PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a new 1995 525i owner

gymkata
06-30-2006, 11:15 PM
First of all, I think this site is a good resource for e34 owners.
As a new owner of a 70K 525i, I had several questions (see pic for reference).
#1 One weird thing that the car was doing was making a rattling sound when the car went over 50 MPH and it sounded like it was coming behind the dash. Turns out a local mechanic had the same problem and was able to point out that the circled yellow plastic needs to be reseated with double sided tape. Not sure if others had a similar problem and had a better solution.

#2, Is the plastic cover here missing on the 525i? It's the cover above the headlights on the passenger side. It looks kinda funny like something should be here.(Green lasso)

#3 The car makes a buzzing sound for several minutes after the car stops. It makes a clicking sound where the pink lasso is coming from (the heater core selenoid I think??) Any experience what this annoying buzzing sound might be from. It's not that loud but it's noticeable. The sound stays on when the car is on but obvious when the car is off.

#4 What's with the stereo, if I press the buttons after the car is off, it starts beeping like it's going to blow up.

#5 Also, any suggestions on where I can get a CD changer , 13 pin? I bought one from a yard and I guess they made different changers for the 530i vs the 525i from that year so it doesn't mount right.

I'd love hear some feedback.
Have a nice long weekend.

BillionPa
06-30-2006, 11:45 PM
#1 i prefer weatherstrip tape or "blackout trim tape", depending on where the tape needs to be. Scotch tape will not last long. replacing the lock screws at the same time is a VERY good idea

#2 looks ok to me

#3 that should shut the hell up when the car turns off. there is an aux water pump underneath the solenoids.

#4 thats an anti-theft thing, completely normal

#5 ebay? id replace the head unit and amp with alpine before getting an old changer.

Yiorgos
07-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Not sure how helpful my knowledge is (I'm not a mechanic), my car buzzes too when it turns off. Have you got your heater/AC on more than 0 (rotary dial under the radio)?

If any air is on (either hot or cold), there is a motor that will close some flaps inside, this takes about 10-15 seconds. If you don't have any air on, then this sound shouldn't happen.

Good luck.

gymkata
07-01-2006, 12:02 AM
#1 i prefer weatherstrip tape or "blackout trim tape", depending on where the tape needs to be. Scotch tape will not last long. replacing the lock screws at the same time is a VERY good idea

#2 looks ok to me

#3 that should shut the hell up when the car turns off. there is an aux water pump underneath the solenoids.

#4 thats an anti-theft thing, completely normal

#5 ebay? id replace the head unit and amp with alpine before getting an old changer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1--> what are these lock screws that you are referring to?
#3--> where is this aux water pump located? easy to replace? prone to failure? How do I make sure that is the cause of the sound?
#5--> I've noticed that the mounts are not included for the 525i? Noticing most units sold on ebay don't come with mounts that will work for the 525i.

gymkata
07-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Not sure how helpful my knowledge is (I'm not a mechanic), my car buzzes too when it turns off. Have you got your heater/AC on more than 0 (rotary dial under the radio)?

If any air is on (either hot or cold), there is a motor that will close some flaps inside, this takes about 10-15 seconds. If you don't have any air on, then this sound shouldn't happen.

Good luck.

I turn off the AC after I shut down. Seems like that isn't it. The mechanics I've had look at it think it is some fan.

BillionPa
07-01-2006, 12:15 AM
you should be able to see them holding that plastic piece to the window and lower area.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=64_0114&hg=64&fg=18

thats the diagram of the heater area on my car, the pump being #1

if thats whats buzzing after the car is off, some relay or something in the car didnt shut off.

if its from more inside the car, then its a flap actuator. there are about 7 that could be making that noise.

in my car, that sound meant my ac control unit was failing, it was actually corroding, doesnt work very well now.

REPLACE THE MICROFILTER!!!

#5 no idea. sorry

Alexlind123
07-01-2006, 01:08 AM
I think all e34s buzz after they are turned off...

Kalevera
07-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Use the correct fasteners for the wind screen drains, double sided tape is a rasquachi solution...tacky. I can see at least one missing fastener in the picture.

The heater valves, aux pump, and ICV will make noise with the key turned to position 1 or above. The heater box flaps will move and the recirc flaps will open when the car is shut off with the system on in any way. All of which creates noise.

For what it's worth, the car in the picture isn't a '95 -- is it the one in question?

best, whit

gymkata
07-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Use the correct fasteners for the wind screen drains, double sided tape is a rasquachi solution...tacky. I can see at least one missing fastener in the picture.

The heater valves, aux pump, and ICV will make noise with the key turned to position 1 or above. The heater box flaps will move and the recirc flaps will open when the car is shut off with the system on in any way. All of which creates noise.

For what it's worth, the car in the picture isn't a '95 -- is it the one in question?

best, whit

You're right it's not my car (a '95) i just nabbed someone else's car since I didn't feel like taking a pic of my car's hood.

trumpetr
07-01-2006, 06:19 PM
First of all, I think this site is a good resource for e34 owners.
As a new owner of a 70K 525i, I had several questions (see pic for reference).
#1 One weird thing that the car was doing was making a rattling sound when the car went over 50 MPH and it sounded like it was coming behind the dash. Turns out a local mechanic had the same problem and was able to point out that the circled yellow plastic needs to be reseated with double sided tape. Not sure if others had a similar problem and had a better solution.

#2, Is the plastic cover here missing on the 525i? It's the cover above the headlights on the passenger side. It looks kinda funny like something should be here.(Green lasso)

#3 The car makes a buzzing sound for several minutes after the car stops. It makes a clicking sound where the pink lasso is coming from (the heater core selenoid I think??) Any experience what this annoying buzzing sound might be from. It's not that loud but it's noticeable. The sound stays on when the car is on but obvious when the car is off.

#4 What's with the stereo, if I press the buttons after the car is off, it starts beeping like it's going to blow up.

#5 Also, any suggestions on where I can get a CD changer , 13 pin? I bought one from a yard and I guess they made different changers for the 530i vs the 525i from that year so it doesn't mount right.

I'd love hear some feedback.
Have a nice long weekend.

How many miles, on your '95?
#2- yup,,theres a cover that is missing,,no bigie,,, WWW.realoem.com
#3 the buzzing sound when you turn off the engine is good,,,,its only bad if you dont hear it. It is the HVAC system doing its thing. Im not sure about the clicking noises. How long since the cabin air filter has been changed(if ever)?

HDhandyman
07-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Gymkata, welcome. Please complete your profile so that everyone knows what you are talking about. There can be model, year, and regional differences in everyone's BMW, so please be kind and fill out this info.

As for your stereo, you can still get the mounts from the stealer for cheap. I just replaced mine two months ago. Also, check with your local car stereo places for the unit itself, as they may still have 1 or 2 on the shelf. I just bought a replacement from a local shop for $200.00 ---still in its original packaging.--You never know.;)

Russell
07-01-2006, 08:53 PM
My 95 is also missing the passenger side cover? Did they put it on the 95? Per RealOEM, from 9/93 on could have covers behind the headlights on both sides. I may order the missing passenger side cover or covers. Thanks for the heads up.