first time they drove the 540 (read Paul in NZs latest post). Drive the 535 first then the 540. Basic service on the 540 will be more expensive than the 535 for obvious reasons. The M30 is a cracker of an engine and near on bullet proof and in 3.5 ltr form has miles of torque and is simple to work on. get onto www.bmwe34.net and read the 'what will break' page. Also do a search on this site for 'nikasil' if you are considering the 540. Good luck and enjoy your search. The E34 is a GREAT car in any form.

632 Regal
07-01-2006, 06:12 PM
i have a 530, its cool I think but the extra torque and wheel spinning HP would be sure to raise a smile on your face. Nikasil isn't that big of an issue as long as it idles pretty smooth and starts easy. The M60s also have intake leak issues that have led to MANY replacements of the engine instead of isolating the problem. The intake leaks also will caus it to throw a check engine code which says O2 sensors, ICV does the same. Other than that the 540 supposidly gets better mileage on the highway than the 530.

enjoy:D !

Paul in NZ
07-01-2006, 06:12 PM
As wingman says I have had the opportunity to test drive a 540 6sp (yesterday in fact)The difference between the 540 and the 535 is night and day.I dont drive my cars hard,I like the bigger engines for the tourque they provide.And i tell youthe 540 just blew me away its so smooth and silky and quiet....but behind that civilized exterior is a masively torquey and powerful FEELING engine.At 100 ks which is our national speed limit the 6 spd is turning about 1750 rpm all you have to do is squeeze the throttle and in no time at all with absolutely no drama you are going much much faster
However I was strangely UNDERWHELMED with the car,the 535 feels much sportier and responsive.THere are some other reasons for this as the car i loked at was much lower milege than mine but its overall condition was worse
IMHO the 535 would be a better choice to start with.
My 2c
Dont get me wrong I am seriuosly considering the 540 but i will do a bit more homework first

BillionPa
07-01-2006, 09:00 PM
the 540 probably would feel a lot more responsive with a few mods, nothing major, like better plugs/injectors, and of course, an EAT chip!

mattyb
07-01-2006, 09:39 PM
its a hard call. as for " the car you start with" keep in mind youll probably keep whatever car you get for a long time as you get atttached to them. I have had the 54o for a cupole of years now and love it. in saying that i would lave a manual and there are heaps more 6 cylinder manuals than 8's. I am also considering the 535 as the next car, i am going to keep the 540 but every one raves about the six that i think id like to have both.

angrypancake
07-01-2006, 10:28 PM
you mentioned that the e31 is among the favorite cars. they are an electrical nightmare (paraphrased from Whit Lowell). after owning a '93 525 5 speed, currently a 535i auto, driving a 535i manual, and taking a 95 540i/6 out and flogging the absolute **** out of it (at the owners direction: "dude, stop being a pussy and drive it like you're supposed to") my choice remains with a 535iM. 540i/6 is amazingly torquey with tons of power, but it just doesn't feel as sporty or responsive as the 535. maybe i'm biased. but that constant check engine light in the 540 didn't help. ps, good luck finding a 1993 535iM. ppss there is a 91 over at bf.c, needs some love, but $2900 cash obo takes it, and it's only 30 miles from me. (read: very willing to volunteer to test drive and make sure its in tip top mechanical shape :).)

ska-texas
07-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I very much like yourself am new to e34's. although semi mechanically inclined I have after 4 weeks of ownership (92 535i) have found the I6 very easy to work on. Suspension not to tuff to work on either. There are plenty of aftermarket Items to make it what ever you like. The bonus is that you can find either car for a small sum of cash. Welcome and enjoy the experience.

Paul in NZ
07-01-2006, 11:14 PM
when i say sporty and responsive i am talking more about the chassis than the engine...the engine is what the 540/6 is about....and its prolly a much more modern feeling car than the 535 and thats exactly why the M60 superseded the m30.Bmw needed a more modern large(r) displacement engine than the m30

angrypancake
07-01-2006, 11:45 PM
oh hell ill throw this out there. for sheer torque and power and such and responsiveness: e28 m5. sooooooooooo amazing.

ThoreauHD
07-02-2006, 12:36 AM
If you have a choice, a 540 would be best. Mind the nikasil and the seals(all the rubber parts and O2 sensors will need replacing in all likelihood. I couldn't find one when I was looking for a E34 stylized model. But if I could have found one.., ohhs yes..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/hit.jpg

wjbell
07-02-2006, 01:35 AM
Just to chime in... I own a 90 535i. At one point, I was going to sell and buy a 530i. I test drove a 95 530i from a private owner and the first thing I noticed was sluggish throttle response. It was like reving a cadilac. Very smooth, but felt like there was no performance to the engine. I also drove a 95 740 And had the same feeling; there was plenty of power when you got going, but that initial 'peppyness' from idle to ~2K doesn't exist. The 3.5 I6 just seems like it's quicker to respond. More snappy. For that I like the 6 cyl better.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul in NZ
07-02-2006, 01:47 AM
i can tell you there is nothing wrong with the throtle response of a 540/6 spd

mattyb
07-02-2006, 04:40 AM
yeh. have to disagree on that.the 540 response from a standstill is brilliant. the cars u were driving must have been stuffed completely. My car rockets off the line.

rob101
07-02-2006, 07:04 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/hit.jpg
love that picture
PS no opinion i have an m50b25
woo hooo
like my m50
if you want a responsive engine that revs like its on speed
m50 rules in manual
and no its not fast, but i don't care.

nirvana19
07-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Thank you all for the responses! Surprised to get so many. I am very glad to see that there are so many E34 owners out there! Very re-assuring. Whatever I buy, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. As many of you said, what I buy will probably depend on that test drive. And also, whats actually available....

gtopaul
07-02-2006, 09:37 AM
I'd venture to say that the M30 535i with a 5-speed is one pretty sweet car. Not bad with the automatic either. My only issues with the M60 is the throttle response is pretty mushy with an automatic behind it. The M30's and M50's (535i & 525i) feel and drive a whole lot lighter than a 530i or 540i. The six equipped cars feel a lot more nimble. As far as maintenance, hands down the V8 requires more. As I usually tell customers with V8's, intake gaskets, PCV valves, leaking valve covers, thermostats, radiators, and power steering hoses are a normal maintenance items just like spark plugs.

My 94 540i is a nice car to drive, does have a slightly sluggish throttle response (auto), and feels like the front end is way heavier than a 6 cylinder even though there isn't all that much weight difference.

If you drive a later E39 M62 equipped 540, the best is the 2003, you'll note that the differences in handling is more similar than dissimilar with the 6 cylinder cars. The 540 V8 feels a lot better balanced than the E34. My own personal opinion there but I do drive them all everyday at work.

My son primarily drives the 540 (senior in college) so I drive it usually sparingly or to do some preventive maintenance on it at work. He drove my 525iT (M3 engine) for the first time a few days ago and he commented how nimble it was compared to "his" 540.

I think either the 535 or 540 are good cars but for a first timer I'd say go with the 535 condition & mileage being equal.

Paul

Derek A.
07-02-2006, 11:32 AM
From a cost perspective the 535 is much less expensive than a 540 to maintain. Engine & engine management, clutch/flywheel replacement, transmission etc.

A 540 is a faster car offering more torque, but I have alwasy been a fan of the "big six". I do agree with most that the v8 cars tend to feel a little nose heave as compared to the six cylinder cars.

ThoreauHD
07-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh, I almost forgot. You need to get a EATS or Conforti ECU chip to get rid of the sluggishness if you are looking at a 530. I have plenty of power now, after the firmware switch. It did drive like a cadillac at first, but not anymore. The V8, although with a smaller bore, has enough pep to get your butt moving when you want it.

I don't know about the 540 chipped, but I'd suspect more of the same. With the 530, it's not really optional. You need the chip to get any real responsiveness. Otherwise, yes, it's like driving grandma's car. With the chip, it idles smoother, churns up much faster, and you don't have to push the thing to accelerate. Night and day really. So you have all those options. But starting from zero, I'd get a well maintained 540 and chip the sucker. That would be perfection in a bottle.

ILoveMPower
07-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Sure, I'm biased. Sure, I'm young and think my opinion means more than it really does....

but let my tell you, the M30 is an AMAZING engine, and I'm sure it's the reason they used it for 30 years. I've been riding in a lot of slammed v-dubs lately, and my stock 4x4 535 still feels so gorgeous through the twisties.

it's not often you find a car that EVERY time you step out of it you are still amazed by it's [german] engineered brilliance.

BlueM60
07-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I suppose Ill chime in too. I have a 95 540i auto and love it. Had it for about a year now. I dont think any e34's are going to be rocketships through the corners due top weight, but I think mine handles great, especially being lowered 2 inches. I also looked at a 535i and loved it too, plus it was a manual, but when I went and test drove the 540, I was hooked. The sound from the V8, the smoothness and torque just sold me, it is more to keep up with, ill have to agree, but working at the dealership thats not a huge problem. I also like the fact the the e34 540 is a bit of a rarity, you dont see near as many of them on the road. I do alot of highway cruising also, and the car just effortlessly heads down the highway at 90-100mph no sweat. I think youll be happy with whatever you choose.

-Ben

nirvana19
07-02-2006, 11:18 PM
There seems to be an automatic at a lot nearby...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=199716906&dealer_id=56017299&car_year=1994&mod_bookmark_id=null&search_type=both&num_records=100&make=BMW&distance=25&model=540I&address=20817&certified=&advanced=&max_price=&bkms=1151898754616&min_price=&end_year=2007&start_year=1981&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=8

Its a 540iA (not ideal but could be a start). Of course, the details are a bit scant. It has a clean carfax, but I don't think that indicates much of anything. I might go take a look at it tomorrow, but I question the amount of trust I have for used car lots. In all likelihood I'll pass this up for something a bit more manual... not to mention trustworthy. But its probably worth a test drive.

JerseySi
07-03-2006, 12:34 AM
Personally - 535i, manual given the choice (knew i should've bought the one I was offered, have an auto and a manual 35 :s )

Have driven a 540, and it just didn't have quite the same feeling of being 'connected' with the car..
Even my 535 Auto leaves me with a big smile every time i boot it some, especially when you use Manual mode :D

nirvana19
07-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Any ideas on that 540iA i posted the link to? I was in the area of the lot today, but I couldn't find it and stupidly didn't note the address. Apparently, I was a block away from it.

The Bigfella
07-03-2006, 06:04 PM
The 535i manual is a lovely drive. I bought mine to replace my sons's E21 320i that died with 510,000k on it. Its a nicer drive than the M for 80% of my driving - the 0-4,000 rpm type driving (but that other 20% :D ).

Ian

broadie777
07-03-2006, 06:10 PM
540 any day big car big money dont be afraid