PDA

View Full Version : Aux Fan Resistor Question

GoldenEagleFan
07-01-2006, 12:33 PM
The AC saga continues.

Got the system recharghed yesterday and never noticed that the aux fan wasn't coming on.

I checked the fan by jumping the radiator tem sender and the fan came on high but not low. After checking the resistor I found it to be open.

Since it's late Saturday morning I went to the local NAPA store and found an older Chrysler ignition coil resitor that looked heavy duty but no indication of the wattage capability. It measures 1.7 ohms. When I put this in the circuit, no luck getting the fan to run but biy dies that resistor get hot. Shorting the two resistor leads the fan runs.

My question is, if I get the BMW resistor I need, is the 1 ohm difference down to 0.5 ohm enough to get the fan to run or do I have a fan issue.

I can hear both the low and high speed relays working when I short the temp sender so I believe the relays are good. As well I checked the fuses and they are OK.

Any insight?

GoldenEagleFan
07-01-2006, 01:30 PM
And it's more expensive then I had hoped. Took the fan and carefully examined it as I was thinking it wasn't spinning as freely as I thought it should. Looking carefully I see parts of magenets broke off and dragging around inside. Every once and awhile they position just right and lock up the fan. Oh well...the aux fan blues....Looks like a few Bicardi and cokes and a Nascar race to chase those blues away....

KenB
07-01-2006, 01:38 PM
The right resistor did the trick for me; my indy charged $40 for the part, $40 for freon and $100 labor. It's working good now.

BMA has the aux fan for around $235, my indy quoted $500 but when pressed he looked it up and admitted his cost was $240. If you need one, don't pay more than that.

Good luck, have a Bacardi and Coke for me...:D

Derek A.
07-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I removed the resitor all together from my car. If the fan needs to run - might as well be on high speed.

I also fitten anaftermarket hayden fan to my car. Was $60 at Murray's auto parts and works really well. Took a little creativity with the mounting - but its solid.