PDA

View Full Version : What brake pads are you using?

wingman
07-01-2006, 04:51 AM
I thought there'd be a heap of info on this in the search area but after two pages I gave up.

I'm about the buy some rear brake pads. I can get Bendix and a few other makes cost price but I'm keen to give the EBC 'Green Stuff' pads a go. I'm also interested to hear if anyone is using ATE (OEM???) and how they are. Please let me know and, if in OZ, how much you are paying.

zmuff
07-01-2006, 05:55 AM
If Raybestos Quiet Stop pads are available down your way, I am very pleased with them. Non-ferrous ceramic pads, almost dustless, no squeal, and don't appear to eat up the rotors. Work fandamtastic at the car club drivings schools, especially when hot. PGD394QS on the front and PGD396QS on the rear.

632 Regal
07-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Raybestos QS

BillionPa
07-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Axxis Ultimate on slotted rotors, they arent broken in yet so i cant comment on the stopping power yet.

I had Jurid pads on before, they are the OEM pads.

mattyb
07-01-2006, 09:36 AM
mate I got a full set of bendix for $100.00. i have got to say they work perfect and i really dont consider that anything more exotic or expensive is worth the money if its not for track or any specific performance application. I have always used bendix pads on every car ive had and for e34 its made no differance. they work and for the wear that we go through thay are good enough for me. I dont doubt that there are superior pads about but at the end of the day the bendix are not as cheap shitty pad and the quality is good. they are made to take the sensor, albeit the original in the vehicle, but there are so many other things that need money spent. mortgage, wife, family business etc. Id rather replace a set of bendix every year( 10 minute job) for a hundred bucks than try a new brand. Just my 2 bobs worth. if u need a hand when ur doing them give a yell!

E34 530
07-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Raybestos QS. Jeff (632 Regal) recommended them to me and Ihave loved them ever since. Like everyone else said, no dust and great stopping control.

nuclearfusion
07-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Akebono ceramic seem to be very good so far too (haven't been on for long yet). They are often quoted as an alternative to the Raybestos QS.

Enjoy!

Fusion

Martin in Bellevue
07-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Akebono ceramic seem to be very good so far too (haven't been on for long yet). They are often quoted as an alternative to the Raybestos QS.

Enjoy!

Fusion
I like the Hawk ceramics on the 535 better than the Akebono ceramics on the m3. The Akebono's lack ultimate stopping bite when things get warm, on the street. Akebono's leave the wheels very clean; Hawk's generate a little dust, but bite much better.

Qube
07-01-2006, 10:25 AM
http://www.concept1.ca/images/PBR%20Ultimate%20450w.jpg

nuclearfusion
07-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I like the Hawk ceramics on the 535 better than the Akebono ceramics on the m3. The Akebono's lack ultimate stopping bite when things get warm, on the street. Akebono's leave the wheels very clean; Hawk's generate a little dust, but bite much better.

I'd be keenly interested in a comparison between the ceramic pads from Hawk, Akebono, Raybestos, PBR and Bosch (have I left anybody out?)

I know Bill R. has commented on the Raybestos QS and Akebono, and that the gossip on the street is that the PBR and Bosch pads may be a bit dustier. Other than that I don't have more information and would really like to hear any experiences comparing these.

Enjoy!

Fusion

liquidtiger720
07-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Hawk Ceramics.

wingman
07-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I was talking to my mum yesterday about the new Bendix pads (how cool is it when you can talk to your mum about brake pads!) she was saying that they have a new range out that doesn't need bedding in. I can't remember what they were called. I used Bendix on the E12 even on track days and found them fine.

Qube
07-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Dusty? Yeah them PBRs are dusty :|

fkong777
07-01-2006, 02:55 PM
raybesto QS will dust badly at the later end of the pads life. They dust less at when they are new. probably still dust less than stock pads tho

I just got a set of Akebono Euro.. Let see how that works out after I install them.

Alan_525i
07-01-2006, 06:47 PM

Enjoy!

Fusion

I have been running the Akebono Euro Ceramics for a few thousand miles now and have been very happy. Almost no dust, no squeal, good feel and panic braking has been confidence inspiring.

BigKriss
07-01-2006, 10:38 PM
I think the bendix ultimates don't require bedding in. The bendix advance are the cheapest/best pad at around $50 per axel, while the ultimates have the same operating temperature as the EBC green pads (550 degrees celcius).

myles
07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I have ATE pads on at the moment, and the dust on the front is crazy. I have a set of raybestos qs ready to go on when the ate pads wear down a bit more.

I've found the ate's are wearing very slowly, but the rotors(also ATE) are wearing quite fast. Braking performance is good.

Zeuk in Oz
07-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Tony, I bought pads from the dealer when I bought my car.

It had some low dust pads on it when I got it and they were terrible. I find the standard pads fantastic !

I don't know who makes them though.

Cheers

Bo

liquidtiger720
07-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Tony, I bought pads from the dealer when I bought my car.

It had some low dust pads on it when I got it and they were terrible. I find the standard pads fantastic !

I don't know who makes them though.

Cheers

Bo

jurid?

wingman
07-03-2006, 03:25 AM
jurid?

I thought it might be ATE, just a guess though.

Bimmerman
07-03-2006, 04:57 AM
Went with original pads and sensors from the $tealer- no squeal, good feel, heaps of dust, and only shafted AU$449.03 for the pleasure... (not incl. fitting)

Might use bendix next time :)

BigKriss
07-04-2006, 03:01 AM
why did you buy from the stealer?

Went with original pads and sensors from the $tealer- no squeal, good feel, heaps of dust, and only shafted AU$449.03 for the pleasure... (not incl. fitting)

rob101
07-04-2006, 03:19 AM

man i should open my own stealer.:p
its amazing sometimes what these tools get away with.

Zeuk in Oz
07-04-2006, 04:02 AM
why did you buy from the stealer?
Can't speak for Bimmerman, but as I did the same thing when I bought my E34, let me answer from my perspective.

Brakes, rotors and tyres (as well as oil and coolant) are the things on my cars that I am really anal about.

When I bought my pads from the dealer, it was because I wanted to improve what I felt was poor brake performance with the dustless pads that were in it when I bought it - have no idea of the brand they were as it was not stamped on them anywhere.

At that point I hadn't found this site and didn't want to be disappointed with what I bought. I reasoned that BMW must have use a good quality brake pad for the car to have earned all its stopping accolades and so I decided to not take the risk.

I have not been disappointed - my car stops brilliantly.

Obviously if I could find the same pad elsewhere without the BMW stamp on it I would certainly buy it, but as I still don't know what brand they are I am happy with my decision.

I did much the same with my Mercedes ML 270 CDI the other day - bought all 4 sets from the dealer to be certain that the brake performance didn't suffer. (AUD $ 600 - ouch)

Sometimes I feel it is safer to err on the side of caution than be stuck with some inferior brake pad that might disappoint for its entire life.

That isn't to say that there might not be superior pads out there, however I don't want a pad for the racetrack etc. I just want a pad that stops my car brilliantly - and the stock pads certainly do.

Much the same with tyres - I just love my Michelin Pilot HX-MXM tyres so much that I wouldn't dream of using any other brand or style unless they are discontinued.

Amazing how set in our ways old folks like me can become. A lifetime of experience is probably how I would prefer to phrase it ! ;)